2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there, who replaced the standard battery by an Optima Red Top on a (European) Mazda 3 2014 BM?
I had an Optima red top in my former Mazda 6 for several years and this battery did a great job. So, in the near future, I planned to switch to an Optima Red Top (RT C 4.2, RT R 4.2 or RT S 4.2). However, according to the manual, my Mazda 3 needs a 12V-55/65Ah. The Optima offers 12V-50Ah.
So I wondered, are there any specific issues/problems in upgrading the standard battery to an Optima battery?

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
No personal experience with them other than reading lots of reviews where they state "they don't make them like they used to" regarding Optima batteries.
I've read experiences of service people commenting on abnormally higher warranty claims with them.

I use Kirkland batteries from Costco.. 7 (or is it 8 year) warranties on them compared the usual 5 years on most other brands. Priced similar to average priced batteries but with significantly longer warranties.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Anyone out there, who replaced the standard battery by an Optima Red Top on a (European) Mazda 3 2014 BM?
I had an Optima red top in my former Mazda 6 for several years and this battery did a great job. So, in the near future, I planned to switch to an Optima Red Top (RT C 4.2, RT R 4.2 or RT S 4.2). However, according to the manual, my Mazda 3 needs a 12V-55/65Ah. The Optima offers 12V-50Ah.
So I wondered, are there any specific issues/problems in upgrading the standard battery to an Optima battery?
I'm using a Optima Yellow Top which is the larger capacity version of the Red but with less CCA currently for my 2014 sTouring its been only 7 months so I can't comment on how long it'll last but so far everything is fine. 65Ah is just how long the battery will last if its not being continuously charged by the alternator so if you are running a lot of electronics or have a lot of things that plug into the car such as aftermarket speakers, phones, dash cam, external GPS, etc then maybe get something more or that matches the original.

As mentioned, I did hear that Optima's quality isn't as great as it has been in the past since they move production to a new country so I was slightly concerned when I bought it so yeah, but that's why there's a warranty.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I ordered a Northstar battery, you can also get the x2 from batteries plus. Similar pricing and better specs with a longer warranty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts