2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been using this cite for quite some time and figured it was time to post something. I have a 2.0 2016 Mazda 3 and she needs some more power, although I know these cars aren't technically made for it even though they are some of the faster hatchbacks of their class. I reduced weight on it, straight piped it from the catalytic converter (resonator and muffler delete and IT SOUNDS MEAN), cold air intake, new spark plugs, and wrapped the whole exhaust, while adding a stupid chip tuner that idk if it even works.

Im looking at either ovt or DrTuned.

Let me know what y'all think!

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I've been using this cite for quite some time and figured it was time to post something. I have a 2.0 2016 Mazda 3 and she needs some more power, although I know these acts aren't technically made for it even though they are some of the faster hatchbacks of their class. Right now I'm pushing a 6.4 0-60 which is damn good for this little car. I reduced weight on it, straight piped it from the catalytic converter (resonator and muffler delete and IT SOUNDS MEAN), cold air intake, new spark plugs, and wrapped the whole exhaust, while adding a stupid chip tuner that idk if it even works.

Anyways, time to upgrade to a new tuner which I can't wait for, but I need recommendations. I have heard OVT and DRTuned are some of the best, but I have also been looking at pedal commander which has amazing reviews. One last one is here on the link: Stage 4 Performance Chip Module OBD2 +LCD Monitor for Mazda

I wanted everyones opinions on which is the best tuning, while I'm leaning towards the opera commander because I can switch the modes whenever I want without having to go through a company along with the stage 4 mod (link up above) because it is the same thing.

Let me know what y'all think!
Just OVT it.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,244 Posts
Those "chip tuners" do nothing, zero. zip. Tuning the Skyactiv motor requires reflashing the ECU, not plugging in some magic box.
The Pedal Commander is a waste of money. All it does is alter the pedal position signal and open the throttle quicker, making it seem like the car has more power . You can accomplish the same thing just by pushing the pedal down further....
I call BS on the 0-60 in 6.4 with what is basically a stock 2.0L motor. That would mean the hp is at least 200 at the crank, a 40+ hp gain. With a ricer straight pipe, new plugs and some sort of intake, not possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those "chip tuners" do nothing, zero. zip. Tuning the Skyactiv motor requires reflashing the ECU, not plugging in some magic box.
The Pedal Commander is a waste of money. All it does is alter the pedal position signal and open the throttle quicker, making it seem like the car has more power . You can accomplish the same thing just by pushing the pedal down further....
I call BS on the 0-60 in 6.4 with what is basically a stock 2.0L motor. That would mean the hp is at least 200 at the crank, a 40+ hp gain. With a ricer straight pipe, new plugs and some sort of intake, not possible.

This is when I reduced a lot of weight. Stock the Mazda 3 does 7.5 so thought I would see what I could do and have some fun.

I stripped out the back seats, took out the extra wheel, and pretty much anything that wasn’t needed I took out. Even metal pieces on the bottom of the car I didn’t need. I took her down to the track and when they told me that time I didn’t believe it either. I ain’t bs-ing you on this one, I didn’t think i would get that out of it. Although, they could be wrong.

I have thicker tires and lighter wheels on it, injen cold air intake, strut bar, sport sparks, free flowing exhaust (3 inch straight pipe with dampening system).

but now having everything back in it’s like 7 or such, I can’t time it well on my own.

It actually doesn’t sound like a ricer with the resonator and muffler delete, which I thought it would. It has a lower tone to it and isn’t super loud because they put some type of dampening pipe in it. No Honda Civic today.

You can think what ya want mate but I wouldn’t bullshit anything on here just to seem cool. I just want honest opinions and I’ll give you what I get out of my car because we are all Mazda enthusiasts here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the OVT on my 2.0l, i enjoy it. In terms of "bang for the buck" it's the best thing you can do to make it a little more fun. Is it going to win you drag races? No, but will it be more fun on the commute or on the mountain roads, sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you! I know the Mazda 3 isn't the fastest but it is a pretty quick car and as long as you can beat your friends that is all that matters.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the OVT on my 2.0l, i enjoy it. In terms of "bang for the buck" it's the best thing you can do to make it a little more fun. Is it going to win you drag races? No, but will it be more fun on the commute or on the mountain roads, sure.
Would OVT work on a 2013 skyactiv?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes, it should. Any skyactiv model I think works with the OVT, you'll talk to Rafael when you email them, their email in on their website at OVtune.com.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I just installed the pedal Command and have been driving around for a week and I love it. it does exactly to solve the throttle lag issue with my 2.5 AT. I can feather the pedal in slow traffic and accelerate quickly but linearly when road opens up. Without it, when accelerating from crusing speed the engine pauses for a long time and lurch forward if you are impatient and press hard on the pedal. On highway going on an incline there is a little delay but I think because I have it at City 0 mode which I think is all I ever need. I don’t really care about 0-60 improvement, just better driveability and the PC does it well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts