2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Qestion, there was an article posted (cant remember the site) saying how the 2016 cx-9 engine fits in the 3 and 6. would that mean, I can drop a turbo 2.5 in my '16 axela? I figured the motor mounts would be different. not gonna do this anytime soon because new car. but im just asking if it would be possible to relive the MS3 essentially

·
Registered
14 Posts
I read the article from caradvice (Mazda 6 likely to get 2.5-litre turbo engine, smaller models also possible), but going back to your question, in theory it will be possible to swap that engine into a 3, but there is more to that than just droping the engine in. I will think the wiring harness will have to be modified somehow, i will think the transmission is different, and who knows what else. In all could be a really expensive project which i don't know if it will make sense at the end. Probably swapping a mazdaspeed 2013 engine could be a better idea.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read the article from caradvice (Mazda 6 likely to get 2.5-litre turbo engine, smaller models also possible), but going back to your question, in theory it will be possible to swap that engine into a 3, but there is more to that than just droping the engine in. I will think the wiring harness will have to be modified somehow, i will think the transmission is different, and who knows what else. In all could be a really expensive project which i don't know if it will make sense at the end. Probably swapping a mazdaspeed 2013 engine could be a better idea.
lol I figured Id ask because it sounded like a really interesting idea since mazda is bringing back the speed3. and Ig wiring is gonna kinda be a bitch considering that everything from the top of the valve cover to the exhaust tip is a damn computer. do you think that the motor mounts from the ms3 will line up with the current gen 3 axela?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what the front page of mazda3revolution.com shows, which is news that is older than two years.

Android Auto is also coming soon to Mazda. And I'm not crossing my fingers. :-(
cant you already get android auto if you flash your infotainment system? I have an iphone so I hope they do something similar for ios!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Should change title to turbocharging Axela and not turbocharged..... I keep coming into this thread again and again lol

·
SpeedySpeedBoy313
52 Posts
I was thinking the same thing! But I'm sure it's not that easy since the turbo engine has a different compression ratio, but maybe a whole engine swap with a CX-9 would work. Even then I doubt that the CX-9 engine would interface perfectly with the 3's transmission. Another thing is that it would be very hard to find a brand new CX-9 that has already been totaled, let alone finding one for sale and taking the engine or turbo from it. Possible, maybe. Feasible/worth it? Not really.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just know Mazda has stated this year a Speed version won't be out anytime soon, that they're focusing on their "core" product lines.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts