2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone even considered trying to turbo this car at all? Or done any work towards that end? Or any proformance upgrades. One I was considering was modify the hood to have a scoop in front of the factory intake to force air into the box directly?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Has anyone even considered trying to turbo this car at all? Or done any work towards that end? Or any proformance upgrades. One I was considering was modify the hood to have a scoop in front of the factory intake to force air into the box directly?

@OrangeVirus1 has his turbo'd

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
what year is your car? what engine? auto? manual? I got all the info you need :)

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
how about your setup? :)

power output, etc. Do you got a build thread?
I do have a build thread, but I haven't updated it in the longest.

well my setup is a bit more involved than a normal turbo setup. I've got a built engine, big turbo, custom T4 twin scroll manifold I made, custom downpipe, a bunch of custom stuff I designed.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I do have a build thread, but I haven't updated it in the longest.

well my setup is a bit more involved than a normal turbo setup. I've got a built engine, big turbo, custom T4 twin scroll manifold I made, custom downpipe, a bunch of custom stuff I designed.
What numbers are you getting? It is a 14 Mazda 3 right? Or something else?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So what about a good scoop right at the air intake? Anyone think that could help at all? I have no desire to go away from the stock air system yet except a new drop drop in filter. Would this work to push air in? Even a little gain would be worth while

·
Registered
975 Posts
Not sure why someone brought him into this...

No skyactiv motor has been turbocharged. There is still no word if anyone is even working on one to know if it's even possible.

It is insanely uncommon/ rare to hear about such high compression motors running any sort of forced induction, so do not expect anything [ever] to be produced because it's far from safe (for the engine).

As a simple reference, in the turbo community, it's sometimes common to actually go lower compression pistons to add more boost.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not sure why someone brought him into this...

No skyactiv motor has been turbocharged. There is still no word if anyone is even working on one to know if it's even possible.

It is insanely uncommon/ rare to hear about such high compression motors running any sort of forced induction, so do not expect anything [ever] to be produced because it's far from safe (for the engine).

As a simple reference, in the turbo community, it's sometimes common to actually go lower compression pistons to add more boost.
Er,
I see your point, and we could very well find that these new Skyactiv motors will blow Skyhi or melt the pistons, etc. if you try to boost ‘em.
But on the other hand….
Never say never, man. Just because it has not been done yet does not necessarily mean it’s not possible. Yes, it is true that boosting engines with high compression is not as desirable, and lowering compression is often done in order to safely run higher boost. But also what is even considered as “high compression” has changed over the years with advancement in technology. I remember years back when I owned a ’98 TA, when those first came out, folks thought they probably could not be boosted because of the “high compression ratio” (it was 10.1:1). I can’t even count how many turbo kits are now made for the LS1 engine!
It’s all about technology and design. Back in the late 60’s you had all these big-displacement v8’s running upwards of 12:1 CR or more, then all of a sudden in the early 70’s stricter emissions and the discontinuance of leaded gas threw US automakers for a loop. Horsepower dropped big time, as the only thing they knew of to do to make engines run on the UL gas with the current engine designs was to lower compression –way down, to like 8.5:1.
But, as engine designs improved over the years here we are right back up there running even higher CR than back then! A few years ago we would not have thought that producing a factory engine that runs on 87 octane unleaded gas with a 13:1 compression ratio would have been possible. But yet, with advancement in engine technology including direct-injection here we are!
And since the new Skyactiv engines have been designed to safely run low octane gas with such high compression, it stands to reason for me that due to this direct-injection technology suddenly 13:1 might be the new norm for compression- what’s “high compression” in a production car has been redfined and thus, what can safely be boosted may have been redefined as well!

My point is, since these new engines can have a CR so high and run regular low-oct gas, then hopefully there is room to increase output when using 93 oct. fuel. Probably at least a mild-boost turbo application running maybe 3 to 5 PSI could be done if the stock pistons and heads can handle the heat/pressure. That remains to be seen, of course.
Heck, even if turbo-ing these engines proves impossible, at the very least we should be able to get more HP out of ‘em by tuning them with increased ignition timing advance to run on 93 oct gas, and that would give a nice little increase.
Never say never!

·
ch ch ch chia
504 Posts
What is the point of buying such a fuel efficient little car, and then throwing that out the window by installing a turbo + 93 octane. Handling and appearance mods are understandable, but let's get real here.:confused1 1:

·
Registered
371 Posts
What is the point of buying such a fuel efficient little car, and then throwing that out the window by installing a turbo + 93 octane. Handling and appearance mods are understandable, but let's get real here.:confused1 1:
bcuz yolo.

jk

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
@AD13 The history of many of the young modders here is that Mazda's have a history of young guys turning their cars into ricers with evil-M's, lowering, SRI's, modified much louder exhausts, debadging, large mud flaps, black wheels, etc. But with the gen 3 cars, Mazda changed their strategy to make the Mazda 3 more upscale and sophisticated to appeal to a broader audience. Mazda had to do that because they were not making a whole lot of money with these young modders. They didn't even produce a new Mazdaspeed 3. The new 3 does not look as good with their mods and Mazda's emphasis changed from racing to a more balanced performance plus mpg.

So the kids still want to hold on to their old Mazda concept while the company moves on to more profitable territory. The new 3 doesn't look very good with these mods and is tuned extremely well so things like SRI's, exhaust systems, etc., make very little difference. If you listen to their posts, they still believe this is just like previous generations, but it isn't. That's why you see it capture so many awards the previous models didn't get.

So for most of us, you are precisely right. But the young guys here see what they want to see even if it doesn't make any sense. So where your logic fails is that you assume there is a strong rationale behind wanting things like a turbo on the car. There isn't. People want what they want whether it makes sense or not. That's why you got a response of "bcuz yolo".

·
ch ch ch chia
504 Posts
@AD13 The history of many of the young modders here is that Mazda's have a history of young guys turning their cars into ricers with evil-M's, lowering, SRI's, modified much louder exhausts, debadging, large mud flaps, black wheels, etc.
I actually like all these thing you mentioned, besides the loud exhausts, which by the way are not as loud as you think (HKS fartcans).

Mazda seems to be in a middle ground between a fun to drive half sporty car, and an econobox. They aren't torsion beam hondas, but they aren't porsches either. The way this car drives, makes people want more power, which is why the speed3 is so great. These things you listed don't make a car rice, its just pride in ownership. People like their cars to be different.

No offence, but once a company appeals to older buyers like yourself, they don't end up doing so well. Cadillac, Buick, and Jaguar are prime examples who are trying to reach out to a much younger segment of the market. The new mazda is damn classy, but its still a small, fun to drive mazda.

Oh, and I personally feel a third gen speed 3 would be great. Maybe when I finish school, I'll buy one :smartass:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts