2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I remember seeing a few people mention the auto light system malfunction on hot days in their 2019s...Happened to me today.

Spoke with Mazda and their response is that "Japan" is aware of it and do not have a fix but are working on it. His guess is that the sensor gets too hot and gives the error but said the lights should work.

Given that this happens when the sun is out the lights not working isn't an issue but in my case the system dims all the screens like its in night mode which is annoying.

TL : DR Keep your eye on yet another recall soon :nerd:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I got this message yesterday and my dash was all dark and couldn't see anything was impossible to drive .... However, today is 95 F outside and I haven't see the message.... I hope it fix itself lol. If not, I hope they have a recall on this.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got this message yesterday and my dash was all dark and couldn't see anything was impossible to drive .... However, today is 95 F outside and I haven't see the message.... I hope it fix itself lol. If not, I hope they have a recall on this.
I found a way to fix the dimming when it does it... Hit the "+" illumination button under the cluster on the right side

It's not the temp it seems but how strongly the sun is hitting the sensor. So I've been out on 100+ days and not had the issue but got it on a 90 day

·
Registered
7 Posts
had this happen twice now with the auto lights and once with the air conditioning. With the lights, I found that turning them off would return the dash lights back up but the air the only way to get to work again was to shut the car off and restart it, then everything worked fine. Don't understand why the car has this issue since these systems have been in cars for a while now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This happened to me multiple times during summer. The dealer suggested to turn the A/C on for few minutes to let it sit. It does the fix but still annoying. Never happened with Toyota or any other cars. And now it is getting hot again, and this will going to annoy me again this year. Hope there is a permanent fix for a beta users...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is there an real fix for this?
No, I have a 2019 3 hatchback, and the latest update, the AC still sucks, touch the throttle to go with traffic, AC turns off, leave it set at 70 degrees, it will start blowing warm air from one vent, and cold from another, and so the car never cools properly.

·
Registered
2019 Mazda 3 Hatchback AWD 2.5G
225 Posts
No, I have a 2019 3 hatchback, and the latest update, the AC still sucks, touch the throttle to go with traffic, AC turns off, leave it set at 70 degrees, it will start blowing warm air from one vent, and cold from another, and so the car never cools properly.
When you say 'touch the throttle to go with traffic' do you mean adaptive cruise control in stop and go?

If one vent is only blowing hot or cold and the other isn't, even when the dual zone is synced, I believe that is a stuck vent louver issue. I have had the vents get stuck a handful of times over the 2 years I've had mine. Usually, after hitting auto and enabling sync, turning the temp knob all the way to hot waiting a few seconds and then all the way to cold waiting a few seconds and then back to your desired temp fixed the issue. I think either the vent louver gets stuck or the car somehow forgets the louver position or some miscommunication. There is a louver to control temperature for each zone so that's why one side can be cold another can be hot.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Anyone get this replaced by dealer to verify? This is done by disassembling the module near the rearview mirror right?
Man, is this even worth it..

@KeepingHatchbacksAlive Your thoughts?
@1ESK19
I've seen this happen once in my car. It was a particularly hot day. But where I live we consider a week of upper 90s-100°F as a heat wave. If it happens multiple times a week for you then this might be worth trying to fix. Especially if still under the factory warranty. If it's not a common problem and happens a handful of times in the summer then might just ignore it, or look into other solutions. This i assume happens when the sun is directly beating down on the sensor and in that time of day you don't need the auto lights anyway. So the question is how annoying is the warning message to you.

Other solutions could be to crack your windows when parked, park facing away from the sun, tint your windows and UV treat them, and/or use one of those windshield deflectors when parked.

Now that I think about it, the one time I saw this warning message might have been before I tinted my windows. I now have 30% tint on all doors and rear window, including an extra layer that adds additional UV blocking. Note that tinting your windows doesn't necessarily mean UV blocking is included, I paid extra for UV. UV is what heats up your car more than the light itself. Tinting only keeps the inside darker. Also UV blocking tint also helps your interior from sun fade. It's illegal to apply anything on the windshield in my state so I left that alone. All that said; the tint adds privacy, looks cooler IMO, and also keeps the interior from going over a 100°F 99% of the time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When you say 'touch the throttle to go with traffic' do you mean adaptive cruise control in stop and go?

If one vent is only blowing hot or cold and the other isn't, even when the dual zone is synced, I believe that is a stuck vent louver issue. I have had the vents get stuck a handful of times over the 2 years I've had mine. Usually, after hitting auto and enabling sync, turning the temp knob all the way to hot waiting a few seconds and then all the way to cold waiting a few seconds and then back to your desired temp fixed the issue. I think either the vent louver gets stuck or the car somehow forgets the louver position or some miscommunication. There is a louver to control temperature for each zone so that's why one side can be cold another can be hot.
When I accelerate in traffic, to match the flow of traffic, the AC compressor turns off, unless you drive like a priuse owner trying to get 900 miles to a gallon, it literately turns off, and I have pulled codes, 4 different vent motors have failed, as a Tech, that's almost unreal, its a bad climate control moduel, but the dealerships, just flash the software again, and two days later, its all jacked up again.

The cars are not worth the money, and add crappy dealers, it makes a not good car, really crappy.

·
Registered
225 Posts
When I accelerate in traffic, to match the flow of traffic, the AC compressor turns off, unless you drive like a priuse owner trying to get 900 miles to a gallon, it literately turns off, and I have pulled codes, 4 different vent motors have failed, as a Tech, that's almost unreal, its a bad climate control moduel, but the dealerships, just flash the software again, and two days later, its all jacked up again.

The cars are not worth the money, and add crappy dealers, it makes a not good car, really crappy.
Wow. That's rough. I've had other problems with my car but the climate control has been fine so far. The car does temporarily turn off the AC if you floor it and hit the kick down switch at the bottom of the accelerator but I actually like that feature. It should only do that though if you are 100% flooring it. My only complaint is that the system as a whole isn't as powerful at cooling as I would like. It blows cold air but the way it was designed makes is less effective. Needs more vents in the back or something to get to the set temp faster in the summer. Knock on wood I don't have any issues with it down the road. I take it you haven't had any luck and forcing the dealership to replace the units instead of just reflashing the software? Also out of curiosity when was your Mazda built per the sticker in the door jam?

@1ESK19
Speak of the devil, I parked facing the sun at work and it was 99 degrees Fahrenheit with a heat index of 105. High UV today as well per my weather app.

You can see the sensor reading 126°F and I'm not sure if that's accurate but the windshield was untouchable and could burn you.

This, so far, doesn't annoy me to the point where I would go into fix it. I might bring it up at my next oil change. It's very likely the temperature of the sensor itself is outside it's operating range and I can't fault the sensor if it wasn't built to handle 126°F. Once the AC ran for 5 minutes the outside temperature reading I the gauge cluster quickly worked it's way down to 105°F and the sensor started working again. If the weather I'm experiencing right now was normal for my area then I would be more annoyed.

WHAT REALLY ANNOYS ME IS THAT I CANT OVERRIDE THE DANG SENSOR. Mazda made it so that I can turn the light knob to off but when I start driving it automatically defaults to night mode. I don't care if it defaults to that but the fact that I can't turn the knob to off and override the sensor even when the sensor is malfunctioning really pissed me off. I like this car a lot. I really do. But even when the car itself knows the sensor is malfunctioning I still can't override it and that urks the crap out of me. It's even more annoying because my night time display settings are darker and the contrast is maxed out because I like to keep the screens darker than default at night. With the headlights stuck to 'ON' the gauge cluster, media screen, and even the climate control are nearly impossible to see in the middle of the day. I'm not screwing with my preferred brightness settings, yes there is the buttons on the gauge cluster but that doesn't affect the climate control or media screens and then I would have to adjust my night time settings back down the next time. So for the first 5 minutes I just drove without the screens, until the sensor started working again and then the screens went back to the default daytime settings. Again, 99% annoyed at not being able to override the sensor and turn the damn lights off. Rant over.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wow. That's rough. I've had other problems with my car but the climate control has been fine so far. The car does temporarily turn off the AC if you floor it and hit the kick down switch at the bottom of the accelerator but I actually like that feature. It should only do that though if you are 100% flooring it. My only complaint is that the system as a whole isn't as powerful at cooling as I would like. It blows cold air but the way it was designed makes is less effective. Needs more vents in the back or something to get to the set temp faster in the summer. Knock on wood I don't have any issues with it down the road. I take it you haven't had any luck and forcing the dealership to replace the units instead of just reflashing the software? Also out of curiosity when was your Mazda built per the sticker in the door jam?

@1ESK19
Speak of the devil, I parked facing the sun at work and it was 99 degrees Fahrenheit with a heat index of 105. High UV today as well per my weather app.
View attachment 282634
You can see the sensor reading 126°F and I'm not sure if that's accurate but the windshield was untouchable and could burn you.

This, so far, doesn't annoy me to the point where I would go into fix it. I might bring it up at my next oil change. It's very likely the temperature of the sensor itself is outside it's operating range and I can't fault the sensor if it wasn't built to handle 126°F. Once the AC ran for 5 minutes the outside temperature reading I the gauge cluster quickly worked it's way down to 105°F and the sensor started working again. If the weather I'm experiencing right now was normal for my area then I would be more annoyed.

WHAT REALLY ANNOYS ME IS THAT I CANT OVERRIDE THE DANG SENSOR. Mazda made it so that I can turn the light knob to off but when I start driving it automatically defaults to night mode. I don't care if it defaults to that but the fact that I can't turn the knob to off and override the sensor even when the sensor is malfunctioning really pissed me off. I like this car a lot. I really do. But even when the car itself knows the sensor is malfunctioning I still can't override it and that urks the crap out of me. It's even more annoying because my night time display settings are darker and the contrast is maxed out because I like to keep the screens darker than default at night. With the headlights stuck to 'ON' the gauge cluster, media screen, and even the climate control are nearly impossible to see in the middle of the day. I'm not screwing with my preferred brightness settings, yes there is the buttons on the gauge cluster but that doesn't affect the climate control or media screens and then I would have to adjust my night time settings back down the next time. So for the first 5 minutes I just drove without the screens, until the sensor started working again and then the screens went back to the default daytime settings. Again, 99% annoyed at not being able to override the sensor and turn the damn lights off. Rant over.
Haha, coincidence. Yeah, same here. It's blindingly confusing how to override the condition. From what I gather, yes it is the sensor that has overheated outside of its operating range, but it's a bit silly for an automotive designer to not check compliance with temperature range. And now they have an updated part to fit a much wider temperature range. For what it's worth, mine still triggered and ambient temp wasn't even 100F.

Especially in your case, not being able to see your screens seems a bit critical. Not sure the exact repair details, but it may not be too bad to get the updated part, assuming the entire procedure isn't too invasive.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Haha, coincidence. Yeah, same here. It's blindingly confusing how to override the condition. From what I gather, yes it is the sensor that has overheated outside of its operating range, but it's a bit silly for an automotive designer to not check compliance with temperature range. And now they have an updated part to fit a much wider temperature range. For what it's worth, mine still triggered and ambient temp wasn't even 100F.

Especially in your case, not being able to see your screens seems a bit critical. Not sure the exact repair details, but it may not be too bad to get the updated part, assuming the entire procedure isn't too invasive.
Yeah we'll see, I just ran out of my factory warranty a month or two ago. I do have a extended warranty but not sure if this is covered, plus I modified the mirror housing to splice in my dash cam and I am pretty sure that's where the sensor lives. ┐(´ー`)┌

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yeah we'll see, I just ran out of my factory warranty a month or two ago. I do have a extended warranty but not sure if this is covered, plus I modified the mirror housing to splice in my dash cam and I am pretty sure that's where the sensor lives. ┐(´ー`)┌
Isn't this a 3-year/36k covered defect repair? Sensor should be inside the airbag light headunit right? Might be able to qualify--

1 - 17 of 17 Posts