2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got impatient and tried deleting my muffler from my 2015 mazda 3 hatch. I got tailpipe cutters and cut right before the muffler and just kindna tacked it up with this metal hanger stuff i found at autozone. now i just been driving around with it and it sounds cool but exhaust fumes worries me and that i won't pass inspection in a year plus it just kind of sounds like it needs to be fixed lol, so at this point i just want to get it back to the stock muffler which is still attached but just disconnected because of my cut.

Any recommendations on how to get it connected to the muffler again? I already brought it to two shops and they said $260 to cut back a bit on the pipe and weld a new pipe and flange on to connect to the old muffler, which I think is robbery so I want to do something myself or order the parts for cheap, do as much as i can on my own and bring it there for any professional work or welding.

Is there a part number for that walker adapter flange donut thing, I have been searching everywhere online and can't seem to find an adapter flange that works since with mazda it goes from 2.5 on the flange to a 2.25 to connect to the pipe.

I'll follow up with a picture so you guys can see.

Thanks in advanced!

·
Super Moderator
5,968 Posts
it just kind of sounds like it needs to be fixed
Maybe because it needs to be fixed...:dunno:......Take it to the shop and have it done right.
Why did you cut it when you could have just taken the flange apart? Leaving the flange left you with many possibilities, now you have one decent option before you can do much else.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,444 Posts
The quoted price of $260 seems fair for the work involved.

Unless you are experienced in welding or can find a replacement mid-pipe, you don't really have any options left.
CK

·
Super Moderator
717 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's sounds like crap. Get it fixed.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would try to find a used pipe that isn't cut on ebay or a local junk yard. I don't see it costing more and it removes the chance of the weld failing in the future

Also when you cut the exhaust weld in a straight pipe that exits somewhere past the body of the car. I have seen people melt their bumpers and wiring and worse set fire to their cars because they didn't route the exhaust correctly. I even knew of a guy who modified the exhaust on his single engine plane (which is actually illegal) and it leaked enough into the cockpit he passed out and crashed (died, R.I.P.)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I hate to say it, but this post makes me laugh, probably because I have made similar mistakes when I were younger. Dude, or "dudette" since I really don't know you, you have a three year old car you lucky rascal! Don't turn it into a hooptie. You made a mistake, put the money together and have your exhaust welded, or scrounge up an additional 40 bucks and while the muffler is being welded back on, have the exhaust man weld that resonator on where your second cat is since you will be there anyway and they would probably do it for next to nothing. If you bond it, wrap it, clamp it, etc etc, it will only give you grief. I know it sucks, but you will be much happier in the long run.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Maybe because it needs to be fixed...:dunno:......Take it to the shop and have it done right.
Why did you cut it when you could have just taken the flange apart? Leaving the flange left you with many possibilities, now you have one decent option before you can do much else.
This, there was no reason at all to do this they gave you the option!
I took the axle back portion off of my CS exhaust and it was just a louder CS exhaust just to see, not ideal realistically and I would rather get noticed for something other than loud exhaust. Nice sound and good looks + driveability. I put it back on BTW, you can get nice sounds without straight piping these. You won't turn heads (probably) but it's modest enough to be fun and keep your sanity, one thing about having this exhaust on the 2.0 was the 70-80mph drone while not loud super it was just enough to make trips longer than 2-3 hours fatiguing. 2.5 solved it.

TL|DR do you, but do it right.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
$260 to get back something you did not want? I'd instead try to find a used aftermarket axleback like RB for a bit more or.... who knows?....for less!
That's DIYable upgrade that will keep you from kicking yourself.:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
$260 to get back something you did not want? I'd instead try to find a used aftermarket axleback like RB for a bit more or.... who knows?....for less!
That's DIYable upgrade that will keep you from kicking yourself.:)
Sometimes ourselves deserve a good kicking.. that's how we learn valuable lessons about patience and how to work/plan smart.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 iGT
225 Posts
Wow...

Where are you located?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Life's lessons are best learned from others...but we never listen.:)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
You aren't kidding! (Although sometimes it is best to try it yourself just to make sure that the others just weren't doing it wrong... ) hmm...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts