2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Did anyone ever try to upgrade the existing rear camera in the mazda 3 to the one used in Mazda 6 or CX5? The benefit would be to have dynamic lines while parking.

I know, that the camera with dynamic lines has 7 wires instead of 4 with static lines in M3 due to wheel angle sensor.
According to guides of CX-5 owners who equipped their car with 7 wire cameras, these cables go into the rbcm.
Would it be worth giving this a try?
We might use the same rbcm cable to connect the additional cables into.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After I managed to buy a cheap Mazda 6 camera, I did put in the new camera into my car:

Test of new camera

Unfortunately, I bought a Mazda 6 camera from the 2012 to 2015 model, which has a worse camera resolution than my original 2017 camera in the Mazda 3 BN. Therefore, I ordered the same camera from the 2016 Mazda 6 model.

·
Registered
306 Posts
After I managed to buy a cheap Mazda 6 camera, I did put in the new camera into my car:

Test of new camera

Unfortunately, I bought a Mazda 6 camera from the 2012 to 2015 model, which has a worse camera resolution than my original 2017 camera in the Mazda 3 BN. Therefore, I ordered the same camera from the 2016 Mazda 6 model.
What part number is the camera? thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What part number is the camera? thanks
For Mazda 3 BN Hatchback, there are two possible 7-wire cameras:

Mazda 6 Sedan 2012-2015 (GJ)
GHK1-67RC0
Mazda 6 Sedan 2016-2017 (GL)
GMC8-67RC0

As a minimum requirement, your car needs AFS or ALH, which means the car is able to measure the steering angle that will then be used in the 7-wired cam.
Please keep in mind that the resolution of the GJ-cam has a lower resolution.
The latest camera of Mazda 6 Sedan 2018 is not possible anymore due to being only a 4-wire camera with an additional ECU (?) for the reverse camera and four additional cams of the 360°-view.

In theory, you could do this change on the mazda 3 sedan as well, but you need the 7-wire camera of the CX-5 or mazda 6 wagon, but I am not 100% sure.

·
Registered
306 Posts

GHK1-67RC0
GMC8-67RC0

As a minimum requirement, your car needs AFS or ALH, which means the car is able to measure the steering angle that will then be used in the 7-wired cam.
The latest camera of Mazda 6 Sedan 2018 is not possible anymore due to being only a 4-wire camera with an additional ECU (?) for the reverse camera and four additional cams of the 360°-view.

In theory, you could do this change on the mazda 3 sedan as well, but you need the 7-wire camera of the CX-5 or mazda 6 wagon, but I am not 100% sure.
Didn't know the moving parking lanes camera required AFS or ALH, thought only a camera swap was enough.

So the one you used is:
GMC8-67RC0 ?

·
Registered
4 Posts

GHK1-67RC0
GMC8-67RC0

How can you check if you car has AFS or ALH?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Didn't know the moving parking lanes camera required AFS or ALH, thought only a camera swap was enough.

So the one you used is:
GMC8-67RC0 ?
Have you any idea about the dimensions? I am curious if it fits the M3 HB (2014).

·
Registered
46 Posts

GHK1-67RC0
GMC8-67RC0

Is it plug and play or is there something more difficult to do?

I found both of the camera. Is the GMC8-67RC0 better or is it the same?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is it plug and play or is there something more difficult to do?

I found both of the camera. Is the GMC8-67RC0 better or is it the same?
You need have 4 additional wires from RBCM to rear camera. Then you have to use the old camera mount and the new camera from Mazda 6 (Only 4 screws to change, very easy). Then connect 4 of the wires from the new camera to the 4 wires coming from the RBCM and the 3 remaining to the existing camera plug.

Main difference between the camera models is how the rear and front sensor is displayed (different layout with the red bars) You should stick to GHK1-67RC0.
I tested both cameras on my 2017 M3 BN and noticed this problem. I mixed the camera versions and had two different sensor layouts on my screen which was kind of annoying.

Due to this I have a spare GHK1-67RC0 camera available, if you are interested in buying it (sending a package from germany to the czech rep shouldn't be a big problem)

·
Registered
46 Posts
You need have 4 additional wires from RBCM to rear camera. Then you have to use the old camera mount and the new camera from Mazda 6 (Only 4 screws to change, very easy). Then connect 4 of the wires from the new camera to the 4 wires coming from the RBCM and the 3 remaining to the existing camera plug.

Main difference between the camera models is how the rear and front sensor is displayed (different layout with the red bars) You should stick to GHK1-67RC0.
I tested both cameras on my 2017 M3 BN and noticed this problem. I mixed the camera versions and had two different sensor layouts on my screen which was kind of annoying.

Due to this I have a spare GHK1-67RC0 camera available, if you are interested in buying it (sending a package from germany to the czech rep shouldn't be a big problem)
I have purchased the camera next day after I posted my previous comment. If haden't been so inpatient, I would have bought it from you.

Today, I checked the camera wiring. As you told, I need to wire the four extra cables. Is there a wiring diagram? Or could you tell me please,what is the right wiring?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I found this camera wires scheme.

But I cannot find the wiring to the rbcm connector

Could you help me with the wiring?

·
Registered
46 Posts

I will advertise your camera here in our local groups. There are lots of mazda fans and I am sure they will be interested in the camera if they have the instructions which I can provide them if you help me. I sent you messages. I need the right wiring. I don't know where to wire the extra cables from camera. It is the only info I need to complete it. Please help.

·
Registered
2 Posts

@Baseraver, do you still have the GHK1-67RC0 camera? I am interested. Can you send it to France?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found this camera wires scheme.

View attachment 275876
I have connected the cables to the following in the rbcm:

Black matt, yellow and white cable to old connector as displayed in the picture below.
As you don't have the original camera, but the aftermarket connector, this might be different in your case.

The 4 remaining cables go to:
Green - 4G at RBCM
Blue - 4J at RBCM
Red - +ACC
Black glossy - Ground

Some more comments on the new camera:
1. I did not have to activate the dynamic lines in the software, it was more or less a complicated "plug & play"
2. The new camera needs a direct +ACC connection compared to the old camera, which gets +ACC from the rbcm. I don't know exactly why, because I only got the complete guide from a friend. I tested the new camera with +ACC from the RBCM via 4th cable on the old connector and it did not work. When doing direct +ACC connection, the camera flawlessly worked.
3. Don't forget to remove the cable from the car battery when doing new connections, as you do not want to kill your RBCM.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Baseraver, do you still have the GHK1-67RC0 camera? I am interested. Can you send it to France?
Hey Dieux,

yes, I still have that camera!
I can send it to you in france if you accept paypal for payment, so both of us are secured.
However, I'd like to postpone the package until corona is over, because a sent package already went missing and it takes ages to get a refund from DHL.

Just send me a PM, so we can discuss in detail.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have connected the cables to the following in the rbcm:
View attachment 276219

Black matt, yellow and white cable to old connector as displayed in the picture below.
As you don't have the original camera, but the aftermarket connector, this might be different in your case.
View attachment 276220

The 4 remaining cables go to:
Green - 4G at RBCM
Blue - 4J at RBCM
Red - +ACC
Black glossy - Ground

Some more comments on the new camera:
1. I did not have to activate the dynamic lines in the software, it was more or less a complicated "plug & play"
2. The new camera needs a direct +ACC connection compared to the old camera, which gets +ACC from the rbcm. I don't know exactly why, because I only got the complete guide from a friend. I tested the new camera with +ACC from the RBCM via 4th cable on the old connector and it did not work. When doing direct +ACC connection, the camera flawlessly worked.
3. Don't forget to remove the cable from the car battery when doing new connections, as you do not want to kill your RBCM.
Thank you for the information. I wired it as you described and it works! No need to change ASbuild configuration. I am happy.

I don't have the original mount because I used the chinese camera which is installed to one of the licence plate lights. So I printed adapter to be able to install it here instead of the original cap:

The disadvantage is that I had to remove the bolt which holds the liftage granish more firmly. But it is ok withnout the bold as well. I will need to isolate the hole.

I noticed there are two overlays showing the parking sensors. One of them is displayed by the car. I used this with my previous camera. The second one is displayed probably by the new camera. I thought I won't have this problem if I pick the older camera (GHK1-67RC0 for GJ) with the worse resolution. Why should I stick with this camera? Is it possible to get rid of one of the overlays? I saw in your video you have the same problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts

I found a way to remove the sensor display overlay using AIO tweaks so only the overlay generated by the camera is visible. Should I still stick to GHK1 or is it better to use GMC8?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts