2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ugly bracket & holes after front license plate removal [Solved]

Hello!

Just bought my first Mazda and am very happy with it! :)

As you guys know, in California they put the front license plate on at the port/dealer and you have to manually remove it if you want to run without. The problem is that after I took it off there's this ugly bracket there. Is it removable?

If not, what can I do about these ugly holes in the front now? Not sure which option to select from the BumperPlugs site as it's actually on the plastic grille material and not on paint.

BumperPlugs for Mazda

Images for reference:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I just went to a hardware store a bought black plastic plugs. I got different sizes to try out since they're cheap.

I had to use a dremmel to grind the threads on the plug so it would fit perfect. Just enough where I could remove them if needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just went to a hardware store a bought black plastic plugs. I got different sizes to try out since they're cheap.

I had to use a dremmel to grind the threads on the plug so it would fit perfect. Just enough where I could remove them if needed.
Got a picture?

·
Registered
87 Posts
That ugly bracket is on ALL Mazda3's unfortunately, built into the grill. For plugs do as the others have suggest, hardware store should have some......

·
Registered
732 Posts
I cleaned up the outside rim of the hole and filled them with black silicone.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Maybe you can file down the rough edges and wrap it with matt black vinyl wrap? Or just put tape over it and plasti dip it?

·
Registered
249 Posts
and that is reason i kept the front plates on. the plate holder is part of the grill
unless you do major work to it and cut the area off and remould it .. it's ugly

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mine didn't have the drill holes on delivery, so I got to drive it around for about a month until I got the front plates and had get the holes drilled. It's no biggie to me though ha.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking of removing my front plate again or at least get the tow hook mount kit. It just hides the design too much. Looks stupid. Even with the tint cover I added.

·
Registered
249 Posts

So if I were to go to home depot and ask them for plastic plugs they wont look at me all weird and wonder what I'm talking about? lol

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
So if I were to go to home depot and ask them for plastic plugs they wont look at me all weird and wonder what I'm talking about? lol
No, they shouldn't. haha I bought mine from Do It Center. They must of had at least 20 kinds (mostly diameter and length of the plug). All were pretty much black.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Yup, just pushed them right in.
ok now i remember why i didn't use the small ones also. The dealer actually drilled 2 holes on one side, yes 2 damn holes. I guess it wasn't level and was crooked initially and they screwed another hole. Because of this I had to use a larger plug and grind down the peg section. I also had to offset the grind, so I could plug the holes and make them look symmetrical.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok now i remember why i didn't use the small ones also. The dealer actually drilled 2 holes on one side, yes 2 damn holes. I guess it wasn't level and was crooked initially and they screwed another hole. Because of this I had to use a larger plug and grind down the peg section. I also had to offset the grind, so I could plug the holes and make them look symmetrical.
O_O That sucks, man.

Note to self: Ask the dealer to take off the front plates to check for shitty drill work before signing purchase agreement.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts