2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So from all the various tunes I've performed, I'm going to be setting aside the revenue to do testing on a skyactiv engine for BOOST!

**this is not a sale or advertisement. nothing for sale here**​

since I'm no longer pursuing my idea for "ots map tuners" I'm going to pursue something everyone has been asking.

"Can I turbocharge a skyactiv?"​

Well if all goes well here soon I'm going to be purchasing a skyactiv 2.0L and doing a bunch of various testing, tuning for boost, and having various internal components checked for fatigue limts.

All of this is for the information for the community so they know the possibilities of the engine :).

Stay tuned for more to come :) Like I said (before my post was deleted) BIG things are comming! (information wise)​

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
That'll be fun. Looking forward to seeing this. If you want to skip the header-building phase it'd be cool to see a Rotrex'd Sky instead.

·
Registered
239 Posts
This could be really cool, or really explosive. Either way, fun to see what happens! Keep us appraised :)

·
Registered
965 Posts
I'd love to boost my 2014 2.0L Skyactiv. Nothing serious power wise but more torque for daily enjoyment on the street would be a nice touch. Plus the sounds associated with a turbocharger are always welcomed.

·
such grim, vry kvlt, wow.
177 Posts
"You had my interest, but now you have my attention".

·
Registered
239 Posts
I hope all goes well. I mean we could all go down the path of a Mazdaspeed instead, but you grow attached to your regular 3 after putting work into it. Anyways good luck with your testing :D!
Well said.

·
Registered
965 Posts
:no:
Are you going to test the Skyactiv 2.0 from the 2nd Gen Mazda3 or 3rd Gen Mazda3? I wonder the Skyactiv 2.5 would fare though..
The saying, "There's no replacement for displacement" applies well here...

The 2.5L Skyactiv with the same setup as for a 2.0L engine would naturally put down a bit more power then the smaller block. Shouldn't be but a 30-50hp difference with the final output, but regardless, the bigger 2.5L should put down decent numbers and be a blast to drive around. I wish Mazda would've released the 2.5L engine with manual tranny at the time of my purchase...

·
Registered
251 Posts
:no:

The saying, "There's no replacement for displacement" applies well here...

The 2.5L Skyactiv with the same setup as for a 2.0L engine would naturally put down a bit more power then the smaller block. Shouldn't be but a 30-50hp difference with the final output, but regardless, the bigger 2.5L should put down decent numbers and be a blast to drive around. I wish Mazda would've released the 2.5L engine with manual tranny at the time of my purchase...
Yeah.. Sorry to put the salt on the wound, The 2.5L Sky manual has already released in the Australian market (not sure about NZ market). On the better note, why not take Mazda6 manual if you want it so bad (Mazda6 Touring 6MT would be my first choice if I was shopping this year).

·
Registered
965 Posts
Yeah.. Sorry to put the salt on the wound, The 2.5L Sky manual has already released in the Australian market (not sure about NZ market). On the better note, why not take Mazda6 manual if you want it so bad (Mazda6 Touring 6MT would be my first choice if I was shopping this year).
I needed the Hatchback MZ3. A sedan is no go for me but thank you for trying.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Very interesting.... Comparing the Sky-G to the FA20 at 12:1 compression ratio I'm pretty sure you can run 5-7 pounds of boost safely. Might need to dump more fuel into the equation and retard timing to hold back the knock but I wonder how strong the pistons/rods really are since everything is slimmed down so much. I know the crank should be able to hold the power since it's forged steel vs cast iron in the old MZR. The thing that's worrying is the stress on the crank journals and rod journals since it's smaller then the MZR's

Another thought on my mind is how this motor would handle ITBs. Since everything is balanced from factory and the rotational friction is reduced, how much power can we expect out of a 2.0L or even 2.5L revved out to 8k with the right configuration. Going any higher would start to get scary since the piston speeds would be ridiculous and the load on the sidewalls would increase that much more.

It will be an exciting day when we can make more power out of these units besides bolt ons.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I'll hold my doubts, maybe super low PSI. Does boost at 4psi even .. do anything?

I've seen these rods in person. The Skyactiv engine has been ripped apart and saved of all forms of weight in every way possible. The word skimpy implies cheapness so I won't use that, but believe me when I say it's almost scary to see these in person and wonder why they don't break under daily use.

An e85 tune may work, but let's be honest, who really goes e85 and is happy about it?
(after it ruins all of the fuel system)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.