2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
'18 M3HGTP Eternal Blue
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife came home on Thursday, car was covered in debris from landscapers. She's looked it over before leaving work and found multiples of rock chips, stopped at the guard station (she works for the state) to ask about forms to fill out, who to contact, etc... Anyway, today was her first day off so we washed the car with the intent to identify the extend of the damage. Well, it's the entire passenger side, minus the fender that I'd just had wrapped in Xpel PPF. Doors, both roll-down winds, quarter behind the R door, bumper, RR door handle, etc... Gutted, we took it to a repair shop recommended by the Xpel installer (who was awesome, anyone in the Roswell/Atlanta area who wants PPF, I'll happily recommend the shop, just ask me), $3700 and change. They need to essentially disassemble half the car (front and rear windows, wheels, bumpers, pull the film on the undamaged front fender for paint blending)

So much for having a 3-month old pristine car... or going through the efforts to keep it nice. I swear, both my wife and I have serious remorse for swapping from our 2001 Jetta to this 2018 Mazda right now.

·
Registered
988 Posts
All I can say is that: Yes it sucks and it's a big bummer, also it is totally fine to feel that way.

We can try so hard to keep our cars in pristine condition just for somebody who doesn't give a sh*%$ to screw it all up.

Most importantly now is finding who is the landscaper company / individual working in your area that needs to be held responsible for the damages, it would be great to look for any security camera footage near the area of the incident, testimonies from neighbors or finding out if any other people in your area are going through the same kind of problem. You are not suppose to pay that amount of money for the wrongdoings of irresponsible people, somebody is accountable for this.

Best of luck on repairing your 3! Keep us posted regarding the outcome of the repair.

·
'18 M3HGTP Eternal Blue
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, we know the company, they have a contract with the state. Sheriffs report was filed the day after (Friday), spoke with one of the facilities (state employee) folks who said it was a known issue and she had "spoken with them" about it before. Head of facilities was on vacation last week and came in today to be updated, provided us with the company name and had taken the liberty to contact the owner for us (presumably to get permission to give his contact info to us). A co-worker who left work about an hour earlier actually witnessed the 2 landscapers blowing off her car after they'd flung everything all over it and more or less identified them (same 2 who've been on the property at other times).

The hard part is now getting this company to file on insurance/cover damages. Nevermind that the car will forever more show damage repair on carfax, which will drop the value ~ but how do you argue for That? And what about the 2-weeks without use of the vehicle as it goes through the repair? The best news I've seen is that it's a big company with LOTS of state contracts. They stand to be hurt if they choose not to do the right thing, with the state folks my wife's been talking with already saying that they will help get it resolved.

I've done landscape before (as in, in a parking lot around cars I don't own), it's no bother at all to get work done without Risking doing damage. Sloppy, lazy, don't care....

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
Oh, we know the company, they have a contract with the state. Sheriffs report was filed the day after (Friday), spoke with one of the facilities (state employee) folks who said it was a known issue and she had "spoken with them" about it before. Head of facilities was on vacation last week and came in today to be updated, provided us with the company name and had taken the liberty to contact the owner for us (presumably to get permission to give his contact info to us). A co-worker who left work about an hour earlier actually witnessed the 2 landscapers blowing off her car after they'd flung everything all over it and more or less identified them (same 2 who've been on the property at other times).
File a claim with the state. I was a long time state employee before I retired, and saw this sort of stuff happen many times. Usually there is money budgeted for claims, or there should be. Its expected, its going to happen, its usually planned for. If the damage occurred on state owned property and the landscapers were in a state facility performing services as contracted by the state, the state agency managing the contract is ultimately responsible as they are the landscapers employers. As such, management at that facility should be able to either cover the damages or get the vendor to do so.

·
Registered
569 Posts
We work so hard to find that better than average parking spot in a lot where at least one side of the car won't be dinged by another car and we park as close to the curb as possible...and this happens.

Living in the city, I guess I shouldn't complain as much when on occasion the building supers wash all the sidewalk dirt and grime onto the side of my car. Even though my car is mostly parked in a garage, the garbage collectors are always another one of my big fears as they are literally dragging dozens of bags and large items in between parked cars before throwing them on the truck.

·
Registered
'15 Mazda3
164 Posts
Those landscapers deserve a NEW pair of shoes, preferably made of lead or cement. Something like that is inexcusable.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So much for having a 3-month old pristine car....
I feel your pain. I have had my car for 11 months.

To date:
1) A new engine (yes, long block replaced under warranty... but that will forever bother me... as a replaced engine has potential issues (broken connectors, wiring harnesses not 'factory perfect', etc)
2) Rear ended... rear bumper replaced
3) Less than 7 days after getting car back from body shop... Walk out to my car to discover a woman ran into it (front bumper, left/front quarter panel)! Grrr... At least she stuck around. That damage gets fixed in about a week.

The universe does NOT want me to have a nice new car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts