2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Mazda 3 Sedan
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I want to remove my back seat altogether and widen the 43 inches metal opening into the trunk from said back seats. Can that metal be safely cut down a bit? Thank you. 2011 M3Sedan
WW
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2018 3 GT Hatchback,6 Speed MT
358 Posts
i can't say for sure but if I were to removes part of that i would definitely have some other support added, like a rear upper strut brace, Im not sure if they make them for these cars or not, but i'd assume that you would lose some torsional rigidity if you removed some of that metal.

I've had full gutted interior in several of my old cars,
my 91 VW Golf,
my 92 Nissan sentra,
my 95 Civic hatch,
my 99 Honda prelude.
never did i think to cut away some of the structural metal between the trunk and back seat. but if you can reinforce it a little I say F it, give it a try.

·
Registered
Mazda 3 Sedan
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i can't say for sure but if I were to removes part of that i would definitely have some other support added, like a rear upper strut brace, Im not sure if they make them for these cars or not, but i'd assume that you would lose some torsional rigidity if you removed some of that metal.

I've had full gutted interior in several of my old cars,
my 91 VW Golf,
my 92 Nissan sentra,
my 95 Civic hatch,
my 99 Honda prelude.
never did i think to cut away some of the structural metal between the trunk and back seat. but if you can reinforce it a little I say F it, give it a try.

Awesome lol Thanks for that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts