2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a '17 gt hatch in which the led foglights came as oem, and to me, I do not see much of a difference with the foglight on or off. On some other vehicles, you can see that the fog light dispersion is off to the sides easily from the drivers seat, but I don't unless I jerk my head to look for the light spread out the windshield or out the driver's window.

btw, I am not a dwarf in stature.

can the dealer adjust it, or is it in a fixed position?

·
Registered
321 Posts
They're pretty small. I wouldn't expect too much from them. I would guess their position is fixed. Just a guess.

·
Codger
73 Posts
OEM foglights on nearly all cars, including ours, are just useless bling, an excuse to charge us for something we didn't ask for (like the lame navigation). Please leave them off, as all they do is annoy oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have a 17 GT hatch as well. I may have only used them two or three times and only in the fog. I'm with Lanny that they tend to be more annoying than anything especially when it seems like people just have them on all the time, but maybe test them during their actual purpose and see if it makes a difference for you. Fog lights are meant to light up just a very specific lower area in front of the car. The Mazda LED fogs are actually more focused though than even several new car models with fog lights these days. I wouldn't totally trash them as worthless.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Also have and love our 2017 Mazda 3 GT with its great OEM headlights. I agree with hawaaiiguy, that sadly its OEM fog lights are an epic fail!

We live in the Pacific Northwest coastal range, get comparatively little snow, but get a lot of fog at certain times of the year. The OEM fog lights on our GT are horrible. When it is foggy, we leave the Mazda home, instead take our other DD.

·
Codger
73 Posts
Fog lights are meant to light up just a very specific lower area in front of the car.
That's part of it. Fog lights are supposed to help in two ways: to minimize backscatter by having a sharp horizontal cutoff, and by projecting under the fog, taking advantage of fog's tendency not to extend all the way to the ground. The problem is that both goals are compromised when the headlights are on at the same time. As configured on AFAIK all OEM installations, which do not allow using fog lights alone, they are inherently of no value in illuminating the road in fog, rain, or snow.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I don't/can't disagree with anything you are all saying....but also most people don't consciously notice the function of the adaptive headlights either (unless you really focus)....up/down, side to side...occasionally you might hear the motor. All of my cars/jeeps had fog lights and admittedly the older they were the brighter, but they were also much bigger. However, I was also frequently replacing either the (glass or plastic) lenses or complete unit back in the day as they regularly cracked from rocks. I would tend to think many of the after market fog lights which are brighter these days may technically be illegal if a cop wanted to pull you over. But going back to the adaptive headlights, the fog lights may light up an area better in front of your car depending on the direction your headlights/steering wheel are pointing. One thing to keep in mind that all ambient lighting from various sources (buildings, signs etc.) are much brighter nowadays (Everything is LED or white Neon), creating even greater light dispersion, particularly in the city. As everyone's lights are getting brighter there is less advantage, more glare and more dispersion. I would be curious to hear from someone who regularly drives on curvy dark back roads.

·
Registered
54 Posts
When my Fog lights are on and my headlights are off, I notice the ground about a foot in front of the car is well lit. It also brightens up my view but I think when the headlamps are on its not that useful. I've tested this out on dark roads sometimes, it does give the surrounding a slight dim but I think the LED Headlights already do a great job.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just had HID installed on my 2016 2L with high beam and it is a dream, more light output than stock HID and high beam to boot with no glare to oncoming traffic. It is literally a dream. I have video but don't know how to add here, but will upload some pics later to this post.

Also changed to clear lens on the headlight, added just a slight more light, but the cut off is so crisp and sharp, no bleed through the top of the cut off line.

This is what I got, and boy do I love it

For the clear lenses Morimoto STI-R clear lenses, for the fogs

70mm fog HID projectors bi-xenon
NHK 5500k H11 bulbs
35w OEM spec Hyluxtek ballasts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts