2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
933 Posts
Question, what if it’s on a manual transmission. Would it be any easier. Sorry I’m kinda new here
Easier how?
The only issue ive seen with transmission and turbo is that the automatic difficulty in handling the extra HP.
As Orange Virus mentions ... oem internals can handle increased HP up to a certain point , but to make alot HP from the turbo best to lower compression ratio , below 10:1
and forged internals. If you are going that route on a 2.0L , 300whp , will cost you $7000 + just parts , plus you need a proper tune or stand alone ecu like Haltech or Motec ($2000 more here and tuning time) .
DrTuned only one i know who can walk you thru turboing a 2.0L . Check out their page and download their turboing tips :DRTuned Racing

·
Registered
933 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
there is many reason's why turboing the 2.0 would be even more difficult then the 2.3/2.5. FIRST, ( my guess not actual fact ) the auto tranny will probably not be able to hold down more then 200whp without issues. Second the compression ratio of the 2.0 is 10:1 i believe, making boosting without detonation even harder. now it isn't impossible and because the stroke of the 2.0 is so minimal there will be less rod stress, but that compression ratio is high.

the + side to this is there is forged rods/pistons available for the 2.0.
I would say the only way I personally would do it is 6 speed swap + forged low comp pistons. ( I've heard stock rods can hold like 250whp??? )
I know one guy that turbo the mazda 3 with stock internals but I don’t know how reliable that be

·
Registered
933 Posts
I know one guy that turbo the mazda 3 with stock internals but I don’t know how reliable that be
The 2.0L is ideal for high rpm and thats the direction i went. If you do go the turbo route upgrade the rods.
Its not something i would try with automatic transmission.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts