2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm having a problem here. I got a new plate recently and needed to take the old one off. Right screw came out fine but the left one would not budge. I tried different drivers until the notches were stripped. Next I tried vice grips until the head came off:|

I'm really not sure what to do at this point. I figured I just take it to Mazda and try to have them get it out. It will give no quarter. The only other thing I can think of is to use a drill bit into the remaining screw (which appears to be plastic) and kind of implode it. I don't think that will damage anything but I don't know whats back there.

Any ideas and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks:laugh2:

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Soak it with a penetrating oil, then grind off what's left flush with the surface. Then center punch it and drill it out.
There is nothing but an empty cavity behind it so if you are lucky it will drive itself thru... then clean up the threads and apply some anti seize before you put on the new bolts.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I probably should have specified that it was on the rear plate.

So I tried the penetrating oil and drilling into it but I really couldn't get anything out of it. One of these past couple days I reached my destination and found that the plate slid off the remaining bolt and was starting to scratch areas on the lid that it was reaching. I then took it straight to my Mazda dealership and explained the problem. As always they were super nice and willing to fit me in. I got it back and they didn't charge so that was nice. On the report it said that I had used the "wrong bolt style." Looked the same to me and I had identical pieces before and one worked and the other didn't. Dunno.

So I went home and opened the hatch gate and immediately heard the long roll of a piece of metal barreling down an incline. I assume they punched the remaining bolt through. That bothered me a little. I guess they got it through and didn't care to retrieve it (and maybe hoped I wouldn't care) or couldn't actually get to it. Or maybe they didn't notice it or thought someone else took care of it; either way I don't know. If anyone knows how hard it is to remove the interior plastic trim on the back of the gate or knows where in the forums some instructions can be found, I might try getting back there myself. It's not like one of those life and death things but for a 2014 car, it's really irking to hear that thing rolling around when I move the gate.

I also thought I'd see the repair itself, so I removed the plate that they had put on for me. I wasn't really expecting to find anything in particular but this is kind of a sore. You'll never see it with the plate on, but it does seem a bit sloppy. However I'm not a auto technician of any kind and don't know what is expected of a task like this and what is considered satisfactory completion. Really I suppose I'm fine with it though. I only have one question: is the exposed metal a rust concern? I've never had any rust but this seems like a likely candidate of any.

Naturally: Thanks for all your feedback.:smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
333 Posts
Exposed metal is indeed a rust concern! Maybe spray the exposed metal with primer, or have that Mazda dealer take care of it for you...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts