2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now prefer to turn off i-stop (using the i-stop button) on my new Mazda 3 since I don’t do much stop/start driving. There appears to be no way to configure iStop in the car’s configuration menu. Is it possible to configure i-stop (e.g. by using the dealer setup software) so the i-stop button operates in the reverse fashion i.e. iStop is set to off by default and turns on when you press the i-stop button? I would find this mode of operation more useful. Several people on the forum have inserted a wedge to set the i-stop button permanently on but I'd prefer a more elegant solution.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll answer my own post! Having done more research, it appears there is currently no way to disable istop in the car's setup software either as driver or dealer setting. Some owners just set the istop button to be permanently on by inserting a wedge between the button and the fascia.

One person reported "knowing that the istop button translates as 85 ohms, you can design a small circuit that introduces this 85 ohms into the system during just the first 5 seconds after starting the car. I've done it, just a N-FET transistor with a small 12v relay and some resistors and one capacitor and the 85 ohms resistor load"

Wedging the istop button on would apply a permanent 85 ohm load on the battery resulting in a continuous drain current of 0.14A and a power dissipation of 1.7W at the switch. Has anyone wedging the istop button on noticed any adverse effects or overheating of the istop switch?

I've also sent a request to Mazda asking them to provide a user option to disable istop or reverse the mode of the istop button i.e. istop is off by default and on when you press the button.

·
Master of Desaster
15 Posts
In the engine hood latch is a small switch which is opened provided whether the engine hood for servicing purposes.
For servicing works the istop is deactivated.
The switch is fixed with a screw and has a plastic plug in a drilling sits. The screw solve, the switch twist, so that the plug sits beside the drilling and again screw on. Now he is not pressed with closed engine hood any more and the istop is deactivated permanently! Because we have no controlling light for the engine hood, there is also no error message!

Sorry for my bad english - I'm from Germany

Reactions: sc489 and minsanity

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
In the engine hood latch is a small switch which is opened provided whether the engine hood for servicing purposes.
For servicing works the istop is deactivated.
The switch is fixed with a screw and has a plastic plug in a drilling sits. The screw solve, the switch twist, so that the plug sits beside the drilling and again screw on. Now he is not pressed with closed engine hood any more and the istop is deactivated permanently! Because we have no controlling light for the engine hood, there is also no error message!

Sorry for my bad english - I'm from Germany
Brilliant solution! Do you have a diagram showing where the switch is?

Does the security system still arm after using this fix since I thought the bonnet has to closed for the system to arm?

·
Registered
2 Posts
One person reported "knowing that the istop button translates as 85 ohms, you can design a small circuit that introduces this 85 ohms into the system during just the first 5 seconds after starting the car. I've done it, just a N-FET transistor with a small 12v relay and some resistors and one capacitor and the 85 ohms resistor load"
I have create a micro controller that disables the i-stop when the car starts. It uses a resistor and a relay to simulate pressing the i-stop button.
I have written a detailed post about it here:
no-cache.net/projects/mazda-how-to-disable-istop

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have create a micro controller that disables the i-stop when the car starts. It uses a resistor and a relay to simulate pressing the i-stop button.
I have written a detailed post about it here:
no-cache.net/projects/mazda-how-to-disable-istop
That's a neat solution. However, in the UK you need to be very wary of non-standard modifications that may invalidate your insurance. I currently just press the iStop off button each time I start the car. How do you disconnect the boot/hood switch and does the alarm arm when you do this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
However, in the UK you need to be very wary of non-standard modifications that may invalidate your insurance. I currently just press the iStop off button each time I start the car.
Remembering to press the i-stop off button is the easiest solution :) Since my modification can be removed without leaving any traces, I'm not worried about any warranty or insurance issues.
Where I live, you only get into trouble with insurance if you modify the engine HP, steering, suspension, lights or brakes.

But isn't disabling the hood switch a "modification"?

How do you disconnect the boot/hood switch and does the alarm arm when you do this?
I have not tested this myself, I just read it on a forum post here:
mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-2017-mazda-3-skyactiv-audio-electronics/57714-infotainment-project-622.html#post2111442

With Google Translate from German Forum:

In the hood lock is a small switch, which mediates whether the hood is open for maintenance purposes.The i-stop is disabled for maintenance purposes. The switch is fixed with a screw and has a plastic pin that sits in a bore. Loosen the screw, turn the switch so that the pin sits next to the hole and screw on again. Now it is no longer pressed with the hood closed and the i-stop is permanently deactivated!

Since we have no control light for the bonnet, there is also no error message!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Remembering to press the i-stop off button is the easiest solution :) Since my modification can be removed without leaving any traces, I'm not worried about any warranty or insurance issues.
Where I live, you only get into trouble with insurance if you modify the engine HP, steering, suspension, lights or brakes.

But isn't disabling the hood switch a "modification"?

I have not tested this myself, I just read it on a forum post here:
mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-2017-mazda-3-skyactiv-audio-electronics/57714-infotainment-project-622.html#post2111442
I have just carried out this modification to my 2017 Mazda 3 by undoing the screw and move the switch away from the bonnet lock and no more Istop. The switch is located under the cover for the bonnet lock. I removed the 2 covers and the switch is then quite visible.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I have just carried out this modification to my 2017 Mazda 3 by undoing the screw and move the switch away from the bonnet lock and no more Istop. The switch is located under the cover for the bonnet lock. I removed the 2 covers and the switch is then quite visible.
Does the alarm still arm when you adjust the bonnet switch like this? Can you post a photo showing what to adjust?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I can't even find the switch. Can someone please post a pic? Is this inside the car (latch) or near the engine bay ?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't even find the switch. Can someone please post a pic? Is this inside the car (latch) or near the engine bay ?
I can't spot it even after trawling through the service manual! Help needed!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks! just did it and will go out and test it shortly.

In my case I had to remove 4 clips to remove the radiator cover. Then there's another plastic cover over the latch which can be removed by slightly bending the sides up to disengage then there was one screw holding the switch which I loosened and twisted the switch out of the way.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks! just did it and will go out and test it shortly.

In my case I had to remove 4 clips to remove the radiator cover. Then there's another plastic cover over the latch which can be removed by slightly bending the sides up to disengage then there was one screw holding the switch which I loosened and twisted the switch out of the way.
Thanks for the detail. Does the alarm still arm after doing this? In most cars all doors, hood & trunk need to be detected as closed for the alarm to arm.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the detail. Does the alarm still arm after doing this? In most cars all doors, hood & trunk need to be detected as closed for the alarm to arm.
Good point. Didn't even realise there was an alarm. How do I test this?
By the way... I still haven't driven the car since I made the change so need to confirm if it works too.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good point. Didn't even realise there was an alarm. How do I test this?
By the way... I still haven't driven the car since I made the change so need to confirm if it works too.
Lock the car with the remote key then open a door with the mechanical key which pulls out of the key fob. The alarm will sound if armed until you press the unlock button on the key fob.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks. No the alarm didn't sound but the istop isn't working anymore which is great. I'm really not too bothered about the alarm. To be honest I didn't even realise the car had one. The car does self lock though when I walk away which I'm happy about. Finally and end to the annoying istop!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks. No the alarm didn't sound but the istop isn't working anymore which is great. I'm really not too bothered about the alarm. To be honest I didn't even realise the car had one. The car does self lock though when I walk away which I'm happy about. Finally and end to the annoying istop!
Which country are you in? I'm in the UK. All UK Mazda 3s are sourced from Japan and have alarms. It seems you either don't have an alarm or disconnecting that switch also disables the alarm as I suspected.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts