2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into getting an RSB but I found a few threads on the two RSBs but I'm trying to find out which one is best. Anyone have any input on that? Thanks in advanced. I know tri-points got the settings but is that really worth it compared to RB's one setting. Any input on which one is best would be greatly appreciated.

·
The One and Only
3,581 Posts
Are you going to track your car? If so, the three setting on the tri-point will help you set up your suspension. If you got a daily driver, save your bucks and get the RB. Also look at the Raceroots / Hotchkis rsb, it just a little bit more $ then the RB and has two settings.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nah i would say you could probably count on one hand how many times i plan to go to the tracks. I'm just looking for something that'll give me the best outta these options without sacrificing too much in comfort.

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
You have to look at the PPI, not just how many settings there are or how thick the bar is. The PPI is going to determine how the bar performs and how much comfort you're going to be sacrificing. IMO, the softest bar is probably the Racing Beat. From there, it's Tri-Point and then Progress. 1300 and 1500 PPI is pretty crazy for a street car. The Tri-Point tops out at 1000 PPI on the stiffest setting. Keep in mind that there are a lot of other 1st gen RSB manufacturers, such as Whiteline, Hotchkis, H&R, and Eibach.

Imo, RB is good if you want a mild increase and/or are strapped for cash. They're pretty easy for find used in the $90-100 range. The Tri-Point bar probably fits a little better (based on what I've seen - no first hand experience with the Tri-Point bar) and can be made quite a bit stiffer. The only downsides are cost and a little less comfort, even on the softest setting.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Racing Beat is releasing a 2010 compatible model soon so if you are leaning towards that brand you might want to wait.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Something to consider when buying a sway and looking at all these ppi ratings is whether you'll be running stock wheels or lower offset aftermarket wheels. The lower your offset (closer to the fender) the more leverage you impart on the suspension. So a 1000lb sway may be pretty stiff with stock wheels but substantially softer with low offset wheels. I'm not 100% sure on this but my racing beat sway felt a lot stiffer before I installed Enkei's and 5mm spacers. It feels kinda soft to me now. Maybe I'm just used to it.
I don't have any evidence so this theory may just be :wacko:

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
Something to consider when buying a sway and looking at all these ppi ratings is whether you'll be running stock wheels or lower offset aftermarket wheels. The lower your offset (closer to the fender) the more leverage you impart on the suspension. So a 1000lb sway may be pretty stiff with stock wheels but substantially softer with low offset wheels. I'm not 100% sure on this but my racing beat sway felt a lot stiffer before I installed Enkei's and 5mm spacers. It feels kinda soft to me now. Maybe I'm just used to it.
I don't have any evidence so this theory may just be :wacko:
That certainly seems logical to me, though I don't have any first-hand experience with such a setup. That may change soon...

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I was just reading on a porsche forum that for every 10mm of less offset your spring rates get lowered by 5%. I assume something similar would go for the swaybar.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guys for the input. RSBs won't prematurely wear out anything will they.. i mean tires (from the higher turning speeds) aside. Srry if it sounds dumb.. i'm relatively new to this.

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
I have never heard of sway bars wearing tires prematurely. If there is any effect, I doubt it would be noticable.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Endlinks take more abuse than normal due to higher loads than originally designed for. Probably wear a little faster than normal. Good reason to upgrade to heavier Mazdaspeed links when they do wear out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts