2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been searching for tyres to replace the stock Dunlops on my Sport Nav 3 in the UK. I previously had Michelin CrossClimates on a Golf (I live in Scotland so all season is a good choice) but these aren't available in the 215/45/18 size of the Mazda, in fact the range of tyres seems to be very small.

What have other UK owners done when it's been time to change tyres? I've considered changing size to 225/45/18 but after a phone call to my insurers where they didn't really understand what I was talking about I've been put off going down that route.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hi,

I've been searching for tyres to replace the stock Dunlops on my Sport Nav 3 in the UK. I previously had Michelin CrossClimates on a Golf (I live in Scotland so all season is a good choice) but these aren't available in the 215/45/18 size of the Mazda, in fact the range of tyres seems to be very small.

What have other UK owners done when it's been time to change tyres? I've considered changing size to 225/45/18 but after a phone call to my insurers where they didn't really understand what I was talking about I've been put off going down that route.

Thanks,
Mark
I have the same tyres on my 2017 UK Mazda 3 Sport. I find the factory fitted Dunlop Sport Maxx TT tyres a bit noisy but they have the lowest drive by EU noise rating of tyres in this size available in the UK. Please post if you find a quieter tyre for in cabin noise. I wouldn't mess about changing tyre sizes due to the probable increased insurance cost (if you can get cover).

·
Registered
457 Posts
Not sure if you get them in the UK, but just put Bridgestone RE003's on my 3 and they are fantastic in the dry and wet. Not sure about the snow. We don't get much of that down under.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Not sure if you get them in the UK, but just put Bridgestone RE003's on my 3 and they are fantastic in the dry and wet. Not sure about the snow. We don't get much of that down under.
I can only locate the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A in the UK. The Sport Max TT is the tyre having the lowest EU drive by noise (68dB) available in the UK but this says nothing about the noise transmitted into the cabin.

Other low drive by noise tyres available in the UK on 18" wheels are:

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 (69 dB)
Vredestein Ultrac Satin (70 dB)
Yokohama BluEarth RV-02 (70 dB)
Toyo Proxes Sport (71 dB)
Yokohama Advan A10A (71 dB)
Michelin Pilot Sport 3 (71 dB)

Has anyone replaced their Sport Max TT tyres with any of the above tyres and found them quieter?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I can only locate the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A in the UK. The Sport Max TT is the tyre having the lowest EU drive by noise (68dB) available in the UK but this says nothing about the noise transmitted into the cabin.

Other low drive by noise tyres available in the UK on 18" wheels are:

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 (69 dB)
Vredestein Ultrac Satin (70 dB)
Yokohama BluEarth RV-02 (70 dB)
Toyo Proxes Sport (71 dB)
Yokohama Advan A10A (71 dB)
Michelin Pilot Sport 3 (71 dB)

Has anyone replaced their Sport Max TT tyres with any of the above tyres and found them quieter?
Hi SC489,

I don’t have direct experience on a Mazda yet as we are still on the look out for our first but I do have a bit of experience with 245/45/18’s on my insignia and can recommend the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym 3 (have them fitted currently). They’re grippy wet and dry and fairly quiet but not the cheapest but can feel a little soft (which is good for the family). Saying that they’re not a massive improvement over some Nexen NFerra SU1 i has on preciously which were much cheaper.

I’ve also run Pirelli PZero in the past and they are great if not a little stiff (but I like them responsive).

The drive by noise levels unfortunately have no bearing on interior cabin noise so a bit irrelevant for your purposes.

I had Bridgestone pozenza re050a on the insignia when I first had it but they were well worn, still great from what I can remember but got a good deal on the Pirelli when I replaced them.

Might not be much help as I appreciate you’re looking at more of a cross tyre but all the ones I’ve listed I’ve been happy in the wet and dry but they’re definitely no good in snow...any of them. They do the job if you’re steady on fairly flat roads but they’re all summer tyres as I’m sure you’re aware.

My wife always runs uniroyal rainsport 2’s (now replaced by the rainsport 3) and they are definitely a very good all rounder but these were on 16’s in a light car (fiesta). The 3’s are supposed to be better and quieter but look slightly odd due to the tread pattern but don’t let that put you off straight away as they get great reviews. Again not a cross tyre as such but definitely the best of the ‘summer’ tyres in the rain and snow but I imagine not as good as the cross climate. Worth a look though!

Wish I could be more help.

Geoffers

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hi SC489,

I don’t have direct experience on a Mazda yet as we are still on the look out for our first but I do have a bit of experience with 245/45/18’s on my insignia and can recommend the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym 3 (have them fitted currently). They’re grippy wet and dry and fairly quiet but not the cheapest but can feel a little soft (which is good for the family). Saying that they’re not a massive improvement over some Nexen NFerra SU1 i has on preciously which were much cheaper.

I’ve also run Pirelli PZero in the past and they are great if not a little stiff (but I like them responsive).

The drive by noise levels unfortunately have no bearing on interior cabin noise so a bit irrelevant for your purposes.

I had Bridgestone pozenza re050a on the insignia when I first had it but they were well worn, still great from what I can remember but got a good deal on the Pirelli when I replaced them.

Might not be much help as I appreciate you’re looking at more of a cross tyre but all the ones I’ve listed I’ve been happy in the wet and dry but they’re definitely no good in snow...any of them. They do the job if you’re steady on fairly flat roads but they’re all summer tyres as I’m sure you’re aware.

My wife always runs uniroyal rainsport 2’s (now replaced by the rainsport 3) and they are definitely a very good all rounder but these were on 16’s in a light car (fiesta). The 3’s are supposed to be better and quieter but look slightly odd due to the tread pattern but don’t let that put you off straight away as they get great reviews. Again not a cross tyre as such but definitely the best of the ‘summer’ tyres in the rain and snow but I imagine not as good as the cross climate. Worth a look though!

Wish I could be more help.

Geoffers
Thanks. In your experience, which of the 245/45/18 tyres you fitted were quietest for interior cabin noise?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sorry for the delay...don’t think I’ve set up notifications correctly.

To be honest I’ve never really noticed a huge difference between them when new...seem to be a bit noisier as they wear but then it’s that long in between that I have inevitably got used to the current noise levels and it’s all a bit relative.

The Goodyear F1 Asym3 I have fitted currently seem good and about as quiet as anything I can remember but they’re not cheap...for the price the Mrs has never had a problem with the rain sports (albeit on a smaller lighter car - fiesta) and we’ll be putting some on the front axel next week on our new Sport.

Each to their own I guess depending on your budget etc...I’ve always personally gone for grip and performance over noise so if noise is your key driving factor I could only suggest to check out a few tyre reviews but then they’re all hit and miss unfortunately. One persons quiet is another persons ‘deafening’ when you look at some of the reviews...it might actually even confuse matters ?

Sorry I can’t help more

Geoffers

·
Registered
56 Posts
What I can do (if you haven’t already got some) is let you know how the rain sports compare to the Pirelli P7 that are being replaced on Tuesday next week if that is any help?

Geoffers

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi,
Just My.02 I put Rainsport 3's on my 3 and got 11,000 out of the fronts. the compound is extremly soft and spirited driving is rewarded with worn tires. However They were great tires in the rain so in Wales that is a positive! Always gripped even when taking corners at Pace.

I changed last year to F1's albeit 225/40/18 and so far have been impressed, they are quiet, handle well in the wet and dry. The only offset is the ride now is a little stiffer than it was on the wider 45's. I have done 8500 miles so far and the treads are at 5.5.

In my experience your insurance company is only bothered if you put on after market wheels with strange offsest and different size tires/wheels front and back. If you have the same size all round you should be okay. I paid £86 a corner fitted.

Mark(a different one!)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi,
Just My.02 I put Rainsport 3's on my 3 and got 11,000 out of the fronts. the compound is extremly soft and spirited driving is rewarded with worn tires. However They were great tires in the rain so in Wales that is a positive! Always gripped even when taking corners at Pace.

I changed last year to F1's albeit 225/40/18 and so far have been impressed, they are quiet, handle well in the wet and dry. The only offset is the ride now is a little stiffer than it was on the wider 45's. I have done 8500 miles so far and the treads are at 5.5.

In my experience your insurance company is only

bothered if you put on after market wheels with strange offsest and different size tires/wheels front and back. If you have the same size all round you should be okay. I paid £86 a corner fitted.

Mark(a different one!)
Thanks for that TaffyPosh,

Good to hear what the 3’s are like. My wife likes them for that exact reason (very soft and grippy and she doesn’t drive to fast round the bends so she tends to get a couple years out of them with the mileage she does...it’s a good point well made that I neglected to comment on as it never affected us but yes they can wear quickly if your quick through the twisty stuff but can’t have a grippy tire that lasts forever I guess).

Can you comment on the noise of the RS3’s against the F1’s?

Good to hear the F1’s are treating you well...that’s a cracking price for those!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi,
I would say the F1's are quieter than the 3's. The other noticeable thing about the 3's is when they were nearing there end of life you could hear it on the concrete roads that we have a lot of round here. If she is doing 6-8000 a year then i would say go fro the 3's in the regular size if you can get a good price.

I have put them on my wifes 2 and she loves them!

Mark

·
Registered
56 Posts
Went for the Uniroyals RainSport 3’s (just front axle for now - rear on the Dunlop SPSportMaxx original fitment and still have 5.5mm tread).

Only done a few miles on them so far but they are quieter than the previous set-up (could be as the old ones were mixed on the axle) but they’re comfy quiet and grip well so far.

Only thing I have noticed is the kerb protection is not as pronounced as on some tyres but there seems enough to prevent any minor scuffs (hopefully).

Will try to remember to report back after a few more miles.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Went for the Uniroyals RainSport 3’s (just front axle for now - rear on the Dunlop SPSportMaxx original fitment and still have 5.5mm tread).

Only done a few miles on them so far but they are quieter than the previous set-up (could be as the old ones were mixed on the axle) but they’re comfy quiet and grip well so far.

Only thing I have noticed is the kerb protection is not as pronounced as on some tyres but there seems enough to prevent any minor scuffs (hopefully).

It's interesting the RainSport is rated at 72db drive by EU noise rating compared to 68dB for the Sport Maxx TT. This is a large difference considering dBs are a logarithmic scale. However, the EU rating is for external noise and says nothing about noise transmitted into the cabin. Do you find the car much quieter on rougher tarmac roads over 40 mph which is the situation where I find the Sport Maxx TTs are noisy?

·
Registered
56 Posts

It's interesting the RainSport is rated at 72db drive by EU noise rating compared to 68dB for the Sport Maxx TT. This is a large difference considering dBs are a logarithmic scale. However, the EU rating is for external noise and says nothing about noise transmitted into the cabin. Do you find the car much quieter on rougher tarmac roads over 40 mph which is the situation where I find the Sport Maxx TTs are noisy?
Hi sc489,

Yes, I think this is part of the problem with the EU rating is thatbthe noise level is ‘drive by’ as you state and does not necessarily have any indication on whether it is quiet inside the cabin. A quiet tyre for pedestrians might not be for the driver.

I even read somewhere during my research that some people believe that a low EU noise rating can actually be louder in the cabin as the noise generated has to go somewhere and is deflected into the wheel arch (and into the cabin) rather than outside the car. I have noticed a lot of the newer tyres with low noise rating have a ‘closed’ outer edge where the older ‘noisier’ tyres were open (i.e. on asymmetric tyres the outer water channel is not connected to the outer edge of the tyre by the smaller lateral grooves). Wherther this is true (to any extent) I have no idea but it kind of makes sense but I suspect that all tread compounds and tyre designed will vary significantly in how they generate and distribute sound.

Anyway - back on topic...I haven’t noticed any major noise concerns over our local roads (combination of new smooth tarmac, old worn tarmac and the occasional (becoming more frequent) pothole at any speed.

We’ve done about 400 miles since we’ve had the tyres on and they’ve put up with me hurling it around a few corners to test the grip by myself along with some steady commutes with the kids and they’ve been brilliant so far - plenty of grip, no noticeable torque steering or tram lining, as quiet as I could hope for (still generate some noise but every tyre will) and fairly good feedback through the steering considering their soft compound. We have the 100 rated XL (extra load) so not sure if this makes a difference.

So far, I could definitely recommend them...last main thing is wear, which only time will tell...I will try to remember to report back after the service in March to confirm current wear at the time and also beyond.

Geoffers

·
Registered
504 Posts
you mean you have to call your insurance provider everytime you update your tyres and tyre size in the uk?!?

·
Registered
667 Posts
you mean you have to call your insurance provider everytime you update your tyres and tyre size in the uk?!?
You can fit any tyres you like which have the same size /profile as supplied - for my Mazda 3 Sport this is 215/45R18. If you deviate from that you face an insurance premium hike which could be substantial and 'dodgy' drivers may fail to be offered insurance.

·
Registered
504 Posts
You can fit any tyres you like which have the same size /profile as supplied - for my Mazda 3 Sport this is 215/45R18. If you deviate from that you face an insurance premium hike which could be substantial and 'dodgy' drivers may fail to be offered insurance.
wow, that's a bit troublesome. especially from something small like 215 to 225. tbh, you make sense, but i don't know if this is just a EU/ UK thing or it's an whole world thing. all i know is that this is the first time i'm hearing something like this..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Thanks,
Mark
Hi Mark
I just had 225/45 18 fitted. The tyre place fit them by mistake. The difference in overall diameter is 10mm. Under Roadworthy regulations in Victoria Australia differences under 14mm are acceptable and legal. I had Bridgstone Potenza R003 fitted. I absolutely love them they offer enormous amount of grip. My car now feels like a GoKart. I can honestly say after 22 years driving I have never felt such a dramatic improvement after changing tyres. Cheers Carlos

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the replies. I ended up going for Quatrac 5s all around, bloody expensive but they were the only all weather tyre with decent reviews available in the stock size. I decided to stick with stock after two very confusing calls with my insurer who clearly had absolutely no idea about tyre sizes, if I was fitting winter tyres then apparently it would have been fine. I figured spending the extra vs getting into an argument with insurance in the case of an accident was worth it.

Overall enjoying the tyres, they're stickier in the slippery conditions so often present where I live in Scotland.

·
Super Moderator
5,355 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I ended up going for Quatrac 5s all around, bloody expensive but they were the only all weather tyre with decent reviews available in the stock size. I decided to stick with stock after two very confusing calls with my insurer who clearly had absolutely no idea about tyre sizes, if I was fitting winter tyres then apparently it would have been fine. I figured spending the extra vs getting into an argument with insurance in the case of an accident was worth it.

Overall enjoying the tyres, they're stickier in the slippery conditions so often present where I live in Scotland.
I don't know how you folks in the UK ever allowed the insurance industry to have the authority to tell you which tires you can put on your car....thats just plain ridiculous....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts