2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm asking for your help, as perhaps somebody has encountered the same problem as the one I've been having.

I have a 2016 Mazda 3 with the i-ACTIVESENSE package and lowered springs, now for the last 3 month I started noticing a very small rattling noise coming fro the upper console plastics where the sensors are located, pictures provided below.

I have tried everything to solve this issue, 3m tame the plastic covers to the windshield, bought replacement cover, put some small foam pieces between the clips , took it to the dealership and they were not able to hear and replicate the problem and yet the rattling continues.

It is important to mention that the rattling only occurs on uneven roads / bad roads and when the car is in a low gear and it's not annoying but it's very noticeable, of course this could go away if I listen to music but hey I don't like listening to music when I'm driving and It just bothers me that I know it's there.

So my questions are:

1- Perhaps I'm wrong and this rattling is perfectly normal and there is nothing to do about it?

2- Has anyone had this similar experience? how did you solve it?

3- On uneven / bad roads is the car suppose to rattle?

4- Do lowering springs add or have any effect into the rattling factor ?

Thanks for your input and advice as I'm out of ideas what to do for these plastics to stay put and for the rattle to go away forever, and literally I'm going crazy trying to solve it!

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hopefully others who have had this happen and fixed can comment.

Rattles can travel though. On my Miata, it sounded as though I had a rattle in the center console below the radio about dead center there.

Turned out to be from a top receiver attachment screw that had come out and was rolling around in the plastic at the top center of the windshield, near where you're thinking your rattles are coming from in the 3.

Maybe not there but actually in the dash or glove box?

Ralph

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@RalphVa, thanks for your input. I'm 100% sure the sound is coming from that area since I took the covers off, drove around and no rattling, put covers on, drove around and I heard the rattling.

Now I think this started to happened because the clip retention "housings" on the windshield (where the actuals clips of the covers connect) have become looser and looser, not loose loose but have lost their "holding" force ( I hope this makes sense). The antenna GPS on my car is installed where the technology console is, I had problems with it a while back, so the technician was taking the plastics on and off, on and off, every-time the covers are taken off it offers some resistance, therefore the surface of where the clips grasp into becomes flatter and flatter, and not tight and rigid as it used to be.

Since I've been taking the covers on and off by myself I have been making it worse I think, therefore I think the rattling is because of the plastics clips of the cover vibrating constantly against the retention "housing".

I tried to look at the problem at different perspective today, I put foam on the clips in the plastics cover, this means that the rattling will be less likely since the clips are tighter and are not moving inside the retention housing, and they absorve the impact when they meet with retention housing. I tested it just now and it seems that it has resolved the issue :) (Hopefully y!!!), I barely hear like a faded sound but it's not a rattling noise. (The fading sound only happens on bad roads)

Well that's my best theory of what I think happened that caused this rattling problem. I don't remember of ever hearing this noise when the vehicle was a couple of months new. Now the only things that bothers me a bit that I know that I glued some foam inside the plastics covers (not OEM) but as long as it is not visible and the rattling doesn't happen then I don't care!

I hope more people are able to comment about this and for this post to be helpful to other!

·
Registered
353 Posts
If the rattling is due to metal something doing it, you could buy a big magnet and run it over the surface of the console. That's what I did to nail down where the Miata rattle was coming from. Once I put the magnet to the right of the mirror and just above it, the magnet latched onto the screw that was loose, and I could hear it being drug around behind the plastic.

I gooped the magnet in place to stop the rattle until I could get around to removing the plastic sheath and putting the screw back.

Ralph

1 - 4 of 4 Posts