2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I hope this help someone, I've always liked my phone close at hand mounted below the dash, but I hate windshield suction mount and vent clip mounts as I feel that they're flimsy.

At the sametime I didn't want to drill into my dash to mount the ball for my ram mount so I did a combo of proclips+ram mount.

I looped the USB underneath the center console so that it's totally hidden and out of the way.

Anyway I hope this quick guide will help someone.

Stuff used:

Ram Mount Ball
Ram Mount X-Grip Universal Holder
Pro-clips base for mazda 3 HB
6Ft Length Lightning Cable (or usb cable of choice for your phone)
Panel Removers (Not required but makes removing the panels easier w/o scratches).

First, out come the cup holder section

Next I sniped a tiny section away from the inside of the cup holder section so that the usb can pass through without being pinched

Next you remove the driver side kicker panel and pull the cable through.

Then I removed the top decoration panel (aluminum part) that holds the center air vent grill and pull the cable up.
You can see my wire fish poking down in this next pic ready to pull it through

Then out through the top.

I decide to run the usb cable out through the air grill so that it's not pinched and also causes the panel to squeak or rattle.

Next is just simple sliding in the pro clips. I decided to scroll in my ram ball base into the pro clip with a little bit of 3m double sided tape behind for good measure.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I saw those but it's a bit low for my taste.
I understand. But I didn't want to cover any of the buttons and I like things looking like they are built in, not added on. It all depends on how you use your phone. I don't use mine for navigation, the infotainment system handles phone calls well, and I don't text or do emails while driving.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts