2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my fic should be here in a few days, once i get the pinout i want to start tuning right away.

Anyway..im having a hard time deciding on what to tune it with

Tuning on E85 should* be easier? Cuz the injector size..my pulse widths will be easier to idle out and cruise.
But, ive never tuned E85 before.

im also not sure on the 91...for some reason i just dont trust it lol. I know knock will make my engine go " frag out".. im not sure how well the 91 will hold with 9.7:1 cr and 5-6psi boost

From what ive been told, the 2.3 does fine eith 7-8psi on 93 with stock timing
so im sure for my power levels timing wont really need t be effected.

But how E85 handles stock timing i dunno.

E85 overall is better, and cools cylinder, knock is pretty much non existant etc

BUT i dont know what afrs to target
obviously 14.5-7 or even 15.0 on cruise / idle
While going into boost / -2 vac mayne drop afrs to ...12.0
and while building boost 11.5?
And while on boost 5-7psi maybe 11.2/11.0?
Im sure i dont need to drop to 10s afr for this..cuz evos on 25+ psi dont drop under 11.0 with E85..from what ive read.

Dynotronics care to share?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
He'll get chewed

as for AFR's.... target 11.5, e85 tends to lean out your afr. i would suggest try tuning first w/ 30% mix of e85/91

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, well thats what I will do, target 11.5 throughout boost and transition into boost.
I will try some mixes later.

·
USMC
176 Posts
I've read that you should be lubricating your E85, cause it can cause fuel pumps to seize. (if you're running 100% E85)
I'm going to look more into that when I do my E85 tune.

·
Engineer / Scientist
183 Posts
I tune on e85 all day and it must be done on a dyno. You can easily surpass mbt and bend a rod to the shape of a banana or just push your parts around. A good wideband is a must. You also can have problems with your fuel system seals, and alcohol attracts water. I have 4 roms with different maps that I flash often. 93, racegas, e85, and straight meth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts