2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Mazda 3S, 2.5L, 6 speed manual with a stock battery. Last year was the first (Michigan) winter with the car and it was not a fun experience. Long story short, I had trouble starting my car more times than not and that's if it started at all. After a couple trips to the dealer, I concluded the problem was most likely a dud of a battery that was too puny if it worked as it should.

The car is out of warranty and I want to replace the battery before the cold weather sinks in. The stock battery is a Group 26R - a small relatively hard to find variety without impressive stats (due to its size, I'm sure). After measuring the battery box and reviewing the dimensions of available batteries, I think that a Group 34 should fit. The 34 is about 2" longer and about 1/8" taller and I think the battery box should accommodate this? The Group 34 has almost double the CCA as comparable 26Rs and will be roughly 4x as many as the stock battery (as I remember). But, there are a couple questions I have:

1. Has anybody done this before? Did it work? Were modifications required?

2. Does anybody know if the battery would actually fit in the box without serious modifications?

3. The 26R has a righthand positive post whereas the 34 has a lefthand positive post. Dealing with this should be as easy as turning the battery 180 degrees, correct? Is there enough slack in the positive cable to move it further over in the box (i.e. currently the post is ~2" from the left side of the battery box (where the positive cable enters), when I rotate it the post would be ~2" from the right side of the battery box)?

Any thoughts would be great!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
3. The 26R has a righthand positive post whereas the 34 has a lefthand positive post. Dealing with this should be as easy as turning the battery 180 degrees, correct?
I don't know about the fitment issues that you might encounter, but with respect to placement of the terminals, just get a 34R battery.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts