2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found out today my car doesn't like to race very long in temperatures in the 117+ range.
What options do I have other than the super expensive cs one?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Heat is the enemy. I'd go all out with a bigger radiator and higher flowing fans, higher pressure radiator cap, lower temp thermostat and if temp is still an issue, work on some vents to get the heat outta the engine bay.

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have it down to two.
KoyoRad for 364

or CS for 349

basied on the photos, workmanship on on the CS looks spotty vs the koyorad manufacturing
Koyorad comes with a lifetime warranty, CS has a 2 year (and CS does answer my E-mails so good luck with that)

i can add a fiberglass ducting to help with forced cooling

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Heat is the enemy. I'd go all out with a bigger radiator and higher flowing fans, higher pressure radiator cap, lower temp thermostat and if temp is still an issue, work on some vents to get the heat outta the engine bay.
Our systems are already pressurized pretty high for an "economy" car. I'd say if you are in that much heat I'd worry about power steering and transmission temps as well.

Just can't go all out for a full session. Only would go balls to the wall half the session if it is that hot no matter the car. Not worth the risk. Must've been super slimy out there too

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Our systems are already pressurized pretty high for an "economy" car. I'd say if you are in that much heat I'd worry about power steering and transmission temps as well.

Just can't go all out for a full session. Only would go balls to the wall half the session if it is that hot no matter the car. Not worth the risk. Must've been super slimy out there too
power steering not that big a deal and manual transmission doesn't have a temp sensor, but the fluid gets changed fairly often so not that big a deal.

Full balz or none at all!!!
and it was greasy as hell as well, didn't help other cars where spinning out as well and leaving fine dirt on the track.

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
I'm just glad to see a speed3 being tracked. Hats off to you. Wish I had one to track. Be just more fun than it already is in my car.

·
The Turbo Guy
205 Posts
- KoyoRad radiatior
- Mishimoto universal oil cooler with thermostat
- Larger intercooler
- Don't go flat out after the car has been stagnant for awhile and the intercooler is hot
- OEM ducting should already be pretty good
- If that still isn't enough, you could get a custom tune with slightly retarded timing. It would improve knock margin and put less heat into the combustion chamber walls.

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
- KoyoRad radiatior
+1

- Mishimoto universal oil cooler with thermostat
not a lot of room for that

- Larger intercooler
CPe is pretty big

- Don't go flat out after the car has been stagnant for awhile and the intercooler is hot
the over heated happened on track 7-8 laps in, being nut to butt on shelby GT may helped me

- OEM ducting should already be pretty good
not really, there where louvers on the back side that got stuck closed due being dirty :/

- If that still isn't enough, you could get a custom tune with slightly retarded timing. It would improve knock margin and put less heat into the combustion chamber walls.
i already have this, + has additional fueling to do just that. and according to Cobb, the set the fans to both come on sooner

·
Registered
13 Posts
^this. I don't recall anyone else offering a larger radiator other than CS. I think they have one in their Scratch and Dent sale.
Edge offers one made by KOYO, IIRC

Edit: Derp, just saw it's already mentioned. SMH

Reactions: sin_loki

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Edge offers one made by KOYO, IIRC

Edit: Derp, just saw it's already mentioned. SMH
waiting this weekend to get time check compression / leakdown and see how i done fucked up the block. no sense getting a larger rad if the motor is cooked.

·
Registered
13 Posts
waiting this weekend to get time check compression / leakdown and see how i done fucked up the block. no sense getting a larger rad if the motor is cooked.
Yeah, gotta budget. But upgrading the cooling system would be good for the future though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts