2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 417 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to search for this but was unable to find anything about this specifically. I apologize for any redundancies.

If I'm not mistaken the Mazda 3 supports version 1.0 which provides basic remote control commands (play/pause/stop, etc.). I'm trying to get the profile to version 1.3 which would allow the metadata to be displayed on the black and white display in lieu of the "bt audio". I'd love to be able to see artist, album, track name and number. I'd never have to take my phone out of my pocket.

Mazda HandsFree customer support says there is no update to the handsfree system, but their email felt like an automated response.

So I ask if anyone has been so cavalier as to try and update their bluetooth profile on their own? I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to modding cars so I'm not even sure if one can access the computer and if it was accessed what would then be possible.

I'm super curious about this and have a feeling I'll be doing some heavy digging.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That would be a very nice upgrade! If you can figure out a way I'm in! I'm guessing that any update to the firmware in the system would have to be executed by a Mazda tech with their computer as part of a new Flash. But maybe I'm wrong?

I know that offers nothing as far as helping but I fully support your quest! :yes:

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
That would be a very nice upgrade! If you can figure out a way I'm in! I'm guessing that any update to the firmware in the system would have to be executed by a Mazda tech with their compute as part of a new Flash. But maybe I'm wrong?

I know that offers nothing as far as helping but I fully support your quest! :yes:
really?

all you'd have to do is get an aftermarket head unit.

·
2012 Mazda 3 Skyactiv
49 Posts
I would also be very interested in this… Now that the iPhone 4 has updated bluetooth… this would be awesome!

·
Street Unit - Ninja Killa
507 Posts
go for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I assume the Mazda tech would also need to be involved, however I wonder what could be accessed via the cars computer. Anyone have any experience accessing the cars computer?

I'm not sure if it would involve flashing a new firmware or merely uploading a new Bluetooth profile. I would think that a new firmware would be needed but I'd like to think that a Bluetooth profile would do the trick. But one would need to have the current firmware place nice with the new profile.

No doubt that this would void any warranty. So I don't see myself doing anything but research for the time being. But I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is it safe to say there are no updates on this subject, but I wanted to follow up to be sure, as well as get some new eyes on this.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Getting an exact model number for the unit might be helpful. I wonder how it would be upgraded/update if there there was a bug in it (that bose admitted to). I.e. does anyone know if it has an rs232 port on it, or perhaps it checks for some sort of signature on a cd that it reads to see if it contains a firmware upgrade, etc...

I don't know much about head units, but I know a little bit about embedded systems.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Can anyone confirm if the 2011s have avrcp 1.3? I emailed mazda that said the bose stereo is the same unit for 2010 and 2011, but I thought I read that the 2011s do in fact have avrcp 1.3...

Any input is appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi
I read just yesterday on the web that the new Apple ios5 will make it possible to transmit artists and songs info through BT.
It said that someone tested the beta version and confirmed that it worked with a Mazda 3 2010. So it's not the car fiirmware the problem.

ios5 will be released in september.

Let's hope!

I'll try to find the article and post it.

Regards!

·
Use the Search Button!
746 Posts
@jcote, yes it's been discussed here also there was someone with the beta version on here that tried it with a 2010 Mz3 and did not get the good results.So the final release is what we were waiting for to get the real results.
There are about 3 other threads here that basically turned into the same thing, talking about the iPhone iOS5 update giving us the ability to transmit the data to the screen.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, that is correct. I am currently running iOS 5 Beta 4. I does not transmit the track info to the MID screen. I was really disappointed, especially when I tried it out in a family member's Lexus and it worked fine. I'm pretty sure that the firmware on the car needs to be updated. Which who knows if/when that will ever happen.

Send me an email if anyone figures this out! [email protected]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ok I found references to the part numbers for the bluetooth modules for the 2010 and 2011 ->
TSB-0903810-08 or link 2
The part number for the 2010 is BBM4-66-DHXA and for the 2011 BBM5-66-DHX. However the site in which I located those parts for sale says they are both compatible with both years... So question at whcih I'm getting is... Is there any difference between the BBM4-66-DHXA and the BBM5-66-DHX aside from a firmware or onboard software? Are they swappable? Is anyone in a position to give it a try?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am going to the dealership on Friday for this exact problem with my Droid X.. Will let everyone know what happens..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ok I found references to the part numbers for the bluetooth modules for the 2010 and 2011 ->
TSB-0903810-08 or link 2
The part number for the 2010 is BBM4-66-DHXA and for the 2011 BBM5-66-DHX. However the site in which I located those parts for sale says they are both compatible with both years... So question at whcih I'm getting is... Is there any difference between the BBM4-66-DHXA and the BBM5-66-DHX aside from a firmware or onboard software? Are they swappable? Is anyone in a position to give it a try?
This could potentially be really helpful. Unfortunately I can't afford to try it. I wonder if I have a 2010 module in my 2011 Mazda because I think it was produced in January. Do you know where it's located so I can check?? Thanks for finding this!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
This could potentially be really helpful. Unfortunately I can't afford to try it. I wonder if I have a 2010 module in my 2011 Mazda because I think it was produced in January. Do you know where it's located so I can check?? Thanks for finding this!!!

I think you have to remove the glove box to find the unit. Surely there is someone who installed an aftermarket radio in their 2011 and is willing to sell their bluetooth module for cheaper than the deal's prices above.

I found the 2010 module on ebay, and a few weeks ago there were two on there.

Above all else we really need to find someone with the means to test a 2011 module in the 2010 and vice versa for curiosity's sake.

1 - 20 of 417 Posts