2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone! This is long overdue from when I said I would have it up. Took lots of pictures so it will be a lengthy post. I purchased the unit in the beginning of June after having my eye on one for a while. I'm a gadget guy, so this was right down my alley. Shipped it was ~$85 before the rebate and included the mount. Alot of people complain about it but I though it was easy and those who do complain are flat out LAZYYYYYY. Anyways, on to the good stuff!

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm

The box it ships in is small but the device is well packaged and the internals are custom for holding everything. Small enough to fit in my apartment complex's mailboxes which aren't very large. DO NOT THROW AWAY THE YELLOW PAPER if you want the rebate. It has the URL for the rebate that I couldn't find on their site except fora reference to this sheet of paper. So everything in the box includes: Ultragauge, flexible mount, rebate info, packing sheet.

The device itself is rather small but I feel is the perfect size for the car. Its big enough where the information you want to see is displayed yet small enough to remain unobtrusive to your vision when driving.

My mounting location

After finding my mounting point, I did some cable management since there is alot of slack. I ziptied the extra cable and tucked it behind the dash panel. It also kind of acts like a theft deterrent because you would either have to rip off the paneling, cut the wires, or spend a decent amount of time fishing the wires out. I always detach it from its mount and put in the little cuby hole where the OBDII port is when I exit the car and I made sure there was enough slack to do this. There are some velcro pads that come with the device. I mounted them on the back of the gauge and the inside of the mounting clip to secure it more and reduce vibrations. It comes in and out easily when unclipped.

They say to read the manual first before doing anything, I said forget that(bad habit of mine, lol)! I took it downstairs to my car, plugged it right in, and started exploring the menus. This picture below has all of the main pages to select to modify it to your liking.

Starting off with the gauge menus, is this page. You can zero tracked stats from here, or continue further to setup what gauges are displayed where.

There are a total of 7 gauge pages you can have and cycle through manually or have them switch after a certain time. I left mine on manual switching. There are a ton of useful gauges. If you go to their website(linked in the first paragraph) and put in your make, model, and year, a list of gauges available will show up.

On each page, you can display up to 6 gauges at a time. The location on the page of each number is shown below.

The next menu is the fuel menu. There are options here to set fuel tank size, monitor fuel usage, track fill ups, etc. Haven't fiddled much with this area except to estimate fuel level.

The next menu is the vehicle setup page. Here you can put in vehicle info such as engine displacement, fuel tank size, etc. Obviously I set my displacement to 2.5L and my fuel tank to 12.5 gallons since that corresponds with the digital meter in our cluster.

The menu below the vehicle setup is the Ultragauge Setup page. Here you can the version of ultragauge, restore defaults, and perform the factory test which is required for the rebate.

Next up is the Display Settings page. You can adjust contrast levels of the screen, backlight levels, ambient sensitivity. I have my contrast set to 50%, backlight to 100%, and I didn't touch the ambient sensitivity.

5% Contrast

50% Contrast

100% Contrast

The 2nd to last page is the Alarms page. Here you can set the values for when alarms go off for certain gauges. For example, my engine coolant temp is set to give an alarm if it goes over 250F. You can set alarms for any gauge you can select. You can also determine whether a pending code or trouble code will give off an alarm. Mine are all set to off since I'm still dealing with a CEL(more on that later). Forgot to take a pic but this menu is pretty easy to navigate and understand.

The last menu to select from is the Trouble Code page. Here you can view pending codes, trouble codes, and clear them. It will give you a read out of the code, for example P0137.

Note the CEL on in the background.

CEL is now off.

Navigating the device is weird at first but is easily learned. There is a menu button on the top left when looking at the display. On the other half are up and down buttons. The menu acts as an enter button once a gauge/parameter is selected. It also can suspend alarms by holding it down when the alarm shows. The arrow keys are then used to increase/decrease or change the value of the parameter. Again, very simple to learn.

My final impressions
I absolutely love the Ultragauge for what it is! Its a nice OBDII reader/scanner with a great display and lots of information. It can clear codes, monitor things you couldn't before(engine temp for us MZ3 owners :argh 1:), is small and compact, easy to use, and not expensive compared to the other options on the market. I'd recommend one if you have some spare cash or are a gadget guy like me. Feel free to ask any questions if you have any in this thread!

-Crespo

·
Registered
40 Posts
I like it for what it is. I have a bluetooth scanner with torque on my phone but I dont feel as if I get updated info very fast, I was wondering what the refresh rate of this is because you cant beat this price with a stick for mount and everything. Can this track or is it just an instant readout only?

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like it for what it is. I have a bluetooth scanner with torque on my phone but I dont feel as if I get updated info very fast, I was wondering what the refresh rate of this is because you cant beat this price with a stick for mount and everything. Can this track or is it just an instant readout only?
Response is super quick. If there is a delay I don't notice it. Wired is gonna be faster than bluetooth and the phone. It is instant readout only but is still great. If you set your alarms right you will know if something screwy is going on versus going through datalogs later on.

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice review.

As a side note you get P0139 and I get P0421 for my header. I forget did you try the MSDS fix? (the resistors)
I did on my old sensor which caused the P0140(aka dead sensor). With the new one and the spacer I was getting 3 at one point but repositioned the spacer to the sensor is more "downstream" and receives a bit more air. Now I get the P0139. I'm wondering if the spacer is tightened enough, or if I should put some teflon tape or something on it to seal it better.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
I'm pretty sure it doesn't do oil temp. Only coolant temp. Thats the only thing i want that it doesnt have. But it seems awesome! I probably said this before but I'd be afraid someone would bust my window to steal it thinking it was a gps. I guess I could hide it lol

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm pretty sure it doesn't do oil temp. Only coolant temp. Thats the only thing i want that it doesnt have. But it seems awesome! I probably said this before but I'd be afraid someone would bust my window to steal it thinking it was a gps. I guess I could hide it lol

Just do the wire tuck like I did and take it off the mount when you get outta the car

·
TM3 Member
105 Posts
Most cars don't have trans temp senders in stock form. If the car had them I'm sure it would read that as well.
sorry what i meant is that ultraguage doesn't have the ability to do so - it says so right on their website. i was ready to order since it's half the price of a scanguage, but that is one feature i really need.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Whatchu worried about trans temp for? Lol.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Oohh ok. I thought you might be towing stuff or something. Lol

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I realize how long this bump is, but it belongs here since it is just an addition/revision to the same current UG. Anyhow, just posting to mention that the current version includes a Performance folder!

I'll have to go out an play with it and get times on both the 3 and TT.

·
The New CWP 3
496 Posts
Random bump question, I just received mine, shipping is awesome! It took less than two days to Canada which was awesome!

To my question though, has anyone experienced battery drain with their ultragauge installed? I was reading through the guide and apparently the 2010+ ford focus experiences battery drain and I wasn't sure if we share that problem with the ultragauge and our mz3's? There's a way to fix it but I'm just curious!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
It is only an issue it it doesn't automatically shut off up to a few seconds after the ignition is cut. If it stays on, you can play with the the different auto off protocols and even change the threshold voltage for shutting off. That is the easiest way...if it isn't turning off, it means the residual voltage of your battery with the ignition off is higher than the cutoff for the ultragauge and you can adjust that threshold voltage higher and higher until it turns off by itself. Don't go too high or it will be a problem in the other direction where it shuts off while ignition is on and while you are driving. It all depends on your own battery and what it is doing while ignition is on and off.

·
The New CWP 3
496 Posts
It is only an issue it it doesn't automatically shut off up to a few seconds after the ignition is cut. If it stays on, you can play with the the different auto off protocols and even change the threshold voltage for shutting off. That is the easiest way...if it isn't turning off, it means the residual voltage of your battery with the ignition off is higher than the cutoff for the ultragauge and you can adjust that threshold voltage higher and higher until it turns off by itself. Don't go too high or it will be a problem in the other direction where it shuts off while ignition is on and while you are driving. It all depends on your own battery and what it is doing while ignition is on and off.
So far it's been shutting off like it's supposed to so all is good in my world! Thanks!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts