2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm curious. For new 2010 owners, did or have you changed any of the personalization options listed on the guide that came with your car?

I'm leaning towards changing the "Degree of darkness needed for the headlights to turn on" to a less sensitive setting, the optional 1-2,000 lux setting instead of the default 2-4,000 lux setting. The lights seem to come on fairly strong daylight still.

Am definitely going to change the "...automatically lock doors after leaving vehicle" setting so that the car will just lock itself as I walk away from it.

So, What did you change? And why? Or, if you're thinking about changing something, what and why?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Car doesn't have daytime running lights; so make's sense to change it the the less sensitive setting.

I think that and the turn signal option to have it flash 3 times when pressed down a bit (after a 3-series, living without this makes changing lanes annoying!), like BMWs, are the only things I will have changed.

·
Registered
93 Posts
haven't gotten mine changed yet, will do so at first oil change.

im keeping the default setting for the headlights though, the HID are just awesome :)

im gonna change what TurboSpecC mentioned, along with getting the doors to unlock with one press instead of two.

·
Registered
343 Posts
From my memory I changed three or four things.
1) Walk away to lock the doors (still on the fence about this one... it's pretty easy to hit the button on the door handles or light as you walk away, and sometimes I may want to leave the doors open in the driveway. If I keep the keys on me, it keeps locking as I move about. I'm going to give it a few weeks/months and if I don't get used to it, I'll have them change it back. I hope they won't charge me?)

2) Unlock all doors with a single button push.
The default is two pushes for security reasons. I'm not too concerned about that, since I'm basically the only driver (my wife on occasion). I hated that when I went to take my kids somewhere they are all grabbing handles before I hit the button the second time, then it just screws everything up. Thus far, I'm very happy with this change to a single push!

3) Turn signal 3 flash with slight movement. No brainer... why is that not the default?

4) Can't remember exactly, but I think I adjusted the greeting lights to stay on longer.... just cuz they are so cool :001_cool 1:

Didn't change the headlight thing... I thought about it. But on that subject, I always thought the sidways chevron shaped lights in the headlight were supposed to be the DRLs? Why don't we have DRLs?

·
Registered
63 Posts
My dealer went WTF when I asked them about this, they thought it was for the GT model only..

then I spoke to someone else who said they think they can do it, and they'd have to connect the car to the computer when we go to get the 1st oil change done.

I want the turn signal, and automatic door relocking delay changed.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Upon further reflection, I'm going to also do:

The 3 flash lane change turn signal thing, and

Increase the interior greeting lights to 30 seconds instead of 15

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems a little odd that the dealer has to do these things. Most cars, they build the options into the info center options. :shrug

·
Registered
28 Posts
It seems a little odd that the dealer has to do these things. Most cars, they build the options into the info center options. :shrug
Agreed. On my 3-series you can change everything through dash display menus. I guess its a good first step that mazda even allows these changes though, assuming the dealer doesn't charge you labor to do them! (Can anyone confirm that these settings will be changed for no cost?)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Agreed. On my 3-series you can change everything through dash display menus. I guess its a good first step that mazda even allows these changes though, assuming the dealer doesn't charge you labor to do them! (Can anyone confirm that these settings will be changed for no cost?)
First time it's free... not sure after that!

·
Registered
48 Posts
You know, i messed with the info settings today, there ARE some redundant things in there that you can change, such as blinker volume. Don't know why they just wont let us change EVERYTHING.

·
Registered
48 Posts
From my memory I changed three or four things.
1) Walk away to lock the doors (still on the fence about this one... it's pretty easy to hit the button on the door handles or light as you walk away, and sometimes I may want to leave the doors open in the driveway. If I keep the keys on me, it keeps locking as I move about. I'm going to give it a few weeks/months and if I don't get used to it, I'll have them change it back. I hope they won't charge me?)
?

If you come to a concensus let us know, i'm on the fence with this one, and also, on the fence with the "lock doors while in drive, unlock while in park" setting. When I pick someone up when its dark out I have to always fumble with the unlock button, I don't know where it is yet lol

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you come to a concensus let us know, i'm on the fence with this one, and also, on the fence with the "lock doors while in drive, unlock while in park" setting. When I pick someone up when its dark out I have to always fumble with the unlock button, I don't know where it is yet lol
I sure will and I will probably play with the function this weekend to find an easy work-around for keeping the doors unlocked in my driveway, but FWIW, I want it locked while driving... call me paranoid, but I don't want any uninvited visitors joining me while sitting at a lonely stoplight!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Haha, I thought about that too, but figured, seriously, how often do I park at stoplights?
Oh yes, that makes more sense. I didn't really consider that one... might be good.... except when I want some alone time in the car and my monkey-boys are trying desperately to get in! ;)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think we're going to stay with the default "unlock when ignition turned off" setting. Seems to work for us. I did think about the unlock in park setting though.

And I'm definetly turning down the sensitivity on the headlight auto feature. Dang things came on this afternoon at about 6:00 PM. Yes, the shadows were getting long, but you could still see the sun above the horizon, and it was VERY bright outside. So bright that when the headlights came on, the dash lights dimmed to far down to read the nav screen clearly. Yes, I had the dimmer turned all the way up, it was just too early to be in headlight mode.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Once I get my 3, I'm having that unlock feature turned off. Just the thought of driving into a bad neighborhood and the car unlocking my doors has me on pins and needles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My dealer said free at the first service but it'll cost after that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts