2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep having a repeated issue with a transmission leak on my 2010 Mazda 3. From what I can tell of the maintenance records, it's always the transmission oil pressure switch that is found to be leaking. They replace it, tell me everything is good, a year later I bring my car back in for an oil change or inspection or whatever, and they tell me my transmission is leaking again. I'm on leak #6 right now, waiting for parts to come in.

I've been to two different dealers and two different independent mechanics and the pattern is consistent with all of them, so it's not one shady place scamming me or something. The first leak was spotted about a year after I got the car, and each subsequent leak seems to be spotted about a year after I get the previous one fixed. The first three times it did get fixed under warranty. I only take the car in for maintenance about twice a year, so it could be starting more quickly than that. With this car, I've pretty much only gone to a mechanic once or twice when I wasn't there to either fix the leak or get told I had a leak.

I'm not hard on the car, I keep up with maintenance, and I don't drive it that frequently (it only has about 55k miles on it). I've never had any other problems with it. I don't understand why this keeps happening over and over. Is this a common issue with this part on this car? I tried to do some research and it doesn't seem to be. Is it possible there's some other problem with the transmission that would cause this part to repeatedly fail? I feel like if this was a badly-designed part that caused lots of problems, or was something meant to be replaced often, like a battery, I'd have come across that information by now.

The last time I was at the mechanic, I brought a list of the car's history with leaks with me and they told me they'd never seen so many transmission issues on a single car and that I should file a formal complaint with Mazda. I don't know what, if anything, they would do at this point. It's frustrating because I otherwise really like the car and might have even bought a second Mazda in a few years, but I am tired of dealing with this and I would not want to go through something similar again with a new car.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wow, that sounds like an unlucky problem.

I've been running my car since 2012 without a single leak on any fluids.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've not had an issue with my 2011 3S 2.5 auto however I've read that the Mazda's weak spot was how hot the transmission oil gets. At 17k I purge all of the transmission fluid and replaced it with Redline D4. Then every 10k a I do a simple drain and fill of 3.3 qts from the trans pan. I'm at 53k and will do a 2nd purge of all the trans fluid. I not heard of anyone having your issue with the switch leaking over and over again. Does seem odd/unusual.

Does the leak come from the pan seal? One thing that was noted when dropping the trans pan is to give the seal synthetic gasket material 20 to 24 hours to cure before using your car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like on repair no. 2 they replaced the gasket but didn't say that it was leaking. On repair no. 3, the switch and the gasket were leaking and both were replaced. No one ever told me not to drive it for 24 hours afterward, though. The most recent time I was told about a leak, they said the transmission pan was leaking, but when I brought it back for a closer look they confirmed it's the pressure switch. So I'm not sure if the pan ever leaked at all in the first place, or if it just had fluid all over it and they replaced it just in case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts