2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate it, how can I (we) get rid of it. I have an all black 3 and the chrome trim around the bottom of the windows hurts my eyes. What are my (our) options? I really dont want to platidip it.

btw thats not my 3 just some random google image :chuck_norris 1:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I hate it, how can I (we) get rid of it. I have an all black 3 and the chrome trim around the bottom of the windows hurts my eyes. What are my (our) options? I really dont want to platidip it.

I personally like the chrome and added a chrome strip to the top of the window to complete the look. However, I believe the iSport lower trim has black instead of the chrome at the bottom of the window. Why can't you get those pieces from a body shop and install them? Generally, the more expensive the car, the more chrome you get. I just don't get making a car look cheaper. But each to their own....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Yeah chrome is not everybody's cup of tea. I hate mine too and think the car looks cleaner without them lol You can try wrapping it in matte black vinyl. I wrapped it with some left over glossy black vinyl but took it off cuz I think it looks better in matte black.

·
Registered
247 Posts

I dislike chrome as well and think I may use the shadow product eventually once i get the vehicle.

Black chrome

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...pearance-interior/63161-mod-time-tonight.html

Check out that thread, someone has already turned the chrome to black chrome and it looks badass

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ha, I'm the opposite! I despise the one's without the chrome. Just looks cheap to me. The chrome on the Mazda 3 is not overdone and makes it look really classy IMO. Too much chrome is nasty though. But, yeah, obviously there are those that hate it... Good luck.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
476 Posts
I personally like the chrome and added a chrome strip to the top of the window to complete the look. However, I believe the iSport lower trim has black instead of the chrome at the bottom of the window. Why can't you get those pieces from a body shop and install them? Generally, the more expensive the car, the more chrome you get. I just don't get making a car look cheaper. But each to their own....
I really like the chrome touches on your car. I think you missed your calling, although, the anti-chrome crowd may disagree. LoL

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
That shadow chrome duplicolor is pretty cool when done well. Just go with a very thin coat as too many coats will essentially make it gloss black and you lose the translucency.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Only chrome I looking to get rid of is the 3 next to the MAZDA on the hatch and the Chrome front wing. Time to plastidip!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I had mine wrapped in semi-gloss(satin) black.

You can also buy the black window trim from the SV and Sport models. It's a straight replacement.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I really like the chrome touches on your car. I think you missed your calling, although, the anti-chrome crowd may disagree. LoL
And what calling would that be???????

Psychoanalysis begins....

Before I retired, I spent my entire career in marketing, product development, and general management for very large companies in a number of industries. Understanding consumer behavior and product design was an important part of my jobs. I do comprehend the "anti-chrome" mindset and behavior. It had its origins in stripping cars of non-functional weight for track cars but most current adherents don't have that direct connection and have just assimilated the end result. Functionally, we don't even have chrome on the car anymore as most of the so-called chrome is stainless or ABS derivatives. Stripping this very lightweight chrome for lower weight makes little sense so it has become a design alternative. Psychographically, we are talking about a rebellious, rather than mainstream, attitude with things like removing chrome accents, making the car louder, putting on an "evil-M", and keeping it low to the ground so that the potential for scraping is there. Essentially, it communicates "danger" as most rebellions do. Generally, as with most behaviors, adherents don't understand the underlying motivations and just say they like the look. This rebellion behavior is typical of younger people who generally grow out of this behavior pattern as they get older (but not always). When you have kids in high school and college, you really don't want to teach them to be rebellious so you tend to be more mainstream. It is just a part of the cycle of life.

That said, people like me who add chrome touches are also showing behavior patterns that are not entirely functional. We are telling people that the car we are driving is more expensive than it is. Again, this behavior just manifests itself in a similar nature as those rebellious types. I understand what I'm doing because of my background, however, and understand that I really think this car is better than it looks and want to communicate that to others. Do I think the chrome accents make the car look better? Absolutely because in my mind's eye, I see it as a class above the Corollas and Civics and even Accords. And yes, this behavior is more typical in older individuals (like me).

The vast majority of buyers won't make any of these mods because they focus on other parts of their lives to communicate their attitudes like clothes, places they attend, things they buy, etc. Most of us, however, are car freaks and we communicate our attitudes through our rides.

Psychoanalysis ends......

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Wrapped mine w/ matte black vinyl to make it look like rubber. Done this to my older cars. Not a fan of chrome on mine. Up next would be the grille trim. Planning to tackle that w/ bumper off while changing the horns. :)

·
Registered
476 Posts

Before I retired, I spent my entire career in marketing, product development, and general management for very large companies in a number of industries. Understanding consumer behavior and product design was an important part of my jobs. I do comprehend the "anti-chrome" mindset and behavior. It had its origins in stripping cars of non-functional weight for track cars but most current adherents don't have that direct connection and have just assimilated the end result. Functionally, we don't even have chrome on the car anymore as most of the so-called chrome is stainless or ABS derivatives. Stripping this very lightweight chrome for lower weight makes little sense so it has become a design alternative. Psychographically, we are talking about a rebellious, rather than mainstream, attitude with things like removing chrome accents, making the car louder, putting on an "evil-M", and keeping it low to the ground so that the potential for scraping is there. Essentially, it communicates "danger" as most rebellions do. Generally, as with most behaviors, adherents don't understand the underlying motivations and just say they like the look. This rebellion behavior is typical of younger people who generally grow out of this behavior pattern as they get older (but not always). When you have kids in high school and college, you really don't want to teach them to be rebellious so you tend to be more mainstream. It is just a part of the cycle of life.

That said, people like me who add chrome touches are also showing behavior patterns that are not entirely functional. We are telling people that the car we are driving is more expensive than it is. Again, this behavior just manifests itself in a similar nature as those rebellious types. I understand what I'm doing because of my background, however, and understand that I really think this car is better than it looks and want to communicate that to others. Do I think the chrome accents make the car look better? Absolutely because in my mind's eye, I see it as a class above the Corollas and Civics and even Accords. And yes, this behavior is more typical in older individuals (like me).

The vast majority of buyers won't make any of these mods because they focus on other parts of their lives to communicate their attitudes like clothes, places they attend, things they buy, etc. Most of us, however, are car freaks and we communicate our attitudes through our rides.

I agree. My rebellious teenage years have been somewhat tamed with age and experiences, as they are with most this age. Gone are the days of tweaking more horsepower out of my 427, and replaced with a more modest, clean, and detailed approach to my cars. Certainly, the same could also be said for the clothes I wear, the house I own, and the events I enjoy. It is indeed the cycle of life.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Like this idea alot!!! Is it peel-able or permanent
I would say it's more than likely permanent, might be able to take some type of paint remover to it but idk what that would do to the chrome trim. I haven't read too much about it to know for sure but it will be something I'll look into once I'm ready to buy it because it looks good and better than plastidip

·
Registered
38 Posts

Meh, I don't like the chrome on this car because it clashes with the rest of the look. I prefer the look to blend, be subtle, and be consistent. For example, the Mazda6 has chrome around the entire window opening (top & bottom) which goes with the chrome up front and the strip in back, and it looks good. The Mazda3's chrome around just the beltline, however, comes across as garish. The 3 has no chrome strip in back, and if the chrome on the side is deleted, then the chrome on the front begins to look out of place.

I also find that bright accents appear to pop-out, while black appears to suck-in. (Black is slimming after all.) Thus, you can play with how the car's proportions look with the trim--want it to look larger, use chrome--want it to look smaller, use black. I put small wheels on my cars (better ride, lower weight & moment of inertia, better mpg, lower replacement cost), but small wheels don't look as good. So I also use black wheels because they disappear in the tires. I usually don't like stickers, decals, & badges on the back end because a smooth & clean tends to fit a car better. Also, when badges aren't symmetric (different size, font, or just on one side only), that tends to look bad. I removed black rails for a roof rack on the top of my last car and simply having more body color really made it look better IMO because it was simpler & smoother.

OTOH, if the question is why do some things look better than others, like large wheels instead of small wheels, or low profile windows, or a longer/sleeker profile, I don't know. Large wheels have always been appealing (hence whitewall tires were used before large rims were available). Stylists say that higher beltlines (small windows compared to body panels) make a car appear 'sporty' and that appeals to most people. (I actually prefer a more balanced proportion between body & windows.) I think I do like the long & lean look because I associate that with sports cars; hence I like the look of the aero package because the black line on the bottom makes the car look shorter and more sports car-ish. That may be why I like the look of a black roof, too, but I'm not sure on that one.

I find most mods tacky. They strike me as 'look at me' instead of creating a coherent vision.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Meh, I don't like the chrome on this car because it clashes with the rest of the look. I prefer the look to blend, be subtle, and be consistent. For example, the Mazda6 has chrome around the entire window opening (top & bottom) which goes with the chrome up front and the strip in back, and it looks good. The Mazda3's chrome around just the beltline, however, comes across as garish. The 3 has no chrome strip in back, and if the chrome on the side is deleted, then the chrome on the front begins to look out of place.

I also find that bright accents appear to pop-out, while black appears to suck-in. (Black is slimming after all.) Thus, you can play with how the car's proportions look with the trim--want it to look larger, use chrome--want it to look smaller, use black. I put small wheels on my cars (better ride, lower weight & moment of inertia, better mpg, lower replacement cost), but small wheels don't look as good. So I also use black wheels because they disappear in the tires. I usually don't like stickers, decals, & badges on the back end because a smooth & clean tends to fit a car better. Also, when badges aren't symmetric (different size, font, or just on one side only), that tends to look bad. I removed black rails for a roof rack on the top of my last car and simply having more body color really made it look better IMO because it was simpler & smoother.

OTOH, if the question is why do some things look better than others, like large wheels instead of small wheels, or low profile windows, or a longer/sleeker profile, I don't know. Large wheels have always been appealing (hence whitewall tires were used before large rims were available). Stylists say that higher beltlines (small windows compared to body panels) make a car appear 'sporty' and that appeals to most people. (I actually prefer a more balanced proportion between body & windows.) I think I do like the long & lean look because I associate that with sports cars; hence I like the look of the aero package because the black line on the bottom makes the car look shorter and more sports car-ish. That may be why I like the look of a black roof, too, but I'm not sure on that one.

I find most mods tacky. They strike me as 'look at me' instead of creating a coherent vision.
Bright accents do pop out -- that is their purpose and why they are called "accents". Generally, black is seen as "cheap" by most people which is why you see more "chrome" on higher level cars. Designers like chrome because it outlines and magnifies their lines. Only if it is used too much is it garish. Putting the tacked on aero stuff is just tacky and ruins the great lines the designers did. It does not make the car look slimmer, it just looks out of place. From a design perspective, our 3 is a mini-crossover and not a "sleek" sporty car. The way you make it look slimmer is by breaking up the slab side with horizontal lines. As to proportion, that depends on the overall design of the car. By the way, true sports cars do not have aero kits. I've owned Porsches for years and my first new car was a Triumph TR-6.

Specifically regarding the chrome on the bottom of the window, it looks unfinished. Either you turn the whole frame to chrome, or the whole frame to black. IMO, black looks cheap which is why it is only there on the cheapest Mazda 3 model. I chose chrome like most of the high end cars.

Lastly, car color has a lot to do with how chrome looks. Chrome does not go well on a white car and on very dark colors, you can easily have too much chrome. You can put more chrome on medium colors, however, like Reflex Blue and Silver. If you notice higher end cars with chrome like Mercedes, they offer several shades of silver and most of their cars are silver.

Attachments

Reactions: ozymandias
1 - 20 of 24 Posts