2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has any one attempted into upgrading the i trim tail lights into the s trim tail lights? I'm aware straight from dealership and Mazda is crazy expensive but maybe someone knows any third party or cheaper but yet assuring as that from the manufacturer? Figured with the whole new face lifted and such 2017s, the 14-16s would be cheaper... I've read that the tail lights on the sedans are different than the hatchbacks. Just thoughts... I think the tail lights are beautifully designed and look absolutely gorgeous when lit at night... FYI I'm aware too it's not a simple plug and play...

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
I want to do this as well, i really love how they look but i think it's pretty expensive to do it...

There are 2 or 3 treads about this on the forum :)

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to do this as well, i really love how they look but i think it's pretty expensive to do it...

There are 2 or 3 treads about this on the forum :)

Yeah I've searched the forum and they all have been dead ends. Maybe this thread can hopefully lead us somewhere?

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20170123232144&SearchText=2015+mazda3+tail+light
You can buy them from Alixpress :)
And some of the taillights on Alixpress, is "plug and play" but when you switch from normal bulb to LED, you need restiance because the LED uses low power, and the car thinks the bulb is Dead, but some dealer on AX have a guide in how to do it.

Hope that answered you're quistion :)
What I've learned from Alixpress is that they mostly aren't "Plug and Play" lol few are... Ive searched on that site and have only seen for sedans though. I read in this forum that the tail lights from the sedans are slightly different that the hatchbacks, thus not making it a simple swap, you know?

Well I changed from normal to LED lamps (but OEM ones) - no issues
Normal to Led Lamps? I'm sorry I dont understand...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have bought them from a wrecked car.

If you want I can check if that guy has more, and I can buy it for you and send them to you to texas

I paid $200 for the lamps. Shipping form Poland to USA would cost around another $50.

So for around $250 you could get the lamps.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have bought them from a wrecked car.

If you want I can check if that guy has more, and I can buy it for you and send them to you to texas

I paid $200 for the lamps. Shipping form Poland to USA would cost around another $50.

So for around $250 you could get the lamps.

I want that ! :O
The thing is that i live in Mexico... so maybe it will be more expensive and i'm not sure if i'll ever get them :(

Anyways, i will pay for the tailights (sedan) if you can send them to Mexico

·
Registered
84 Posts
Unfrotunately for sedan it would be more expensive as SEDANS in my country are less popular than Hatchbacks - unfrotunately the lamps are different.

The cost would be 1499PLN (polish currency) which is around $400.

Shipping to mexico would be $30 (air mail - 2,3 weeks) or $80 (EMS - 1 week) - all tracked.

Here is the link to buy lamps in Poland so that you can see I am not cheating: LAMPA PRAWA LEWA TY? MAZDA 3 SEDAN 2015 R. KPL. (6681266713) - Allegro.pl - Wi?cej ni? aukcje.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Unfrotunately for sedan it would be more expensive as SEDANS in my country are less popular than Hatchbacks - unfrotunately the lamps are different.

The cost would be 1499PLN (polish currency) which is around $400.

Shipping to mexico would be $30 (air mail - 2,3 weeks) or $80 (EMS - 1 week) - all tracked.

Here is the link to buy lamps in Poland so that you can see I am not cheating: LAMPA PRAWA LEWA TY? MAZDA 3 SEDAN 2015 R. KPL. (6681266713) - Allegro.pl - Wi?cej ni? aukcje.

:( That's exactly the same price in here...
dang, it's dissapointing :(
I was very excited because even 300$ it's not too much in mexican pesos but 400$ plus shipping it starts to be a little bit expensive...
It's almost the price for the OEM full LED headlights
Thank you so much for searching and everything else, i really really appreciate it :)

·
Hoon Apprentice
113 Posts
Did you get someone to install the LED lights, or did you do it yourself? What exactly would you need to do for the wiring, since the I's and S's have different tail light wiring?

·
5 Posts
hey i'm trying to do the same. someone on this forum did it and he said the wiring needs to be modified. did you figure out how to do it?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm interested in these as well. I have a 2017 Sport sedan and saw another sedan with the LED tails and thought they looked realll nice.
Any reliable source for the sedan tail lights?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I converted both front and rear on my 2016 sport to the GT Lights. You can find both sets on ebay, the aftermarket tail lights come with a wire and a plug you just tap into the license plate power lights. Super easy and should take you 45 mins for the whole rear. The quarter panel lights you just plug and play and they work fine. Granted now I have since moved to a 2018 GT premium and don't have the lighting issue :p
Let me know if you all have any issues.

https://i.imgur.com/dr7HMS4.jpg (stock headlights)
https://i.imgur.com/OE4qmDb.jpg (aftermarket headlights)
https://imgur.com/a/xcIcr (old tail lights)
https://i.imgur.com/qeF8KyS.jpg (aftermarket tails)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I converted both front and rear on my 2016 sport to the GT Lights. You can find both sets on ebay, the aftermarket tail lights come with a wire and a plug you just tap into the license plate power lights. Super easy and should take you 45 mins for the whole rear. The quarter panel lights you just plug and play and they work fine. Granted now I have since moved to a 2018 GT premium and don't have the lighting issue :p

Where did you buy these headlights and tailights? Do they have tailights for the hatchback?

·
Registered
267 Posts

Where did you buy these headlights and tailights? Do they have tailights for the hatchback?

All ebay, LED+Halo Mazda 3 (ebay search) just make sure they are the 9pin (matches your halogen plug) and not HID replacement assemblies. As for the hatch I have not seen any aftermarket kits partially because sedan seems to be more popular in the asian aftermarkets (where these come from)

What I do know is that the quarter panel lights are a 1:1 swap for both cars, the only additional wiring is in the decklid / hatch. That being said I think you could find used GT hatch tails and do the same swap no problem, You would just need the matching connector to plug into the LED inners and then tap your license plate lights the same way the sedan plugs work for the aftermarket replacement kit. I looked it up and it's the same plug on the OEM tails you just need to source the connector plug. Really no rewiring involved just get the connector add some wiring to the pins (unknown what is +/-) and tap the lights. So while there is no pre assembled kit, you can just grab oem parts and make a connector. It's the same thing and gives you a chance to use OEM parts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts