2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
OGD or DanielleeI, have seen a couple of reports that the turbo is quieter at cruise than the N.A. (due to different tires?) This tester (
) claims a significant 3db improvement. I wonder If he wasn't comparing a sedan to hatch though. What is your impression?

·
Registered
157 Posts
OGD or DanielleeI, have seen a couple of reports that the turbo is quieter at cruise than the N.A. (due to different tires?) This tester (
) claims a significant 3db improvement. I wonder If he wasn't comparing a sedan to hatch though. What is your impression?
Definitely quieter, I think for two main reasons:
  • The exhaust gas has to go thru the turbine, which absorbed a lot of sound wave shock, so when it eventually go thru the tail pipes, it is considerably quieter. Same thing with Porsche 911 Turbo
  • That second rated crap tire (Bridgestone Turanza) on the Turbo is much quieter than the first rate crap tire used in my 2020 AWD (Toyo Proxies), no road rumble, much less tire noise

Mind, when power on, the exhaust is still quite loud, can hear it quite well inside the (quiet) car, but all the rumble would die down once you get to cruising speed, it becomes really quiet, very low engine noise.

Both of my M3 are GT Hatch AWD.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Definitely quieter, I think for two main reasons:
  • The exhaust gas has to go thru the turbine, which absorbed a lot of sound wave shock, so when it eventually go thru the tail pipes, it is considerably quieter. Same thing with Porsche 911 Turbo
  • That second rated crap tire (Bridgestone Turanza) on the Turbo is much quieter than the first rate crap tire used in my 2020 AWD (Toyo Proxies), no road rumble, much less tire noise

Mind, when power on, the exhaust is still quite loud, can hear it quite well inside the (quiet) car, but all the rumble would die down once you get to cruising speed, it becomes really quiet, very low engine noise.

Both of my M3 are GT Hatch AWD.
Thanks. You are taking me off the fence. Nearby dealer has a faux anniversary model (white over red hatch) as one of their first to hit the lot advertised $2300 under list. I intend to do a test drive next week.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I went over to Mazda.USA to do a build and see what the cost would be for a turbo version of the car I am driving now.

My car is a 2019 polymetal gray FWD Auto hatch, Premium trim and it cost me ~27k (including destination).

A 2021 turbo hatch would upgrade that to AWD ($1,000 addition), and the entry level Turbo hatch comes in at ~$32,000 (with the $945 destination charge). However with the upgraded engine/AWD (approx +$4,000) comes a 'leatherette' interior, which is not nearly as nice as the leather seats in my current car.

If you want a 2021 turbo hatch with leather interior, you need to spring for the Premium Plus package, ~$35,000 (with the destination charge), so to have a hatch with leather seats like my car has, adding turbo/AWD, is +$8,000 more.

Yikes.

I am guessing that for my needs I can just put my transmission in sport and bury the accelerator (I do this occasionally, and still get 29mpg). I'll miss those occasional thrills from having a turbo, +$8,000 is a huge premium to upgrade to turbo/AWD (without losing what I currently have), given the other minor upgrades.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Tric: Thanks for that link, it answered a lot of question I had and is very informative. This Coleman guy is very good.

Zeeper + Had4: Me think if you guys decide on the Turbo, you buy the Turbo for it complete package, not just the engine. The way they had done with this car is that it feels very well integrated, very cohesive; everything worked well together, the dynamic of the car in motion is one of a solid platform (w/ an edge!), ready to take on your next journey.

Note: I would recommend getting the real leather interior, it is so well crafted and comfy to sit in. I'd done 7 hour road trips in my 2020 M3 AWD (same interior as the Turbo) and it proved to be exceptionally comfortable, no lower back stiffness at end of trip, that says something about the seats.

Side Note: Now with the Turbo being even quieter, yet more powerful than the NA, it seemed that it will make an even better road trip car than before.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That second rated crap tire (Bridgestone Turanza) on the Turbo is much quieter than the first rate crap tire used in my 2020 AWD (Toyo Proxies), no road rumble, much less tire noise
For what it’s worth, the Bridgestones are not exclusive to the turbo models. They seem to be mixed in with Toyos during production with no obvious pattern. My Japanese made 2020 FWD Preferred sedan has the Bridgestones.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thanks, Avosough. From my dealer on the West coast, all AWD 2020 came with Toyos, and all 2021 Turbos came with BSs. That is the way they were outfitted for Canada. Probably for the US it is different. I believe the BSs are superior tires than the Toyos, and I am not about to switch them to Michelin summer performance tires, which is my preference, since I already have a set of snow tires on rims for my 2020 M3.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's a good observation, I think the whole setup results a in low stressed power train vs most any other car of equal performance. I think that lack of stress could rub off on the driver as well. A relaxed performance car, polar opposite of the old noisy, torque steering, tire smoking Speed 3, which could be bad or good depending on what you are into.
Mazda has jettisoned "ZoomZoom" for "Ah, that's nice."

·
Registered
6 Posts
I find the acceleration of my 2017 3 pretty good. In my teens and 20's, I drove like a bat out of hell, but now having hit 40, I drive like an old man about 95% of the time, and then the other 5%, I drive like a demon. I'm worried about driving the new Turbo though because that rush of torque can be addictive. I recently drove a Tesla Model 3 and the torque in that car was just insane.
Yeah, I love my 2.5 swapped Gen 1 Mazda 3 S GT Hatch with it’s stock pop-up GPS screen and all but a Tesla Model 3 is faster than any car in that class should be. At least if the Tesla had a big ‘ol wing and active aero bits all around, if you didn’t know what it was, at least you might consider getting out of it’s way as you pull out of the McDonald’s parking lot. I mean, who needs a roller coaster as a daily driver?!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mazda has jettisoned "ZoomZoom" for "Ah, that's nice."
No kidding! When every reviewer compares your new offering to the MazdaSpeed3 and are disappointed it’s missing that handling, shouldn’t that tell you something? Hint hint, it may be worth it to offer a performance package with a more aggressive rear spoiler, more aggressive tune by say 30 hp, more aggressive suspension, and a few unique colors only for this package.

·
Registered
349 Posts
No kidding! When every reviewer compares your new offering to the MazdaSpeed3 and are disappointed it’s missing that handling, shouldn’t that tell you something? Hint hint, it may be worth it to offer a performance package with a more aggressive rear spoiler, more aggressive tune by say 30 hp, more aggressive suspension, and a few unique colors only for this package.
That's one prospective no doubt shared by many. However, reviewers are not typical buyers and many would be most happy with a track ready vehicle ( 40k Civic type R) Anyway, most of the reviews I have read have been positive about what a joy it is drive and that the extra power was exactly what was needed.
Mazda is wise to go for the biggest bang for the buck, just restuff it with a more powerfull off the shelf engine. That was the 3's biggest weakness and the one easiest to remedy. Personally, I am glad they did not boy racer it up with excessive silly plastic (Honda again) and a low to the ground , spine compressing ride at a higher price.
If there was money in it, they would have been producing Speed models all along. Bet the old ones were not profitable.

All is not lost. Those who want the raw visceral appeal of the old speed 3 and can do without a lot a refinement, can buy a Veloster N that will smoke the 3t.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am in the older generation and I still prefer and appreciate the naturally aspirated motor that comes from Mazda. Few manufacturers still offer anything fun to drive in a N/A motor. I have never owned a turbo. Never owned a BMW or VW product. Like the turbo, I have fear of long term ownership, as I am still driving the 2006 Mazda3 5 speed sedan I bought new. I have been extremely satisfied and really enjoy driving my 2006 Mazda3 sedan with the manual transmission. It has been practical, low purchase price, and very reliable, just minor maintenance. I would buy another just like it, if I could get the exact same car new today. And it is a 2.0L. It is hard for me to find any make/model car in my area of North Georgia, near Chattanooga, TN. It may be hard to believe, but VW and Honda dealers here don't have a manual on their lots. No Kia or Hyundai manuals. Genesis G70 manual, 100 miles away. BMW 230i sport coupe with manual, must be special ordered. Finally the Mazda dealer got a 3 Hatchback Premium with manual. I drove it last weekend and it was very nice, especially the interior, but any new car will be nice compared to my 06 base model 3 with all hard plastic materials. Any way the point I was intending to make, is that as much as I do like the new 3 hatch driving, I am not thrilled about it's design and rear seat comfort. So I was hoping to be able to compare it to some other make and models. At $29,290 MSRP, and small discounts that Mazda offers, it is close to higher end cars like the BMW or Genesis in purchase price. If the Mazda was closer to $25k, I probably would just buy it because it is nice enough, it does drive very well, it does have enough power with the 2.5L N/A motor, and it would be a good value. I just believe at it's 2021 MSRP to get a manual, it is border line to not being a good value purchase. Not saying the car itself is bad in any way, just comparing pricing to what is available. Whatever I end up buying will be a manual transmission regardless. I am not buying any form of an automatic transmission. I don't care about 0-60mph or if any one else can outrun me. I just want to enjoy driving my car and for me, that requires a manual.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Here is one in Murfreesboro, around 100 miles a way, but it least it gets you away from the nutcase local dealer. 27576. With 750 rebate, 26826. Still a little high in my estimation, but as you say manuals are scarce. It's got the red interior that was a must for me.
Some dealers will match car guru ads run in distant cities. I used it for leverage in getting my 20 hatch price 3k off last Jan.
I would buy later in the new year when incentives and inventories on the 21 model's rise. Early in the model change over is a not a good time for bargains, though late Dec could be.
In my experience, car gurus price analysis tends to favor the dealer and even they give a fair price on this as 26322 or 25572 with loyalty rebate. You can get that, but it may take some patience.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here is one in Murfreesboro, around 100 miles a way, but it least it gets you away from the nutcase local dealer. 27576. With 750 rebate, 26826. Still a little high in my estimation, but as you say manuals are scarce. It's got the red interior that was a must for me.

<><><>
....... Thanks. I have about that same pricing from a couple of dealers near Atlanta. All are about 90-105 miles from me. I am considering to just wait until the end of the year since no dealer has given me a great price at the moment.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I went over to Mazda.USA to do a build and see what the cost would be for a turbo version of the car I am driving now.

My car is a 2019 polymetal gray FWD Auto hatch, Premium trim and it cost me ~27k (including destination).

A 2021 turbo hatch would upgrade that to AWD ($1,000 addition), and the entry level Turbo hatch comes in at ~$32,000 (with the $945 destination charge). However with the upgraded engine/AWD (approx +$4,000) comes a 'leatherette' interior, which is not nearly as nice as the leather seats in my current car.

If you want a 2021 turbo hatch with leather interior, you need to spring for the Premium Plus package, ~$35,000 (with the destination charge), so to have a hatch with leather seats like my car has, adding turbo/AWD, is +$8,000 more.

Yikes.

I am guessing that for my needs I can just put my transmission in sport and bury the accelerator (I do this occasionally, and still get 29mpg). I'll miss those occasional thrills from having a turbo, +$8,000 is a huge premium to upgrade to turbo/AWD (without losing what I currently have), given the other minor upgrades.
8k is pretty steep....definitely not worth it in my opinion considering Mazda is likely to continue to improve the 3. who knows, Mazda may revert back to an independent read suspension, put in a more snappy 8 speed auto, etc. these cars are beginning to improve at a rate much like smart phones.

·
Registered
2019 Mazda3 Sedan Premium AWD (April 2019 Japan build)
237 Posts
... who knows, Mazda may revert back to an independent read suspension, put in a more snappy 8 speed auto, etc. these cars are beginning to improve at a rate much like smart phones.
I doubt they will put in an IRS as they've made it clear that their goal was to minimize cabin noise, which is much easier to do with a torsion beam. Also, with the AWD hardware, I wonder if there is any room to add the IRS hardware.

As far as an 8 speed auto...Mazda seems to have settled on their 6 speed auto across their entire lineup. I'm sure a lot of that decision is based upon relatively limited development dollars and the decision to fine tune one transmission, instead of making two "ok" transmissions....

·
Registered
91 Posts
8k is pretty steep....definitely not worth it in my opinion considering Mazda is likely to continue to improve the 3. who knows, Mazda may revert back to an independent read suspension, put in a more snappy 8 speed auto, etc. these cars are beginning to improve at a rate much like smart phones.
Eh wouldn't hold my breath. Plus my next car will be electric anyways.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts