2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Too Many Projects!
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking through some rather old threads involving tuning and doing some review checking and researching on a few different tuning companies. I'm not looking to start any sort of drama on this thread, nor am I looking to have people fighting over opinions.

I just want to know who's going to be my best bet for tuning on my 2017 MZ3 2.0 Auto. I've seen multiple mixed reviews on OVtuning and Dynotronics, so I'm looking into my alternate options. I know VersaTune is working with Corksport on a turbo kit but I haven't seen anything relating to tunes exclusively to my vehicle on their website (only the 2016+ Miata). What are my options as it sits? I've also been informed that Cobb doesn't make an AccessPort for the NA Mazda3 so that also seems to hinder my ability to get a custom tune from some speed shop around here.

:(

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've been looking through some rather old threads involving tuning and doing some review checking and researching on a few different tuning companies. I'm not looking to start any sort of drama on this thread, nor am I looking to have people fighting over opinions.

I just want to know who's going to be my best bet for tuning on my 2017 MZ3 2.0 Auto. I've seen multiple mixed reviews on OVtuning and Dynotronics, so I'm looking into my alternate options. I know VersaTune is working with Corksport on a turbo kit but I haven't seen anything relating to tunes exclusively to my vehicle on their website (only the 2016+ Miata). What are my options as it sits? I've also been informed that Cobb doesn't make an AccessPort for the NA Mazda3 so that also seems to hinder my ability to get a custom tune from some speed shop around here.

:(

So far, OVT and DRTuned and the aforementioned are your options. I’m biased with a stellar OVT tune (93 octane, exhaust, intake-OVT header to come, cams hopefully in spring). Needless to say, I started with suspension mods (Progress RSB, Moog rear endlinks, Racing Beat springs, and an Ultra Racing STB “that doesn’t do much...” and a hardrace RMM) that have really allowed for a thoroughly enjoyable, yet refined driving experience. After the tune, it feels like a different car-mainly throttle response in low, mid and high rpm rpm ranges (I.e. real world torque utility in the city, actual passing ability in 6th gear on the highway-something that almost always required downshifting before), and little to no positive change in mpg. It took 3 or 4 tune iterations and although not dyno’d yet, real-world applications see improvement. I took a hit in mpg when I switched to 19 inch wheels, but have since reverted to stock and regained lost mpg. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: zs_3

·
Too Many Projects!
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far, OVT and DRTuned and the aforementioned are your options.
Never heard of DRtuned so I'm definitely going to look into them. I'm not totally turned away from OVT as far as getting a tune goes, I'd just like to explore my other options as well which I know is limited on the 2014+ SkyActiv platform.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've talked with DRTuned many times, and seen some really good results that some friend's have had with them. Can't quite afford to pull the trigger on the tuning kit yet, but I will be going with DRTuned for sure!!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Going with DRtune seems like a bit of a gamble at this point in time. They've never posted dyno tuned results on the 2.0l here or on Facebook groups. For the 2.5l, they posted a dyno of a half completed tune which had no low end gains. Perhaps they will be a safe bet in the future when they've done proper dyno testing on the 3rd Gen. Don't expect to get outstanding results from a tuner if they are basing the settings on your street logs only. Proper calibration of eg. VVT timing requires dozens of dyno wot runs. The street logs just make sure the established settings are dialed in safely and correctly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts