2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car: 2012 Mazda 3 i Mileage: 75XXX

My Gf's 2012 MZ3 is experiancing uneven brake pad wear. The drivers side front pad wore down to the metal after only 10k miles. This is the second time this has happened (last time was not so extreme in terms of low miles) but now we think there is a bigger issue. The passenger side pad seemed to be wearing normally and we replaced both sides. My father, a mechanic of 50 years, seems to think the caliper may be the issue in the sense it may be sticking in the open position and causing the pad to get chewed up. Has anyone else had this type of issue? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
ch ch ch chia
504 Posts
I would start by getting that wheel in the air and turning the rotor to check for resistance. Try lubricating the slider pins too.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick responses. Any other thoughts? Anyone have/had this issue and it turned out to be something else.

·
Working Class Hero
3,653 Posts
Have you noticed any smells? Does the car pull one way or the other when you get on the brakes?

Sent from the wrong side of the tracks.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I seem to drive the car only when she thinks she has a problem. Lol. But no, the car drives normal, brakes fine (when not grinding due to worn pad), and does not produce smells.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts