2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
no turbo timer, you have to get an aftermarket one

Welcome to the site btw!:clap: Do you own or planning on purchasing a mazda 3?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Did you ever put a turbo timer in it yet?

·
Silver Demon
837 Posts
Any DIY how to guides out there for installing a turbo timer?

·
zoom zoom
52 Posts
there are a few of them for the DIYs you just need to search some forums. i have the PBS (push button start) so i'm sure how to install the TT on the car since there are no ignition wires in the steering column now.

Ed

·
Silver Demon
837 Posts
That's my problem too......I'm gonna ask people at my local Mazda club

·
Registered
43 Posts
You can install the timer, but the problem is that this car is interlocked so that you cannot lock the door while the car is running. Kind of defeats the purpose of a turbo timer if you can't walk away.

Someone needs to design a wiring mod to bypass this feature...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is that a problem with the non push button start model too? Any links to the diys?

·
Registered
43 Posts
You can install the timer, but the problem is that this car is interlocked so that you cannot lock the door while the car is running. Kind of defeats the purpose of a turbo timer if you can't walk away.

Someone needs to design a wiring mod to bypass this feature...
I might be eating my words. I have spoken with several local shops and turbo timer sellers and they say the push button start will make no difference in turbo timer operation. I am going down to a local shop to buy my timer this afternoon and will be working on installing it today or tomrorrow. I will let you all know how it goes and take some pics so if it works out, I can write up a "how to"

Wish me luck

·
Registered
164 Posts
I might be eating my words. I have spoken with several local shops and turbo timer sellers and they say the push button start will make no difference in turbo timer operation. I am going down to a local shop to buy my timer this afternoon and will be working on installing it today or tomrorrow. I will let you all know how it goes and take some pics so if it works out, I can write up a "how to"

Wish me luck
good luck - let us know

makes sense to me - there should still be ignition wires in the steering column - there is a regular key ignition there, behind the plastic cap - would this not work the same as in any regular car?

·
Registered
43 Posts
good luck - let us know

makes sense to me - there should still be ignition wires in the steering column - there is a regular key ignition there, behind the plastic cap - would this not work the same as in any regular car?
The ignition wires go up to the push button switch, not the steering column. You are correct that there is still a slot for the physical key, but it is not a cylinder, only a port for the key to enable you to push button start the car.

I have started looking at this and the ignition switch wires are easily accessible, but you can't get any slack in the harness to pull the wiring apart to meter the wires. The push button needs to be removed and harness unplugged, but this poses another problem for me because it looks like you have to remove the entire center console paneling to get the trim that mounts the switch off. I hate working in the interior of a car, much less a brand new one because I always damage the plastic in there when I dig in this deep and I have very little patience. I am still investigating a work around to get better access to the harness and complete the wiring, but keep in mind that I have no idea if the door locks will work after the work is done. I just figured it was only $100 to buy the timer and give it a shot before I dig into a lot of wiring diagram investigation to understand how the door locks tie into the ignition system.

I will probably have an update tomorrow morning as my patience has grown quite thin already...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello all,

I just spent a couple hours probing wires underneath the dash and I can't figure this car out... It must be the whole push button start/RFID remote deal but the logic is not there for me. Probing all 7 wires off the push button switch, I expected to find constant 12V, ACC, Switched Ign, and maybe even multiples of each but I did not. I found 2 12V constants, no acc, and no switched ignition. I did however find wires, that when grounded switched the car from acc to ign and from ign to off. This makes some sense since it is not a typical postitional switch, but a pushed button that performs multiple functions. I think this probing needs to be done with multiple people to hold the button down while probing?

I think I have reached the end of my investigation and will either wait for someone with more electrical/logic skills than me or a harnessed solution. I have a feeling that a typical wired turbo timer might not work in this situation, but I could be wrong.

For now, I will just have to be patient and sit in the car while the turbo cools for a minute or so.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm looking for the solution too. So far I'll make it more difficult, at least in European version.

When the engine is running you can not close the door locks from outside which means you have to wait close to the car by default. Turbo timer for button version must handle this as well.

What do you think?

·
Registered
41 Posts
lmao @ all the noobs that have turbo timers... These cars have liquid cooled turbos and you do not need a turbo timer. Even if you run your car hard, just idle, coast, don't boost when you are almost to your destination and you will be fine... Don't waste the money!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Turbo timer for mazdaspeed3 2010 with push button start HELP

Hi every one i own a mazdaspeed3 with a push button start and would like to install TT but every one is telling me that is impossible:argh 1: because of the push button star, did some one installed it can you help me any diagram ? (THX)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts