2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was joking around with my friend about wanting to turbo my car, to push the 144bhp up. He knows quite a bit about cars, and I'm starting to learn myself.
I have a 2012 Mazda3 i with a 2L skyactiv engine. 6-speed automatic transmission. Honestly, I don't have much money, and I probably won't keep this car for an extremely long time. My question is, can this engine and body handle 5-7lbs of boost? What sort of hp gains would I see from getting an eBay turbo and assembling my own kit, and getting a tune afterward? I'm not looking to blow 9k in forged internals for more boost, I just want something $600-700 total that I can piece together. I've looked around in multiple forums and haven't seen anyone really boost the mazda3, most just get the speed. I have access to a welding machine, I just need to know where to start on building the eBay turbo car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would be a bit worried about turboing that car. Its using really high compression ratio and detonation could be an issue. Check on the internet if someone has done it or if there's a kit specific to the skyactiv-g 2.0. Dont take those for mzr, it might not fit or even blow the engine faster. Its maybe possible and I think it can be pushed a little bit, but not a lot of people has done it. Be careful.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Don't waste your time, especially if you are not keeping the car. The SA motor is notoriously hard to tune for FI. Major aftermarket suppliers have been trying to make a working turbo kit for the Mazda 3 for some time now, so far there has been nothing. They have deep pockets and engineers, you have no money and no experience with building or tuning engines. The SA motor has little to nothing in common with the MZR engine. You'll need to fabricate lots of stuff to make it work. If you want a car with more power, get one that has more power.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts