2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just upgraded my 2010 MS3's stereo yesterday. I am stoked with the results. This was my second Bose and I have never been that impressed. It was good, but this system kicks it's ass.

I added a Rockford Fosgate 3sixty1, Alpine PDX-5 amp, Alpine SPR-17S in front and Alpine SPR-17C in rear.
For a sub I went with a JL 10W3v3-4 in a sealed box.

The installation was done by Digital Audio in Oceanside, Ca. The installer, Chris was great and everything except the sub is carefully hidden. All systems from the head unit work as before. We left the center 5.1 channel connected, but I never have it on. I was VERY worried about digging into this system with all its integration, but the guys at Digital Audio know their business and I would highly recommend them.

The 3sixty1 is cool in that it has separate eq control for all channels, and is controlled via a bluetooth enabled laptop or MS Mobile phone. It also has a separate controller Chris mounted under the steering wheel to control the sub or gain. I used a laptop to change the eq settings and it works in real time. BTW the amp is rated on the box for 75x4 + 300, but the test certificate from the factory indicates 104 W x 4 + 405, nice..

The difference is incredible.

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Not expensive unless you work at best buy! hehe :tongue:

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Solid choices in gear...I really like the Alpine Type R stuff at that price point, excellent bang for the buck. The 3Sixty is a great unit as well, very flexible and damn near infinitely tuneable it would probably drive someone with my level of OCD insane ;). How's the JL sub? I almost went JL as well with a 12W6v2 but opted to go all Hertz to "keep it inthe family" so to speak.

Do post pics, I'd really like to see what your installer came up with. Glad to hear that you're enjoying great quality sound :yes:!

·
Newb... =)
745 Posts
pics please...:clap:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just upgraded my 2010 MS3's stereo yesterday. I am stoked with the results. This was my second Bose and I have never been that impressed. It was good, but this system kicks it's ass.

I added a Rockford Fosgate 3sixty1, Alpine PDX-5 amp, Alpine SPR-17S in front and Alpine SPR-17C in rear.
For a sub I went with a JL 10W3v3-4 in a sealed box.

The installation was done by Digital Audio in Oceanside, Ca. The installer, Chris was great and everything except the sub is carefully hidden. All systems from the head unit work as before. We left the center 5.1 channel connected, but I never have it on. I was VERY worried about digging into this system with all its integration, but the guys at Digital Audio know their business and I would highly recommend them.

The 3sixty1 is cool in that it has separate eq control for all channels, and is controlled via a bluetooth enabled laptop or MS Mobile phone. It also has a separate controller Chris mounted under the steering wheel to control the sub or gain. I used a laptop to change the eq settings and it works in real time. BTW the amp is rated on the box for 75x4 + 300, but the test certificate from the factory indicates 104 W x 4 + 405, nice..

The difference is incredible.
Please provide pictures of your complete setup. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Solid choices in gear...I really like the Alpine Type R stuff at that price point, excellent bang for the buck. The 3Sixty is a great unit as well, very flexible and damn near infinitely tuneable it would probably drive someone with my level of OCD insane ;). How's the JL sub? I almost went JL as well with a 12W6v2 but opted to go all Hertz to "keep it inthe family" so to speak.

Do post pics, I'd really like to see what your installer came up with. Glad to hear that you're enjoying great quality sound :yes:!
Not trying to be rude, just want to enlighten you...

JL is shit for the price, you pay for the name brand not the quality, for the same amount of money you can spend on JL branded stuff you could get WAY better SQ, SPL and build quality by going with another brand like alpine.

I had a set of 4x 6.5" alpine type R speakers pushing 100W rms a pop and they were really good while below SNR range (84dB) but once you hit above 84dB, the clarity drops off so quickly...

For the money the speakers were an alright buy.... on paper the wattage and power stats are awesome but there are way better speakers out there for the money.

The alpine type R subwoofers are the best thing you can buy for the money SQ / build quality wise.

I had 2x 10" type R subs pushing 500W rms in a sealed box and they out-blasted ANYTHING else in that wattage range not just the price range... JL, Kicker, Rockfords, you name it... They hit SUPER tight and punchy, I listen to alot of metal and the type r's can cover crazy fast double bass with EASE.

·
Registered
63 Posts
any reccommendations for speakers comparable to alpine in performance but cheaper?

·
Registered
66 Posts
any reccommendations for speakers comparable to alpine in performance but cheaper?
Nothing compares to the Alpine Type R speakers in terms of "performance" (SPL).

If you want something CHEAPER than a Type R set, you can kiss quality goodbye.

They have the highest RMS wattage in the price range and nothing even comes close to 100W rms for the price.

Just because it takes a higher wattage doesn't mean it a better speaker though... It has the POTENTIAL to play louder, but when you hit the higher levels of power the clarity drops off and unless you like annoying static crackle shit in your music you will never be cranking it that loud.

You can get max clarity @ a higher volume on a speaker with lower wattage if its a nicer speaker.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts