2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
ZOOM'IN around Mid-Ohio
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking/planning on putting a Turbo on my 2.5 Auto 5sp. Any thoughts on durability, parts needed, upgrades, etc? Are there shift kits, Torque converters avail? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
There's a torque converter somewhere. @wingzero_ posted it once upon a time. You're going to need turbo, piping, wastegate if not internal, bov, aem fic, turbo mani, oil feed and return lines and bungs, time, patience, possibly a trans cooler, and I'm sure theres more I'm forgetting. If you're serious, sell your 2.5 and buy a speed3 or WRX. It'll be cheaper, faster, and better.

The 2.5 doesn't like boost. It's too stroked out. Rods can't handle it. An old member tried it and blew up.

Reactions: Kjohn63

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
If you want to turbo an economy car buy a manual. An automatic will be the most pain in the ass turbo install.... in this car at least. Car doesn't like boost and won't make much power unless you fully build the engine and by that time you might as well bought a new car.

I wish I would say yeah go throw a turbo on there and make power, but nothing out there for our car is easy or simple which sucks.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I hate to say it but if you have to ask its not for you. Like everyone else said just buy a car with a turbo on it already and be happy

·
Registered
975 Posts
There are options available, but they are ALL fully custom setups. If you were 100% serious about doing it, be prepared to spend about $10,000 and be out of a car for half a year.

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
There are options available, but they are ALL fully custom setups. If you were 100% serious about doing it, be prepared to spend about $10,000 and be out of a car for half a year.
This man tells the truth, you'll need a custom set up(turbo, piping, engine internals, wastegate, tune, etc), trans/oil coolers, etc... I'd say more in the $15k for a proper set up installed from a good reputable shop.

·
Silver Surfer
2,904 Posts
Why do you wanna go turbo? Do u lack power on straight line?

Do you know how to use a manual? If yes trade your car in n get a speed3 its the most cost effective method

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
ZOOM'IN around Mid-Ohio
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks

When I was looking at the Car I looked at both this and the MS3. The problem is I didn't get bit by the tuning bug until after I bought it and saw what can be done. Plus got this for about the same as a 3i. I would like a manual but it sucks for about 80% of my driving which in alot of traffic. And I tried to teach my wife how to drive a stick, didn't go well. I just thought if this could be sucessfully done for lets say around 5k it would be unique.
Since the Turbo(or changing cars) is not an option, theres 2 things engine performance wise I would like it to do better at. Low Torque- It has good pull from about 3500rpm but would like to do better in the lower end.
Also, When not in manual mode, if I gas it at low speed and gear, I get a very annoying hesitation on the downshift. It seems be less noticable since I upgraded intake and exhaust but is still there. Any ideas on reliable upgrades to address those issues?
Thanks.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Oh you can do it for $5000 or so.

One user that is now banned at pretty much every 3 forum did it for about that much... and has already fought for his life about that setup which was a ticking bomb.

And all of us were right.
It finally blew up and he left the Mazda crowd because of ... mostly his general attitude when we were trying to help him but he'd always think we were trying to fight him for being wrong.

Irregardless, you don't really want to do it, there won't be much gain if you want to do it, and it'll end up costing a fortune and no joke... it WILL destroy your motor before you know it.
Turbo won't give you any added torque either; if you're trying to get torque out of a turbo, you'll absolutely blow up your internals immediately.

I don't understand what you mean about hesitation on downshifts at low speed.

·
ZOOM'IN around Mid-Ohio
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, This is my first mazda so I can only compare it to other cars with A/T's I've had in the past. I don't think there is a problem with it. Its just not as responsive as I think it could or should be. I guess it would be mostly if i'm in third or second and hit it. Theres just a lull where it kinda makes you go forward a little then kicks in. I don't really want to take it in as don't think it would help and they probably blame it on my SRI and Exhaust, which I'm pretty sure isn't the reason. It less noticiable after installing those items.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
I'm sure 1-2psi it wouldn't even feel different or blow up. I looked about putting a Mazdaspeed 3 engine in my car, but you need more than the engine
Correct. You need transmission, clutch, ecu, and on and on. If only it was easy. Plus you still don't get the better suspension and brakes. In the end it's more cost efficient to buy the speed and build it. Plus when modded correctly the speed has been proven to be reliable.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Juicy juice is no longer here and won't be coming back. Carry on. :spamani:

Reactions: swerv0428

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
So true...especially when they have the turbo'd car in the same family/dealership. The engineers have done all of the work for you. Enjoy their labor.
Engineers also assisted with turboing the 2.5 sedan that came to 250 to the wheels at 10lbs.

The 2.5 turbo has been done MULTIPLE times, not just by OV. We just remember him too well. And why say he blew up? Last time i recalled he took it out and sold the kit he had..

Know another guy who had his 2.5 turboed and bagged. Just recently brought it back to stock in the last month and sold it.

Only problem i see, is your tranny.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts