2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I've got a Mazda CX5 2016 and trying to upgrade my firmware to install Carplay (bought the OEM kit). I thought I would tackle this now that I've got spare time because of covid.

My current OS version is 51.00.350. I'm trying to upgrade to 70.x

I discovered that my USB ports aren't working... not sure I ever really tried to use them before.
I've attached a picture of my error code when checking the CMU.
CMU DTC1 - B125287 (USB Port 1-Missing Message)

I've pulled and swapped the fuse for the front dash fuse, and that doesn't seem to be the problem, but no USB detection. Any other thoughts? I reached my hand around the passenger kickboard to check if the wires were still connected and it seemed to be.

I'm at a loss. Scratched up my arm pretty thoroughly.

Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
Did you already replace the HW for the new one? If yes then that’s the reason, old SW doesn’t see it, only 70+.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply but no, haven't replaced hardware yet. This is the stock USB port.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
You could try to remove for a short time the fuses Audio1 and Audio2 in the fuse box in the engine room. But I doubt that this would help. I would rather check, if all connectors at the back of the MZD/CMU are connected correctly. A not properly connected connector at the back of the MZD/CMU could lead to your DTC number - see here and post here. But I also heard about some broken USB modules, which had to be replaced. Fingers crossed for the loose connector.

Please consider, that the latest official info from Mazda about updating to latest FW .352 is the following:
"If the current software version is older than 55.00.650, update first to 70.00.100, then update to the latest version 70.00.352B." Stick to this info, if you do not want to brick your CMU.

And as already said: Install FW 70 first, and only second the new USB hub/cables.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could try to remove for a short time the fuses Audio1 and Audio2 in the fuse box in the engine room. But I doubt that this would help. I would rather check, if all connectors at the back of the MZD/CMU are connected correctly. A not properly connected connector at the back of the MZD/CMU could lead to your DTC number - see here and post here. But I also heard about some broken USB modules, which had to be replaced. Fingers crossed for the loose connector.

Please consider, that the latest official info from Mazda about updating to latest FW .352 is the following:
"If the current software version is older than 55.00.650, update first to 70.00.100, then update to the latest version 70.00.352B." Stick to this info, if you do not want to brick your CMU.

And as already said: Install FW 70 first, and only second the new USB hub/cables.
Yeah, I pulled the CMU out and it seemed that everything was plugged in firmly. I didn't disconnect and reconnect everything, maybe I should do that. Was pretty frustrated by this point.

The actual USB module is extremely hard to pull out, but I did sneak my hand in from the passenger kick panel to try to make sure nothing was disconnected. I couldn't see, but it felt like it was secure as well.

Why do you think Audio1/Audio2 fuses would make a difference? I thought the fuse for the USB module is in the driver side kick panel, and I replaced it with a known working fuse with no change.

Thanks for the tips

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I would recommend to you to disconnect and to reconnect all connectors at the rear of the CMU.

I think, that the CMU, TAU and thus the USB module is connected to the battery via Audio1 and Audio2 fuses... I might be wrong, but that`s also something I would try before buying a new USB module. But my guess is that the connectors are loose or the USB module is broken.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I don't know if I have the same model since mine are located in the center console and you mentioned reaching behind the passenger kicks. But have you tried to use your USB ports to do something else? Like play music using a flash drive or to connect your phone? May be completely off the mark here, but it's just a suggestion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would recommend to you to disconnect and to reconnect all connectors at the rear of the CMU.

I think, that the CMU, TAU and thus the USB module is connected to the battery via Audio1 and Audio2 fuses... I might be wrong, but that`s also something I would try before buying a new USB module. But my guess is that the connectors are loose or the USB module is broken.
Thanks. Reconnected everything to the CMU today, no luck.
Of note, the aux port works perfectly fine...
Not really sure how to test the SD port, I've never used it.

I don't know if I have the same model since mine are located in the center console and you mentioned reaching behind the passenger kicks. But have you tried to use your USB ports to do something else? Like play music using a flash drive or to connect your phone? May be completely off the mark here, but it's just a suggestion.
Yeah you must have a newer model where it's in the center console. Tried multiple things, no USB detection.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
What a pitty. Sorry for you. Then I would guess that the USB module is broken and has to be replaced (new or used).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts