2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those TWM owners who have been fortunate enough to have the SS on their gen 2 MS3, as well as on the 1st gen 3/MS3:

How is the TWM shifter feel (side-to-side effort, precision, notchy/mechanical feeling, etc.) between the 1st gen and 2nd gen 3/MS3? I have a TWM SS for my 2004 3i, and I was wondering if the shift feel is similar to that of the SS on the 2nd gen MS3. I recently sat in my cousin's Mustang GT, and I really like how the shifter in it feels - short, but not much effort needed to move the shifter, and moving into gear results in a solid precise click. In comparison, the stock MS3 shifter is smooth, but getting into gear doesn't feel anywhere as precise.

I'm hoping the TWM SS for the 2nd gen 3 offers a feeling similar to what I felt on the Mustang. The TWM SS on the 1st gen 3 feels like a step in between the 2nd gen stock shifter and the Mustang shifter, but still leaves much to be desired. Side-to-side effort on the 3i SS was kinda excessive IMO.

So again: how does the 2nd gen MS3 TWM SS feel compared to the TWM SS designed for the 1st gen cars? Thanks in advance!

·
1,091 Posts
If you're talking about the shift plate for 2nd gen, side to side is the same, fore and aft throws are reduced by whatever percent their site claims with more effort required using the same shift knob. The JBarone short shift plate works on a similar principle. They basically shorten the throws by increasing reducing the distance between the effort and fulcrum on the transmission, but this also requires more effort.

I think the only worthwhile option available to us currently is the TWM full replacement shifter which comes in at a hefty $400. There is no shift lever replacement for $129 like there was for the previous gen 3 (which is now $165).

If cost is no issue, get the full replacement shifter and your choice of shift knob. Else, in the meantime, I recommend just getting solid shift spacers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm really considering the full replacement from TWM, but I really like the appearance of the stock shift knob. Does keeping the stock knob increase shifting effort so much that it becomes a hassle? Are there shifter weights on the market to help solve the problem?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts