2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looks like this is the first actual TSB on the Skyactiv drivetrain.

When I took my car in for a minor service, the service adviser alerted me to a bulletin that was issued on the Skyactiv Mazda3. (He termed it a recall, but my subsequent lookups indicate that it's a TSB) The issue has to do with the high pressure fuel pump and winter fuel blends. Basically, if the car idles for 20 minutes or more, it could heat up the fuel pump enough to cause stalling or light up the check engine indicator.

According to the service adviser, this affects Skyactiv engines made between November 2011 and March 2012. The first step is an inspection. The second step involves reflashing the ECU. For whatever reason, the NHTSA listed this TSB under the 2013 models, but those dates of manufacture would seem to affect more of the 2012 models.

Service Bulletin No.: SB-01-024-12
Component(s): FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
NHTSA ID Number: 10048339
Manufacturer: MAZDA MOTOR CORP
SUMMARY:
MAZDA: FUEL INSIDE HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP MAY BE RAISED TO HIGHER TEMPERATURE THAN USUAL, IF STOPPED OR IDLING 20 OR MORE MINUTES DUE TO USING HIGH EVAPORATIVE WINTER FUEL. MODEL 2012 MAZDA3. *PE UPDATED 12/18/12. *PE UPDATED 2/4/13. *PE
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchVehicles

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Looks like this is the first actual TSB on the Skyactiv drivetrain.

When I took my car in for a minor service, the service adviser alerted me to a bulletin that was issued on the Skyactiv Mazda3. (He termed it a recall, but my subsequent lookups indicate that it's a TSB) The issue has to do with the high pressure fuel pump and winter fuel blends. Basically, if the car idles for 20 minutes or more, it could heat up the fuel pump enough to cause stalling or light up the check engine indicator.

According to the service adviser, this affects Skyactiv engines made between November 2011 and March 2012. The first step is an inspection. The second step involves reflashing the ECU. For whatever reason, the NHTSA listed this TSB under the 2013 models, but those dates of manufacture would seem to affect more of the 2012 models.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchVehicles
Interesting. Could this also be affecting gas mileage? I do a lot of city driving and stop frequently at red lights.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. Could this also be affecting gas mileage? I do a lot of city driving and stop frequently at red lights.
I would guess not. The service adviser that I talked to indicated that this seemed like an unusual circumstance where the fuel pump heats up during abnormally long idles, and in combination with highly evaporative winter gas will stall the engine or trigger the check engine light. The fix for this issue seemed to be a new ECU profile.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's kind of odd, the new 2.5 Skyactiv motor had a similar TSB, but for the opposite. My check engine light was being thrown for the car not being warm enough, and Mazda's temporary solution was to let the car warm up longer and a substantial gift card (bribe) for the inconvenience until they came up with the ECU flash to fix it. Similar issue, same solution.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's kind of odd, the new 2.5 Skyactiv motor had a similar TSB, but for the opposite. My check engine light was being thrown for the car not being warm enough, and Mazda's temporary solution was to let the car warm up longer and a substantial gift card (bribe) for the inconvenience until they came up with the ECU flash to fix it. Similar issue, same solution.
I know that the Skyactiv engines employ delayed ignition and short combustion during cold starts to get the exhaust gases hot as quickly as possible. With my Skyactiv 3, the engine does this for over a minute before it goes to more of a normal combustion profile. From what you're describing, it just seems that the ECU on the 2.5L Skyactiv is going to that more normal profile before the exhaust gases are hot enough, and that's triggering one of the exhaust sensors.

Since the TSB on the 2.0L Skyactiv 3 is more about an actual stalling problem that can occur with a combination of winter fuel and a hot idling engine, it does seem like the opposite problem.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Interesting. I went in to get my oil changed about 4 months ago and service adviser said there was a recall on my car that had something to do with the car stalling after long idles. All they did was reprogram my ECU. seems that was the same TSB/Recall that is mentioned in this thread.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I was just in for my first oil change about a week and a half ago and there was no mention on a recall or TSB

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
vkamnyev said:
Interesting. I went in to get my oil changed about 4 months ago and service adviser said there was a recall on my car that had something to do with the car stalling after long idles. All they did was reprogram my ECU. seems that was the same TSB/Recall that is mentioned in this thread.
Seems that the TSB coincided with the transition to winter fuels, as it was originally issued in early November. Even though I would guess that summer idling can heat up the fuel pump every bit as much, the winter fuel is what actually causes the potential engine stalling if the fuel pump gets too hot.

I was just in for my first oil change about a week and a half ago and there was no mention on a recall or TSB
Since this is your first oil change, your engine was probably made after March 2012, so it would not apply to your car. According to the service adviser I talked to, this TSB only affects the 2.0L Skyactiv engines made between November 2011 and March 2012.

The model year for the TSB on the NHTSA website is wrong -- it should be 2012, not 2013. My Mazda dealer had the info correct on its system, and they alerted me to the TSB (they referred to it as a recall) when I took my car in for a minor service. If your car was actually made before March 2012, you might want to have your dealer recheck the TSB, since the NHTSA's database does not report the correct model year while the TSB itself clearly indicates that the issue affects 2012 models.

I didn't have the work done during my last service, since the winter fuels causing this issue are now transitioning out. I figure I'll have the prescribed ECU programming done when I have the major interval service (and find out if anyone has observed any changes to their performance and/or fuel economy after having the ECU reprogrammed).

·
Mazda Maniac
15 Posts
Its a TSB people, not a recall If your not having the problem outlined in the TSB just keep calm and carry on :) :Racing 1:

Or if your paranoid, ask them to reprogram your PCM, simple and quick. Hopefully your dealers aren't assholes

Their is also another TSB for shift shock if anybody is experiencing that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Beware

I had to have a new key cut and programmed and they told me about this "recall" as they called it and said it was mandatory. I swear it seems I'm getting worse gas mileage ever since this update, but it could just be in my head.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had to have a new key cut and programmed and they told me about this "recall" as they called it and said it was mandatory. I swear it seems I'm getting worse gas mileage ever since this update, but it could just be in my head.
My previous vehicle was a 2011 Ram 1500 4X4, and I typically averaged 20-mpg during the summer. After a recall that involved reprogramming the ECU, I never saw 20-mpg again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you have the AT, I believe that reflashing the ECU (or just disconnecting the battery actually) also resets the adaptive "learning" function on the transmission that adjusts the shift points based on your driving habits. It might take a while for the tranny to relearn how you drive and adapt accordingly, especially if your driving habits slant towards saving gas.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My car stalled out and threw a Fuel Rail Sensor code. Took it in to the stealership and they said there was a tsb. They reflashed my ecu and charged me 100 bux. 100 bux to fix something they didn't get right the first time :/

·
Registered
816 Posts
If you have the AT, I believe that reflashing the ECU (or just disconnecting the battery actually) also resets the adaptive "learning" function on the transmission that adjusts the shift points based on your driving habits. It might take a while for the tranny to relearn how you drive and adapt accordingly, especially if your driving habits slant towards saving gas.
Disconnecting the battery is not a flash...the dealerships computers actually download new software to the vehicles computer system.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts