2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a large meticulously tagged collection of mp3 songs that work perfectly across different platforms – apart from the Infotainment system (i.e. the USB ports) where a few mp3s come up as unknown artist/album/title and it just displays the filename instead (the tracks play okay).

No matter what I did, tag clean, retag, or try different versions of ID3, different folder structures, different USB sticks, I just could not get the Infotainment system to recognise the tags. It was driving me crazy as there seemed no logic to it!

My usual method of tagging is to first do a tag clean, set my tagging program (MP3Tag) to write only ID3v2 tags and then set the Artist, Album, Title fields. Filenames I always number with leading zeros followed by a space then name. I also set the Track tag but never bother with leading zeros for the tracknumber. The only other field I set is to embed the album cover artwork.

This I generally had a lot of success with when I first bought my MX-5 (a 2016 ND), even with tracks playing in the right order, but after its first service (and Infotainment update) I seemed to start having far more problems. I am now on version 59.00.502 EU N and when new it was 56.00.513 EU N.

Suspecting interference from GraceNote, I disabled the GraceNote database but this made no difference. Curiously, I happened to notice that even with GraceNote disabled, some tracks were still showing tag names that were definitely not how I had tagged them – suggesting that this incorrect tagging had somehow survived even though I had also tried rebooting the Infotainment system. Finally I did a factory reset and after that I could see it was using tags as I had set them – but still several songs coming up as unknown artist/album/title!

To cut a long story short, the solution was to run these problematic songs through an mp3 validator, MP3val (a free tool easily found on sourceforge). This checks the integrity of the mp3 structure and will fix most problems. This did indeed flag up some corruption and a couple of clicks later this was fixed.

Interesting to note that although MP3val was indicating some corruption, it did not seem to cause any issue when playing these songs or displaying the tags on any other platform – so the Infotainment system seems to have little tolerance.

However – after fixing the corrupt files, it still needed one more factory reset to get it reading all tags 100% perfect (and everything plays in the right order). As yet I have not tried to re-enable GraceNote, not sure I will bother having got this far….

Just one final note – I realized that the songs that were causing me problems were all ones I had “inherited”. Anything I have personally ripped from original CDs is generally okay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well it was all going so well until a few weeks later when it suddenly started showing all artists as "unknown" on one of my USB sticks. Rebooted the Infotainment System, no change, reformatted the USB and re-copied all the tracks, still no change .... until I did a factory reset and then it was 100% fine again.

Just wondering if the USB stick overheats as we had been out most of the day playing music from that USB, it is a small Sandisk thumbnail stick, maybe it is physically too small, I bought them because they look neat and you don't really notice them. It had been playing the tracks perfectly well, just started showing all artists as unknown.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
Had some of the issues as well.

I have a 128 GB Sandisk which is almost filled with FLAC files (I have the tweak installed). 3769 songs total.

When I first bought the car I also had this Unknown Artist/Song issues, but the system didn't play those songs, and just hung up. I think this is fixed in .502 FW.

I fixed the issue by clearing tags of those files and retagging them with MP3Tag.

But now I have some tracks that won't play for some reason. It just hangs for a few seconds when I select this track, and them skips it to the next in the list. Haven't figured out the reason of such behavior yet. I have .502 now. Didn't have such issues with the same files on 56.x FW.

BTW, yesterday I also killed the Gracenote DB by starting the update and removing the USB flash during the update process. But it did not fix the issue with some of the Artists being shown wrong (I had Grey Daze, which was shown as Greg Lake). I thought it was a FW issue, until today I also noticed that I have changed some of the tags and it showed the previous version in the system, so I decided to do a Factory Reset and it fixed the issue.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top