2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find out if anyone knows if there is an existing USB harness upfront that is unused in cars with the CD player? I know there is a jack up there in cars that don't have one and would really like to put one up there but if one already exists all the better. Thanks!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Do you have the type A or type B audio system ? If the type A then yes the USB and a round aux ports are below the CD player and if the Type B audio they will be in the center arm rest.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure... how would I find out? I have a 2014 sGT Mazda 3 with tech package and it has a CD player with bose.

·
Registered
583 Posts
More than likely the Type B with the two usb jack inputs plus one round aux jack inside the center arm rest. Haven't tried the USB port with a flash drive only our iPod. Flash drive should work fine so you can leave in all the time and not worry about theft as investment not very much compared to a iPod or equivalent. You don't need access to the music source as all the control is done through the up top audio controls. The large M 3 manual has some great help to operate the system.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stegl,

Sorry, I wasnt clear. What I want to do is get a USB jack upfront by the CD player. The cars that dont have the CD player have the USB there. My question is if the harness for the USB is up there too in cars with a CD player or did they not even install it? Does that make sense? Thanks!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Stegl,

Sorry, I wasnt clear. What I want to do is get a USB jack upfront by the CD player. The cars that dont have the CD player have the USB there. My question is if the harness for the USB is up there too in cars with a CD player or did they not even install it? Does that make sense? Thanks!
Ok see what you mean..... That is a good question. I am not positive but a lot of manufacturers only make up one set of wiring harness for a particular model ( ie Mazda 3) and install that harness in all the M3 bodies and add the peripherals as the dealers order them or as the companies market department want the cars made up. In other words it is less expensive to do it that way than make up 12 or more different harness just for one model. Now I have a question........Why would you want to have the USB plug on the dash and have all the cabling or flash drives sticking out ? Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Id like to have a usb upfront on the forward dash so I dont have to run a long wire to my phone from the arm box.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was at the dealer yesterday, looking into this myself. they don't know if the wiring is there, but the faceplate that has the usb/12v outlets doesn't appear to be available separately from the rest of the console. the console's price was about 138 or so If I recall. to remove the cd player/faceplate, you just need the 2 tools they show in the workshop manual. That should allow you to see if the wiring is in place for the 12v. IIrc on my 06 miata the wiring was actually there for the seat heaters, but I didn't have that option so the notion that the connections may be there is a valid one.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks Grumpy! I just ordered the tools today and I will let you all know!
so did the tools come in? didja forget about us? I did a little more research and judging by the wiring diagram it doesn't look like the wires will be there, but I am hoping they are!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I wasn't happy with the 6 foot cable running from the console to the spot in front of the shifter, so I got a 3 foot one, and then used the snap on the brake boot to keep the cable from shifting too much. I rarely use the brake so it won't put undue strain on the cable/ USB adapter

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Has anyone swapped consoles? I have an S Touring which has the CD player, and would like to have additional power USB up front, mostly to dock the phone to.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I thought ALL 2014+ mazda 3 have the USB in the armrest console. The higher end models have 2 usb, whereas the lower end models only have 1. But always in the armrest. Are you thinking about the Mazda 2? They have it upfront.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I thought ALL 2014+ mazda 3 have the USB in the armrest console. The higher end models have 2 usb, whereas the lower end models only have 1. But always in the armrest. Are you thinking about the Mazda 2? They have it upfront.
2015 i Touring without the CD player have two USB upfront and only a round plug in the armrest. The armrest plug is hot though, stays on without ignition.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Ordered and they should be here next week. I will keep posted...
So I'm guessing you didn't find what you wanted?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Has anyone swapped consoles? I have an S Touring which has the CD player, and would like to have additional power USB up front, mostly to dock the phone to.
Do you want to dock it for data or power? For data, bluetooth is much easier so you don't have to mess with docking it. For power, the USB jacks are really insufficient as they can only provide 500mA. I guess if you're not using nav on your phone it'll charge it (slowly), but if you're using navigation on your phone then forget it. It's better to just get a cigarette lighter USB power plug.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts