2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I'm getting ready to order a soul red 2017 Mazda 3, and can't decide if I want to upgrade the standard 18" silver rims, for gunmetal ones.

Even looking at pictures doesn't seem to help much.

My concern is that the gunmetal ones look too black, while I think it would look better in a more smoked color.

·
Registered
988 Posts
My honest and humble opinion is that if the Gunmetal color option is for free, then get the Gunmetal, the color adds more personality to the car IMO and looks way better than silver...

If the upgrade is not for free then stay with the regular silver color. At least for me, it's not justifiable to pay extra for a different color of the same type of wheel...it should come as standard and as a free option.

I hope that helps! and good luck :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Trying to decide between silver or gunmetal 18"

If the upgrade is not for free then stay with the regular silver color. At least for me, it's not justifiable to pay extra for a different color of the same type of wheel...

Some may recall that I had wanted to swap my new silver wheels for gunmetal. But then, after living with them and considering the high cost to swap, silver is looking plenty fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I want the gunmetal wheels it is gonna cost some more, and as I'm not quiet sure about the color, I'm going with silver for the moment.

Thx for your help.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's orderd al ready.......to bad ;-)

But i would definitely choose gun metal...

I have a red 3 and powder coated the silver wheels into a dark color, because of damage on the wheels and it is cheaper than buying the gun metal one's.
So i have seen the car on silver one's and dark one's and i LOVE the Red with the dark wheels....

·
Registered
198 Posts
So i have seen the car on silver one's and dark one's and i LOVE the Red with the dark wheels....

Truthfully, the settings (exposure, contrast, etc.) in the first two pics you posted with the silver wheels were distorted in a dramatic way that doesn't represent the Soul Red paint or silver wheels at all well.

Here's my '17 wearing silvers. If I could've had gotten gunmetals for no upcharge, I'd have chosen them. But the silvers – shown accurately – just aren't that bad.

·
Registered
659 Posts
On the red i actually like the silvers in those photos, but could change my mind if shown the same profile of gun metal. The thought of gun metal wheels sounds good to me, but often in practice it doesn't pop so well.

I have the silver on my black mica, would consider it though if say someone wanted to trade for gun metal - like I said the thought is appealing to get that more aggressive look.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The gunmetals would be about €650 more, and I think I can get them powder coated for less than that if I decide they need it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes here in the Netherlands it will cost about 250euro only the powder coating and you have to deliver the wheels without the tires...

So after coating the wheels you have to put the tires on it again as also a new valve and balance them again...

But I couldn't get the same color, gun metal....which I really wanted, so had to choose an other color.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm getting it delivered on 16" winter wheels in gunmetal, then i can see how dark they are, and make a decision about what to do about the 18" wheels.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts