2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Smells of Elderberries
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just pre-ordered the TWM Performance full replacement short shifter for the 2010+ 6spd. When I get it I'll update this with some pics of the install and such! :cheesy:

Link to pre-order page

Reactions: Akrynym

·
Silver Demon
837 Posts
So tempting.....I'll wait for your review though. Did you get the transmission adapter as well?

·
Registered
64 Posts
My friend n2o has the prototype in his care and he loves it!

·
Smells of Elderberries
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So tempting.....I'll wait for your review though. Did you get the transmission adapter as well?
I know... I thought about waiting due to the Mazdaspeed transmission adapter issues they where having. It's seems as though the did a lot of R&D and testing on this shifter. I'm not going to condemn a company because of one error... they make good stuff :)

I already have the transmission adapter and solid base bushings... I did order another one of their shift knobs though M1 Abrams satin finish and 6spd engraving, now depending my mood I can change between the factory, big type r, or the m1 :thumbup 1:

My friend n2o has the prototype in his care and he loves it!
:thumbup 1:

·
Silver Demon
837 Posts
Oh I see...the adapter is that short shift plate basically. I'm neutral about them as I'd gone with the JB one. Just looked up the M1...pretty much the A6 without the collar........which I love.

·
Parts test dummy
823 Posts
I really cant wait to get this. I want to do the pre-order but I'm about to get tinted on Thursday so there went my parts money for the month.

·
Smells of Elderberries
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Just received the shifter today... will be installing tomorrow night or Saturday! :yes: added pic in first post

·
Registered
598 Posts
Incredibly curious about your review.. please take lots of pictures and video if you can.

·
Smells of Elderberries
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well Its installed and all I have to say is WOW... worth every penny!!! Total install from disassemble to fine tuning and buttoning everything back up took approximately 3 hrs started last night at around 8pm and finished it up shortly after 11pm.

I'm not going to post a write up only because the included directions are very clear and well detailed. The part that took me the longest was removing the shift cable end from the factory shifter and removal/reinstalling the shift cable mounts (PITA-grab a hold with some pliers and rock it side to side while pulling up at the same time, reinstall isl the reverse plus I lightly tapped them down with a small rubber ended hammer) and fishing nuts and washers out from under the carpet and floor heat ducts ( I have large clumsy hands). My biggest piece of advice I can give is take your time... READ the directions and if you start to get stuck or frustrated STOP take a break and think about what your doing... don't be in a hurry or you'll just end up fighting against yourself.

I'd give the install a difficulty rating of 4/10 for the average Joe with a descent tool kit and anywhere from 2-4hrs install time

The end result of all your hard work is pure amazing. Extremely direct, positive shift engagement, feels smoother/ less notchy. I think the throw I have mine set at is perfect (for me) its not joy stick short, but I don't feel as if I have to lean forward to hit 3rd 5th and 6th anymore... and reverse engagement and lockout are flawless. I've only driven locally 3-4 miles but so far I'd say this is absolutely the best mod I've done to my car HANDS DOWN... thank you TWM :rock:

I'll post up some more pics later but here is a few to oogle

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did the prototyping of this all summer. I LOVE IT. Guys at TWM are awsome and did a wonderfull job ! :)
Here is mine installed :

·
Smells of Elderberries
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just wish I ordered the shift boot also.... o well! I'll order it sometime down the road

·
Banned
80 Posts
Thanks for the review jackf, glad to see you enjoy your new short shifter! It looks very good in the car with the satin M1 Abrams shift knob.

As far as the installation go, we also recommend to all of our customers to take their time and carefully read the manual. It's a straight forward installation but requires that each step is followed in order. For the cables, after installing the shifter a hundred time over the summer, it's easier to do it with the help of an assistant. One to pinch the tabs on the cable and the other to pull up on the cable.

Thanks again for the review!

Frank
Team TWM Performance

·
So Far So Good
189 Posts
I'm looking to do this mod in the mean time I'm trying to solve the issue with the 2nd gear shift on my 6MT.

I went on TWM website to look at their products and it is not perfectly clear for me. What is the difference between the full replacement short shifter and the full replacement + transmission adapter? Is the transmission adapter the same as the short shifter which install in the engine bay. What about base bushing?

·
Smells of Elderberries
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm looking to do this mod in the mean time I'm trying to solve the issue with the 2nd gear shift on my 6MT.

I went on TWM website to look at their products and it is not perfectly clear for me. What is the difference between the full replacement short shifter and the full replacement + transmission adapter? Is the transmission adapter the same as the short shifter which install in the engine bay. What about base bushing?
Comes with it's own solid base bushings....... and yes the transmission adapter is the same one that mounts to the shift lever at the transmission under the battery box. Your just getting a package discount if you buy them together. I'm currently using them both for max reduction in throw and love it!

·
So Far So Good
189 Posts
Does anybody has tried to only replace the base bushings? Is it worth? Don't want to spend 500$ on a full replacement kit for now...need to get an exhaust first :yes:

·
Banned
80 Posts
Does anybody has tried to only replace the base bushings? Is it worth? Don't want to spend 500$ on a full replacement kit for now...need to get an exhaust first :yes:
Sorry to bump this back up guys, but yes many of our customers use only the base bushings and are super happy with the difference it makes.

As for the Full Replacement Stage 2 short shifter, we are now selling tons of them; even race teams our picking up the shifter and are loving it! It's even been compared to the feeling of a sequential gearbox by some of the race teams!

If you guys have any other questions, please let me know and I'll be happy to help!

Thanks,

Patrick
Team TWM Performance

1 - 19 of 19 Posts