2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,839 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
@m35spd did you figure out what kind of car/engine you have yet?
I know I have the 3i but I'm not sure if it's the 2.0 or the 2.3. My guess would be 2.0.

I was really asking to try and get a discussion going about it and what it would take not because I'm anywhere near able to do what would need to be done but because I was curious. But obviously that didn't work.

And yes....a turbo 3 sedan would be bad ass. Im not a fan of hatchbacks. I don't hate them with a passion but I'm not sure I'd want to ever drive one either. Some are ok and some I really do hate though. But a turbo 3 sedan would be rare and bad ass. Total sleeper haha. My buddy just got the turbo Dodge Dart and I havent checked it out yet but he said it's pretty peppy. It has a good amount more HP than the 2.0 and not much less than the 2.5

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
I know I have the 3i but I'm not sure if it's the 2.0 or the 2.3. My guess would be 2.0.

I was really asking to try and get a discussion going about it and what it would take not because I'm anywhere near able to do what would need to be done but because I was curious. But obviously that didn't work.
Yes you have a damn 2.0 the 2.3's only came in 1st gen 3's but higher end models and speeds.

Reactions: swerv0428

·
Registered
402 Posts
And yes....a turbo 3 sedan would be bad ass. Im not a fan of hatchbacks. I don't hate them with a passion but I'm not sure I'd want to ever drive one either. Some are ok and some I really do hate though. But a turbo 3 sedan would be rare and bad ass. Total sleeper haha. My buddy just got the turbo Dodge Dart and I havent checked it out yet but he said it's pretty peppy. It has a good amount more HP than the 2.0 and not much less than the 2.5
I drove the Dart. It was too.... civilized.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Dart is absolutely the most retarded car and to top that why did they make it a rally car??? It must be torched with fire!

·
Registered
1 Posts
ynot turbo da 2.0?

The price i paid for my 2011 2.0 sedan definitely warrants a look at a turbo, Besides that built is always better than bought. By my calculations the conversion could be done correctly for around $5000 (parts only including wheels/tires). Additionally, the 2.0 mzr is a legendary racing engine (Ginetta G40... etc). Whereas the 2.3/2.5 are not. While there are many variants of the 2.0, parts compatibility is there and nothing a reflash couldn't fix.

And who thinks the 2.0 rods are not forged? Dumb dumby dumb dumb. Do your research. Most rods are forged these days. Most cars also have fuel injection and AC too. Can you believe it?

The major problem with the op's idea is that turbocharging a Mazda3 2.0/2.3/2.5 automatic is that it requires a complete transmission swap. The manuals would only require a performance clutch swap. Though a 6 speed would be nice in my 2.0 :laugh2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys I currently have a turboed 07 Mazda 3 2.0l I sis the entire kit under a grand. I'm only looking for about 230wheel. But I'm now trying to tune it. I'm at 2 psi to be safe but all I hear is full standalone. And on top of that the only one I know that does drive by wire is Haltech. Do any of you know a tuning system that works? I here Cobb flashes get overwritten after a day or so. I need to call haltech and see if they support the half ass direct injection these cars have.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased the 2.0 5 speed manual sedan and am planning on transforming it into a street car. Etc etc now my question is do any of the “turbo kits” you find online any use or should I get everything I need separately? I’ve already prepared the engine for the boost except for inter cooler and I want to clean the engine first. Will the kit have all the piping and hardware and will I have to replace the turbo that comes with the set in a few months?

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
3,027 Posts
The turbo kits that are online are available for the Mazdaspeed 3...there is no turbo kit available for your car.
CK

·
Super Moderator
6,870 Posts
The turbo kits that are online are available for the Mazdaspeed 3...there is no turbo kit available for your car.
CK
For the current SkyActiv no, for the older MZR engines lots of performance parts are available. Some are good, some are cheap ebay-type import crap. Do a lot of research before you buy. Research not as in asking opinions on a car forum, but as in finding who makes the parts, how reliable they are, how difficult it will be to install and set up to run properly, etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
there is many reason's why turboing the 2.0 would be even more difficult then the 2.3/2.5. FIRST, ( my guess not actual fact ) the auto tranny will probably not be able to hold down more then 200whp without issues. Second the compression ratio of the 2.0 is 10:1 i believe, making boosting without detonation even harder. now it isn't impossible and because the stroke of the 2.0 is so minimal there will be less rod stress, but that compression ratio is high.

the + side to this is there is forged rods/pistons available for the 2.0.
I would say the only way I personally would do it is 6 speed swap + forged low comp pistons. ( I've heard stock rods can hold like 250whp??? )
Question, what if it’s on a manual transmission. Would it be any easier. Sorry I’m kinda new here

21 - 40 of 44 Posts