2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UltraGauge, a mini review+discussion

I decided to pick myself up an UltraGauge for Christmas. There hasn't been much discussion here about them, so I figured I would get the ball rolling by posting a confirmation that it works on the 2nd gen MZ3 2.5l L5-VE ECU. I got mine less for the realtime MPG support, which is already displayed on my MZ3's OBC display, but more for missing basics like engine coolant temperature, and to get a view at things like STFT/LTFTs, MAF readings, Manifold pressure, intake air temp, and so on.

It taps power parasitically from the diagnostic port using an integral non-removable cable and features a LED-backlit full raster LCD display with ambient light auto-brightness. It can display eight rows of text, and displays simple graphics, multiple typefaces on the gauges. It offers several gauge pages, six gauges per page: top two large, bottom four small. The physical package itself is surprisingly thin and lightweight. There are three buttons (up, down, menu/enter) which by default beep when pressed. They're located on the BACK of the unit, but they're easily used both handheld and while the unit is mounted in its suction-cup holder. The holder is attached to a ~6" flexible stalk on a window suction cup.

My version is the "Dec 2 2010" 1.0 firmware. Firmware updates are said to be free but require the unit to be shipped at expense to the company for updating. In addition to realtime gauges/data, it supports pending trouble codes, trouble codes, and customizable high/low/high+low alarms for each gauge parameter given.

Their forums mention a possible update with extended ecu code support, but they admit they left it out because they thought it'd be too hard to support. Their forum users suggested they either leave it to the user community to support, or just not support that feature, but add it either way. ;)

Here are the gauges it auto-detected and made available in my 2010.5 MZ3 s Sport 2.5l 6-spd:

1. % Engine Load
2. Coolant Temp 'F
3. Shrt fuel trim bank1
4. long fuel trim bank1
5. Intake Pressure abs
6. RPM
7. MPH
8. Timing Advance
9. Intake Air Temp 'F
10. Mass Airflow 1 g/s
11. Throttle Position %
12. Bank1 OS 2 Voltage
13. Run Time ECM
14. Distance with CEL on
15. EGR % Flow
16. Evaporative % Purge
17. Fuel Level %
18. Warm ups TC cleard
19. Dist since TC cleard
20. Evap Vapor PSI
21. Barometric inHG
22. Cat Bank1 Sensor1 'F
23. Battery Voltage
24. Rel Throttle Pos % abs
25. Accel Pedal Pos1 %
26. Accel Pedal Pos2 %
27. Cmd Throttle Pos %
28. Mass Air Flow 2 g/s
29. Instantaneous MPG

There were another 21 gauges derived indirectly, mostly MPG-calculation related and misc like that. Updates appear to occur on a 0.5hz interval.

I think the best thing about this is that the UltraGauge can be had, shipped, for about $75. (Does not include a $9 mail-in rebate available, but you must jump through hoops to get it anyway.) Half the cost of the ScanGauge II, but also offers: twice the screen size and a nice backlit one too, more complex displays, audible alarms, pending trouble codes. The only bit missing are the custom ECU codes, which may show up in a later revision.

EDIT: UPDATE: A mini-review in video format that I made this morning and posted to youtube:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got an pics or videos of it installed? Very curious to know more about this
I went ahead and created a mini-review video and posted it on youtube. You'll find it now included at the bottom of my original post! Hope this is helpful!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Definitely looks better than their website suggests and better than the ScanGauge.

Wish they'd get the other ECU sensors in there too, I'm not too keen on installing a transmission temp sender and gauges, and tranmission temp is another one I'd like to be able to monitor.

Also, it looks like your cable coming from the unit is hardwired in? I liked the detachable cable and the two ports to plug it in to on the ScanGauge... it makes custom mounting a bit easier.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This gauge looks very good and I just placed an order, thanks for the video !! BTW, I have a 2012 Mazda 3 and according to their site Mazda 3 2012 ECU will not shut down the UG unit, so besure to let thme know if your ride is a 2012 so they update their gauge before ship to you so the UG unit will work correctly!! Again, thanks Chormal for the info !!

·
Registered
26 Posts
According to his video and I reviewed over at UG's website the unit looks very good !! As for the accurateness, you are plug into the OBD II for direct info so you can not go wrong !! Since all vehicle now a days this is the only way for a tech to dignostic you ride correctly .. plus, Mazda3 has no Temp gauge only a dumb light !! I trust a gauge more then a light!! Don't you agreed ??

·
Silver Surfer
2,904 Posts
Can it really turn of the check engine light...?!!
Like the one that comes on after a header install??!!

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
Can it really turn of the check engine light...?!!
Like the one that comes on after a header install??!!

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide
No, you can do it temporarily like going to autozone and clearing it though. Not exactly what I wanted but I like the device.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just got my ultra gauge and installed on to my Mazda 3 this afternoon.. I'll try to put up picture tonight!!
it looks very nice and now I can track my water temp and not just relied the dumb blue light !! hehe !

·
Registered
102 Posts
Here is where I located my Ultra gauge and yes it block a few buttons on my radio but you still can change all stations if you needed to + load your favor CD .. too ... !!
Could you tell me at what temperature the blue temp light goes out? What is the average running temp?
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts