2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off: Sorry if I missed an important step, first time doing this and am totally am aware this easily could be my fault. Anyway...

Hey all,

I just updated my 2016 6 from 51 something (don't remember the exact version) to 70.00.100A. Installation went smoothly and the system works fine on the new firmware.

BEFORE I updated I used Mazda AIO 2.8.3 to install the ID7 autorun/recovery script. I also put the "Dryrun script" on the flash drive so I could make sure it installed successfully. Plugging in the flash drive quickly prompted me with the message:

Obviously I hit install, which seemed to succeed, then pressed the button to restart when promoted. When the system rebooted I quickly got the message:

Code:
SUCCESS
AUTORUN ACTIVATED!
/tmp/mnt/sda1
OK
followed by the window in the previous image, to which I just hit skip since the script was already installed. I assumed the latter was the Dryrun script (since I couldn't find any examples of what it should say other than people noting they confirmed the Dryrun script ran) and was all I needed to see to know I'd be safe to update. I removed the flash drive and then proceeded to update the firmware.

Now that I'm on 70.00.100A it doesn't seem like I can install tweaks. I waited 10 minutes at one point and no message checking the firmware version ever showed up (it showed up near instantly on 51.xx.xxx). If I plug in the flash drive with the ID7 autorun/recovery scripts and Dryrun script on it, I DO still get the prompt to install them as shown in the previous image. However, after hitting yes to install them and rebooting, I do not ever see the "Success" message like I did when I was on 51.xx.xxx.

So the recovery script seems to have sort of worked since I can still run the recovery script installer (unless the installer for the scripts always appears on 70.xx.xxx and just doesn't actually install and looks like it is), but I can't do anything with the AIO compiled files on the same flash drive.

If I missed a step then my bad. I still have to install the AA/Carplay kit and therefore gain access to the CMU anyway so if I have to serial in it isn't a big deal. I do already have a USB to serial cable with Tx and Rx lines (though I'm not sure its the right type).

So, does it look like I will have to use the serial backdoor all things considered? If so, will there be any issues running those commands with the recovery script (sort of) installed?

Thanks for any help. Really looking forward to having OEM AA with some of the quality of life tweaks offered by AIO. >:)

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
On the AIO Homepage mazdatweaks.com is mentioned that AIO only works with FW >= 55 ... that might be the reason why there is a problem with ID7 Tweak used with your FW 51. The problem seems that AIO displayed that it worked fine, but it did not. But hey, it was not designed to work with FW 51, so AIO is not to blame.

To me it looks like you have to use serial access.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think @Tristan-cx5 is correct. If you have early version of firmware, in order to use the AIO tweak (at least the newest version), you need to first upgrade to something >= v55 but =< 59, so you can install the ID 7 script to enable tweaks once crossing the line of V59 (without the serial port MOD). That was what I did with my system: two-step hop to V70, and it appears fine (not all of them as always).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the AIO Homepage mazdatweaks.com is mentioned that AIO only works with FW >= 55 ... that might be the reason why there is a problem with ID7 Tweak used with your FW 51. The problem seems that AIO displayed that it worked fine, but it did not. But hey, it was not designed to work with FW 51, so AIO is not to blame.

To me it looks like you have to use serial access.
I think @Tristan-cx5 is correct. If you have early version of firmware, in order to use the AIO tweak (at least the newest version), you need to first upgrade to something >= v55 but =< 59, so you can install the ID 7 script to enable tweaks once crossing the line of V59 (without the serial port MOD). That was what I did with my system: two-step hop to V70, and it appears fines (not all of them as always).

Thanks for the replies. I know AIO itself says it works with only 55 and greater but I've seen people saying they've had the recovery scripts installed since 3x.xx.xxx. Also I've seen some posts (like this one over on the miata forums https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php? , post #6 ) where some people say if you're below 55.xx.xxx just install the ID7 scripts and go straight to 70.xx.xxx. I understand though that these people arent Trezdog so I should take what they're saying with a bit of a grain of salt and it does seem like I should have went to 55 first.

Looks like I'll just go for serial.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just did the serial access method today while installing the AA/CP kit. Was really not bad at all other than putty being stupid.

Since I accessed it with the recovery script over serial I should be good to go when updating the CMU in the future if another firmware is pushed right? The tweaks USB access will be restored from the auto run script correct?

·
Registered
36 Posts
While I did not have to do the serial access myself, the concept is the same from what I read. So yes, you should have the ID7 script installed and safe to upgrade to higher FW and still able to use USB flash drive for AIO Tweaks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While I did not have to do the serial access myself, the concept is the same from what I read. So yes, you should have the ID7 script installed and safe to upgrade to higher FW and still able to use USB flash drive for AIO Tweaks.
That's what I thought would happen when I installed the scripts before so I'm a little nervous, but this time I did install the scripts on an officially supported firmware so I'm confident that will make the difference. Considering the serial method uses the recovery scripts to regan USB access and I was able to successfully install tweaks over USB after restarting, I don't see why everything wouldn't be ok at this point.

Thanks for the reassurance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts