2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my preorder update on the JB4, shipping early August. Thanks to the beta testers, let's get some power!

·
Registered
M3TH (Mazda 3 Turbo Hatchback 2021) Polymetal Grey PP
233 Posts
Is that just a plug and play and how difficult is it to set up?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[/QUOTE]
Is that just a plug and play and how difficult is it to set up?
Plug and play, I believe between your MAP and MAF sensors, so no flashing. You can get an app for your phone and a laptop to obd2 I think, I just got the basic setup.

·
Registered
M3TH (Mazda 3 Turbo Hatchback 2021) Polymetal Grey PP
233 Posts
You got to make video on how to set this up.

Reactions: scmazda3

·
Registered
2021Mazda 3 Turbo. CorkSport cat back exhaust. Autoexe bracing. VS Forged VSO2 wheels
24 Posts

Got my order in too. No 93 octane here but they said 91 is ok. Also said they can really wake it up with e85. I'm stoked! I bought the app & the wireless connection option, now just counting minutes until August!

·
Registered
2021 Mazda3 Turbo HB in White, 2021 Mazda3 Turbo HB in Black, 2007 RX-8 Sport
42 Posts
Plug and play, I believe between your MAP and MAF sensors, so no flashing. You can get an app for your phone and a laptop to obd2 I think, I just got the basic setup.
MAP and TMAP.

·
Registered
969 Posts
How much heat does this type of tuning generally add to an engine bay? The Turbo runs so dang hot already...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey gang I have been beta-testing this on my M3T, and still have a grin on my face.
As for excessive engine heat - this should not make much difference when you drive normally (unless of course you are pushing it hard and spooling the turbo up more frequently)

Craig

·
Registered
969 Posts
Hey gang I have been beta-testing this on my M3T, and still have a grin on my face.
As for excessive engine heat - this should not make much difference when you drive normally (unless of course you are pushing it hard and spooling the turbo up more frequently)

Craig
Kind of what I meant. Like max temp after some spirited driving for a specified period of time, both with and without. I'd be curious if it's a negligible versus significant temperature difference.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Spirited driving has the Turbo spinning with or without the JB4 tune.
Perhaps the question should be more specific, such as;

"When a turbo is spooled up - does it run significantly hotter when running several PSI of additional boost?"

Speaking for myself - I have no idea, but it sure is more fun :)

·
Registered
‘21 Mazda 3 2.5 Turbo Hatchback
18 Posts
@cuzed any more info on performance increases with the JB4? There Hasn’t been much public feedback on the beta kit. A review would be so much appreciated!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Spirited driving has the Turbo spinning with or without the JB4 tune.
Perhaps the question should be more specific, such as;

"When a turbo is spooled up - does it run significantly hotter when running several PSI of additional boost?"
Yes, that's more or less what I'm interested in. With the turbo being a recent configuration, and its higher operating temp, I'm curious if it gets much higher than 205-210F sitting in traffic, hot day, spirited driving for 30 minutes or so. Does it max out closer to 210, or 225-235 with the tune? I'll try to get some baseline readings on my non-tuned turbo.

At least on my 2013 Mazda 3, using UltraGuage

• Blue light goes off at 55 C ( 131 F )
  • When fully warmed up, and cruising on a cool highway: 82 - 83 C ( 179.6 - 181.4 F)
  • During hot summer stop and go city driving with A/C on: hovered upto 96 C ( 204.8 F) before coming down.
  • When driving up a mountain road in 2nd gear with A/C on : I pushed the temp up to 99 C (210.2 F) before cooling it down.

Overheat is at 116 C ( 241 F )
This is from someone with CX-30 Turbo:

"I have an Ultra Gauge hooked up that gives me a digital coolant temp readout.
It goes as high as 207 F but mostly stays in the 198-202 range.
When it is cool out and not running hard, it stays around 194 F.
I know our turbo is cooled by water so think that may contribute to the higher readings.
It gets up to the 207 on the interstate and cools into the 190's once I exit."

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have in the past (with better numbers). But not for these runs; as I did not want to introduce any possible driver variables. Also forgot to mention I am running 93 octane.

All runs were done in sport mode, traction control on, stabbed from idle (no brake torque/brake boost), and I let the automatic shift for itself (appeared top be ~5300rpm)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have in the past (with better numbers). But not for these runs; as I did not want to introduce any possible driver variables. Also forgot to mention I am running 93 octane.

All runs were done in sport mode, traction control on, stabbed from idle (no brake torque/brake boost), and I let the automatic shift for itself (appeared top be ~5300rpm)
That’s exactly what I intend to do when I finally get it (except TC off). I’m not patient enough to be waiting for the JB4 to ship and the intake/exhaust to be released 😂

1 - 20 of 41 Posts