2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I took the plunge and spent some money to upgrade my OEM black cloth seats to custom fog/black leather seats. I'm pretty happy with the results and wanted to share!

Overall, very satisfied! It makes the cabin feel slightly more spacious and much brighter. Comfy too.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Looks good. Just curious how long the process took to get it done and installed? Mine came with black leather in my sGT and I plan on changing it to all white/ivory color in the future once these are worn. My driver seat already showing a lot of wear and tear lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks good. Just curious how long the process took to get it done and installed? Mine came with black leather in my sGT and I plan on changing it to all white/ivory color in the future once these are worn. My driver seat already showing a lot of wear and tear lol
I did some research, and there was a Katzkin installer and a CST installer in my area. I decided to go through my Mazda dealership that contracts out the work to CST because I figured they would have my back if anything went wrong. I've only had great experiences with my dealer so far. Going through them, it took about a week, even though they quoted me 3-4 days. The Katzkin installer said he could get it done in 1 day though, so I'm guessing it really depends on your installer and how busy they are.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I got Katzkin installed in my 2012. It only took them half a day, including adding heated seats. Dropped it off at 7am and picked it up that afternoon. It must depend on how many people are working on a car at once but it's a quick process regardless.

·
Registered
290 Posts
looks great!! I can't even tell its not OEM
But the back seat looks kinda funky

Mind telling us how much the total cost was?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The Katzkin installer was definitely confident that they'd be able to finish within a day. CST must've had a different process. I thought about getting heated seats but decided against it.

The rear seats looks fine to me - I wanted the same black design to be on both the front and the rear seats so that it's not pure fog color in the back. To each their own though; the style may not suit everyone :)

Total cost was $1200 including tax for parts + labor through my dealer. For Katzkin, I was quoted approximately $1600 to $1800 for parts + labor.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The rear seats looks fine to me - I wanted the same black design to be on both the front and the rear seats so that it's not pure fog color in the back. To each their own though; the style may not suit everyone :)
I don't think it's the look (which I like, btw), it's the stretching/bunching in the top panel, and in the bottom corner of the rear seat back.

When I installed leather upholstery (from a kit) in my other car (Mr. Mike's in my Fiero), I had to take a lot of precaution to avoid that bunching.

That said, the one in the back might just come out on its own if you use the back seat. The one in the corner might take some light slapping around it to spread out the bunched material.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think it's the look (which I like, btw), it's the stretching/bunching in the top panel, and in the bottom corner of the rear seat back.

When I installed leather upholstery (from a kit) in my other car (Mr. Mike's in my Fiero), I had to take a lot of precaution to avoid that bunching.

That said, the one in the back might just come out on its own if you use the back seat. The one in the corner might take some light slapping around it to spread out the bunched material.
Oh that's what you meant. The wrinkles actually went away after I had some passengers in the rear seat (the bottom wrinkle was shifted out by me after).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Looks great! I was planning on doing the same the my Sport before too long, although i was going to use Leatherseats.com. How's the leather quality?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks great! I was planning on doing the same the my Sport before too long, although i was going to use Leatherseats.com. How's the leather quality?
I also looked into leatherseats.com and was thinking about going with them, but I'm wasn't sure about self-installing the seats.

The quality appears to be great! It feels sturdy but soft, and doesn't seem to be wrinkling or rubbing off color from jeans. The colors look nice and the stitching/patterns look flawless to me. I'm sure leatherseats.com or Katzkin can provide the same good quality though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts