2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,

So i recently bought a 2015 Mazda 3, and my first "mod" was an HID Kit from TRS, it's the Morimot 55w Kit, with relay. So i followed the instructions, i connected the relay to a "ground" and the positive side to the battery ( i put it on top of the other cables on the positive) then i routed the passenger side positive and negative, hooked it all up, and car worked fine. No error lights or etc. i drove the car all day and night no issue, until the next morning i was driving the car just randomly shut off on me, and did not want to start, all the lights,dash everything came on except the engine. i took the car to the dealer and they now just informed me that it was because the way the HID kit was hooked up, that the PCM took a shit. so my for anyone running this kit, have you had any issues? or how did you do your wiring? The car got fixed and they told me they didnt connect my HID kit cause they believe the PCM will burn out again. It its too late to contact TRS as they are closed, but i will in the morning, but just wanted your guys input on what may have cause the issue or any other suggestions on installing the kit?

·
Registered
278 Posts
i doubt it was the hid kit and relay. the relay is there to keep something like this from happening, unless you hooked something up totally wrong. def contact TRS as they will want to know what happend

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been running the Morimoto 55W HID kit in my 2015 CX-5 for over a year and haven't had a problem.
Could you show me how you have yours set up please?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've been running my with a relay kit for over a year 35w no issues

·
Registered
260 Posts
There is nearly 0% chance that the HID kit could effect the PCM. If hooked up properly, the kit draws signal from your 1 headlight wire (draws, not supplies power), takes power from the battery, grounds to a unpainted point, and provides power to the HID's through the relay. The other headlight low beam output should be taped off as it has no function at this point.
No idea why the dealership would think it lead to an PCM failure

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is nearly 0% chance that the HID kit could effect the PCM. If hooked up properly, the kit draws signal from your 1 headlight wire (draws, not supplies power), takes power from the battery, grounds to a unpainted point, and provides power to the HID's through the relay. The other headlight low beam output should be taped off as it has no function at this point.
No idea why the dealership would think it lead to an PCM failure
It is the dealer, you know they will grab onto anything, as for an update: the PCM was replaced, the service manager was cool, he got it done very quick, i have also been speaking to Mazda Corp. to have them replace my car under the Lemon Law, the service manager stated he did receive calls from them and that he is on my side. So i have yet to hear from them. i also spoke to TRS and stated the same, i knew the HID had nothing to do with it, if anything the HID would've blown first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts