2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently I bought a 2004 Mazda 3 hatchback 2.3l automatic. Transmission was wierd when I got it. Had to baby it for it to switch gears just right and would stick in certain gears for a while acting like a manual until I came to a complete stop or what not.

replaced the transmission with another used transmission. Now when I hit 3rd gear it goes into limbo and acts like it’s in neutral revving to high rpms and reverse doesn’t work. It did pop a p0500 code for thevehicle speed sensor a. I need help lol please!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If your car has a TCM, I'd have a look at it. In fact I'd have looked at it before I changed the transmission.
If the car is a 2004 model it probably doesn't have a separate TCM. From what I have seen 2006 was the first year for that.
Since I think my tcm and ecm are a 2 in 1. Should I just replace that with another one?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Since I think my tcm and ecm are a 2 in 1. Should I just replace that with another one?
Are you sure it controls the transmission? - note if it does you should be able to read fault codes. Swapping parts can be an expensive way of solving problems but I'd try it if I could get a good replacement unit cheaply.

·
Registered
270 Posts
You should do as arathol originally suggested and have the car properly diagnosed. Throwing parts at a vehicle, hoping to fix the problem, is a foolhardy and ex$pen$ive approach. You're going to feel really stupid if someone gets in there and discovers the problem was caused by a corroded connector or a broken ground wire. Modern vehicles are VERY susceptible to issues which corrupt the +/-5V potential needed for proper operation.

·
Registered
512 Posts
You should do as arathol originally suggested and have the car properly diagnosed. Throwing parts at a vehicle, hoping to fix the problem, is a foolhardy and ex$pen$ive approach. You're going to feel really stupid if someone gets in there and discovers the problem was caused by a corroded connector or a broken ground wire. Modern vehicles are VERY susceptible to issues which corrupt the +/-5V potential needed for proper operation.
Try cleaning every electrical plug connected to the TCM , the transmission and the selector with contact cleaner and clean and remake every ground. As Gary suggested might solve your problem cheaply and quickly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.