2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
I was just wondering if anyone has ever managed to attach a tow strap to the crash bar or some sort of hole on the chassis. Im tryna get my tow strap to stick out of the front bumper like this.

(keep in mind the tow strap in the current picture is zip tied to some plastic piece in the bumper ?)

Any suggestions or ideas?

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Hey guys!
I was just wondering if anyone has ever managed to attach a tow strap to the crash bar or some sort of hole on the chassis. Im tryna get my tow strap to stick out of the front bumper like this.

(keep in mind the tow strap in the current picture is zip tied to some plastic piece in the bumper )
View attachment 274455
Any suggestions or ideas?
Why not put it where it should be & make it functional?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
444 Posts
Heads-up... those anchor points are intended for use when the vehicles are aboard-ship. The owner's manual, for the Mazada6 at least, explicitly say not to use the single front point or the two rear points as tow straps. The reason for this is that it is impossible to guarantee that the pulling is directly in-line (i.e. exactly at right angles to the threaded portion). A pull that is out-of-line can cause damage to the underlying structure.

I suspect (but don't know for sure) that aboard-ship there are special fixtures that bolt to the deck and allow the pull-angles to be direct as the anchors fasten to these threaded points.

YMMV... they look nice - but maybe they shouldn't be used.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Heads-up... those anchor points are intended for use when the vehicles are aboard-ship. The owner's manual, for the Mazada6 at least, explicitly say not to use the single front point or the two rear points as tow straps. The reason for this is that it is impossible to guarantee that the pulling is directly in-line (i.e. exactly at right angles to the threaded portion). A pull that is out-of-line can cause damage to the underlying structure.

I suspect (but don't know for sure) that aboard-ship there are special fixtures that bolt to the deck and allow the pull-angles to be direct as the anchors fasten to these threaded points.

YMMV... they look nice - but maybe they shouldn't be used.
Agree...they're more show than anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not put it where it should be & make it functional?

Well i mean... i was sorta hoping i can bolt it onto the crash bar or some part in the front of the chassis to give it functionality, which is why im wondering if anyone has ever attempted it and if so, how did they do it? I also have a plate relocation on the front point. So thats not an option ??

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
Well i mean... i was sorta hoping i can bolt it onto the crash bar or some part in the front of the chassis to give it functionality, which is why im wondering if anyone has ever attempted it and if so, how did they do it? I also have a plate relocation on the front point. So thats not an option ??

View attachment 274592
Recovery vehicles would just strap onto the wheels and pull it out. The bumpers aren't made like the 80's cars, which were strong enough for pulling or supporting the vehicle's weight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Recovery vehicles would just strap onto the wheels and pull it out. The bumpers aren't made like the 80's cars, which were strong enough for pulling or supporting the vehicle's weight.
i honestly didnt know that lol, but honestly i just want the damn strap bolted somewhere and not zip tied to my bumper ??. If anything hopefully when i change the grille, i can get a better look into it, experiment and share it with all of you if anyone ever decides to do it, heck maybe even post a yt video ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts